Best of the rest?

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
RETRTOKID

Best of the rest?

Postby RETRTOKID » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Lots of text / graphics adventures for the BBC & Electron, but did anyone have a favourite on another platform that never got to see the light of day on a BBC or Electron.

Not really talking about the biggie's like 'The Pawn' or 'Fish' but some of the smaller less know efforts.

I've found that the rare less talked about games often prove to be little gems in themselves.

I'm maybe looking to start a conversion project to keep me interested on these wet cold days!

davidb

Re: Best of the rest?

Postby davidb » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:14 pm

It seems that the review for The Pawn in Computer & Video Games listed a BBC disk version of the game. Now that the source code has been recovered, maybe there's a slim chance that we'll see a BBC version at long last.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:12 pm

RETRTOKID wrote:Lots of text / graphics adventures for the BBC & Electron, but did anyone have a favourite on another platform that never got to see the light of day on a BBC or Electron. Not really talking about the biggie's like 'The Pawn' or 'Fish' but some of the smaller less know efforts.

Haven't played it, but Custerd's Quest looks like it might make for an interesting conversion.

davidb wrote:It seems that the review for The Pawn in Computer & Video Games listed a BBC disk version of the game. Now that the source code has been recovered, maybe there's a slim chance that we'll see a BBC version at long last.

Interesting! I hope that we eventually get to see the notes for the aborted Restaurant At The End Of The Universe game too!

restaurant1-640.jpg
    Photo of notes for an aborted
    Restaurant At The End Of The Universe
    text adventure game by Magnetic Scrolls
:idea:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 am

Back in the mid 80's while most of my friends and I had BBCs or Spectrums one friend had an Oric. He had one adventure game for it, Zodiac by Tansoft, and I remember playing it with him for a while but getting stuck with a ladder and a tall wall we couldn't get over. A few months ago I downloaded Oricutron and had another crack at it, solving it within a week or so (the benefit of experience I suppose). It's not a big game but I really enjoyed playing it, partly out of nostalgia of course.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:26 am

Hi Lurkio, just looked at your link to the Custerd's Quest article in Crash Magazine. I like the monthly column by Derek Brewster, lots of potential for unearthing speccy adventure gems, so I'll be doing some downloading and reading over the next few days. Archive.org has probably about half the issues it seems.

Dethmunk

Postby Dethmunk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:49 am

Although it came out on BBC.. A BBC and Electron version of The Hobbit with the Graphics!! :-)

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Dethmunk wrote:A BBC and Electron version of The Hobbit with the Graphics!! :-)

There's already a Beeb one here:

:idea:

Return to “adventures”