Xanadu Adventure hints and tips

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

Xanadu Adventure hints and tips

Postby b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 am

Hi, I was playing the game (version 2t) with the help of the walkthrough and the bit about "Trapping" the dragon in the Magic Room....how did anyone work that out? Is that something borrowed from Colossal Cave?

12.png

lurkio

Re: Xanadu Adventure hints and tips

Postby lurkio » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:25 am

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 wrote:Hi, I was playing the game (version 2t) with the help of the walkthrough and the bit about "Trapping" the dragon in the Magic Room....how did anyone work that out? Is that something borrowed from Colossal Cave?

No, the dragon in Colossal Cave is vanquished quite easily, as I recall.

Trapping one of the Xanadu dragons was something I dreamt up after I got sick of them killing me all the time. (The author later told me that the idea of trapping a dragon had never occurred to him!) You lose a few points for leaving the dragon alive, but it makes the game a heck of a lot easier. Which is to say it becomes only highly torturous.

Btw, please note that the walkthrough is flawed: it wrongly assumes that you'll always find the money before you get past the troll, which isn't necessarily true, apparently.

:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:02 am

lurkio wrote:it wrongly assumes that you'll always find the money before you get past the troll
These threads are like the hardware ones; in a completely different language! :lol: :?: [-X :-#

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:37 pm

richardtoohey wrote:
lurkio wrote:it wrongly assumes that you'll always find the money before you get past the troll
These threads are like the hardware ones; in a completely different language!

When it comes to Beeb text adventures, I actually think there aren't enough trolls on this forum.

:wink:

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

Postby b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:12 pm

I have found another interesting behaviour (still playing version 2t)- From the Enchanted Glade, if you say "MINH" to get to the Magic Room, you cannot move in any direction out of the Magic Room, although you can "MINH" to get back to the Enchanted Glade. However, if you move into the Magic Room normally (east from the damp room with stalactites) you can move north out of the Magic Room as expected !

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:11 pm

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 wrote:I have found another interesting behaviour (still playing version 2t)- From the Enchanted Glade, if you say "MINH" to get to the Magic Room, you cannot move in any direction out of the Magic Room, although you can "MINH" to get back to the Enchanted Glade. However, if you move into the Magic Room normally (east from the damp room with stalactites) you can move north out of the Magic Room as expected !

Interesting! I didn't know this. So it looks like the author didn't want to create a shortcut into the Magic Room -- only out of it!

You could say that this is yet another trick that Xanadu Adventure uses to drive you potty (as if it needed one), and that's true, but it's also true that a lot of intricate design and playtesting seems to have gone into getting all the interlocking parts of the game working just so -- which I can appreciate now, with hindsight, but certainly didn't while I was tearing my hair out trying to solve the blasted thing (which, technically, I suppose I still haven't, quite (aargh!))!

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

Postby b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:04 am

I seem to have got caught out again - DO you have to OIL DOOR each time you go through the Rusty Door?

I can't remember where I left the bottle after using it last.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:14 am

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 wrote:I seem to have got caught out again - DO you have to OIL DOOR each time you go through the Rusty Door?

No. Only the first time.

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

Postby b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:52 am

uh oh - I must have oiled it, gone back to a saved game then forgot to oil it :(

I will go back to the state just after I have watered the beanstalk.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:43 pm

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 wrote:uh oh - I must have oiled it, gone back to a saved game then forgot to oil it :(

Easily done!

Incidentally, in any of your sessions, did you ever find that you had to get past the troll before you could reach the MONEY?

:?:

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

Postby b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Here is the saved state with all the walkthrough completed up to step 34:

[url="http://thefatguy.co.uk/Troll_postcards.uef"]Save State with Postcards at the Troll's Bridge[/url]

The saved game could be useful as it enables people to find out about part 2 without the considerable effort of part 1.

For this playing, I have been using the same session for all my playing. (i.e. the same original game but made use of lots of saved states that I could fall back on in case of mistakes)

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks!

Just had a quick go with your savestate, and the troll trolled me by "pretending" the postcards weren't good enough!:

Untitled.png
Screenshot

Return to “adventures”