Rise in Crime by Robico / Hayley Software

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Rise in Crime by Robico / Hayley Software

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 am

After just completing Escape from Enthar 7 by Robico I've just discovered through these forums that they released a game for the Archimedes called Rise in Crime. It was written by the two guys from Hayley Software who had teamed up with Robico.
Could anyone recommend a suitable Archimedes emulator for Windows 10 for me to run it on ? I've no experience of the Archimedes so hopefully it won't be too difficult to pick up. Ideally I'd like the emulator to have a "save state" function so I can save my positions.

fuzzel

Re: Rise in Crime by Robico / Hayley Software

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:42 pm

I've managed to get the game working by downloading Arculator, the requisite roms and a blank floppy disc for save games.
I've really enjoyed getting started on this game, apparently its BIG, and I love the humour. Also there doesn't seem to be a solution on the web so hopefully I'll be the first to post one (probably in about three years...)
One minor niggle is that when I save a game, the game doesn't give me the option to choose which drive I want to save to so I have to change disc from the game disc to the save disc, save game, then change back from the save disc to the game disc. I wonder if anyone can help with this ?

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Problem solved, the game gives you 9 ram save slots which you can use during a session then use the disc save when you're finished.

Great game this but stuck already ! Anyone else fancy a go ?

I wonder if anyone has the original discs / documentation for it?

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:25 pm

I will - do you have a link to the disk images?

d.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi danielj, the game is to be found here:

http://heyley.vocks.org.uk/riseincrime.htm

800k blank floppy is here:

http://arcem.sourceforge.net/index.html#downloads

Arculator is here:

http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/download.html

Do a search for the roms if you need them. I found a download site with the following file: RISC OS 3.11 (ROM) (Acorn)

If you need help getting the game to work let me know.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:10 pm

It could be interesting to check if this game is in wizard Jon's list.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Who's wizard Jon ?

I wish there was a list of acceptable commands / phrases for this game. I know what I want to do but the bloomin game is having none of it.

Reminds me of playing Escape from Enthar 7, I wanted to insert ticket in slit which it didn't understand. Insert ticket into slit did the job though. I hurt my head on the desk after that one..

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:15 pm

This game is typical Robico. You start the game locked up in a bedsit prison cell and have to escape. It's taken me an hour or two but I'm finally out and ready to explore the city.

One slight problem though is I can't save my position to the saved game disc I've created. If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:19 pm

fuzzel wrote:Who's wizard Jon ?

I wish there was a list of acceptable commands / phrases for this game. I know what I want to do but the bloomin game is having none of it.

Reminds me of playing Escape from Enthar 7, I wanted to insert ticket in slit which it didn't understand. Insert ticket into slit did the job though. I hurt my head on the desk after that one..

I must admit it is why I have never been fond of this kind of games.

Jon is Jonathan Abbott aka Sirbod on this forum and he is completing preserving all Archie games (at least when he has been granted permission to do so by the copyright owner(s)).

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:55 pm

fuzzel wrote:I wish there was a list of acceptable commands / phrases for this game. I know what I want to do but the bloomin game is having none of it.

There seems to be a full walkthrough (solution) on the Data disc on the Heyley website you linked to:

(I'm not too familiar with Archies, so I just opened the Data disc-image in a hex editor app on my laptop.)

:idea:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks Lurkio. How do you reverse the file contents ? Everything reads backwards !

Not that I'm intending to cheat of course.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 pm

fuzzel wrote:How do you reverse the file contents ? Everything reads backwards !

The walkthrough text isn't backwards. It's at offset &3A800 inside the riseincrimedata.adf disc-image file.

Untitled.png
:idea:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks Lurkio, I hadn't got that far to notice the walkthrough. I imported the file into excel and used a macro to reverse the text so I could look at the locations and messages if I needed to.

By the way, this game is an absolute cracker ! The humour is Douglas Adams-esque, the location descriptions are top notch and the puzzles are challenging but solveable. I'm enjoying it immensely so far. Everyone - play it !

Return to “adventures”