Lords of Time 2

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Lords of Time 2

Postby fuzzel » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:06 pm

After following Dethmunk's progress over the last few months with his impressive looking graphic adventure, I've been motivated to start work on my text only sequel to Level 9's Lords of Time. Ideally I'll have the first level completed by the end of the Christmas holidays so I thought I'd share my progress on this forum and hopefully get back some useful tips and suggestions.
I'll be writing the game in basic in Beebem and have so far written routines for word wrap for location descriptions and inventory listing (using commas and "and" to list the objects held or worn). One problem encountered with this is that the game pauses for a couple of seconds while it calculates the text string to print. A way round this is to set the speed to 2 which makes the game playable and doesn't appear to affect text input (any faster and you get at least double key inputs). The alternative is to stick with the original text but add spaces in the appropriate places. However, I've noticed when the text is printed that it always appears one character in from the left. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can move it back?
I've yet to decide all of the time zones I'll be incorporating but two I will definitely be using are the present (L1) and Victorian "pea soup" London.

lurkio

Re: Lords of Time 2

Postby lurkio » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:47 pm

fuzzel wrote:I've noticed when the text is printed that it always appears one character in from the left. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can move it back?

Your text-wrapping algorithm might be wrong. Post the code up here and we can have a look.

You might be interested in this series of articles from The Micro User about writing text adventure games in BASIC:

See also:

You might also want to consider using Graphic Adventure Creator (GAC) instead of BASIC. GAC does a lot of the rote stuff like text-wrapping for you, and it has other useful and powerful features for text adventures. (Oh, and games written in GAC can be text-only. Graphics are optional.)

:idea:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks Lurkio, I'd written the text-wrap code in excel vb first as it's easier to test it there. I've just noticed there is a space at the beginning of each text line in vb so my code is wrong. I'll fix it this afternoon.
I had thought about using GAC, I had a copy of it back in the day, but I like the idea of writing my own program from scratch in BBC Basic.
Now that I've done the first few locations (with more than a nod to the original) it's quite satisfying to see it working like a real Level 9 game !

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Regarding my word-wrap routine, the way I've done it is to take the original string, divide it up into an array (list) of individual words leaving out the spaces then put them into a new array of strings of lines of 40 characters or less printing each in turn. I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing it though.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:16 pm

fuzzel wrote:Regarding my word-wrap routine ... I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing it though.

Yes, there is! See the Micro User PDF I linked to above, for example.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:39 pm

See also this seven-part series of articles from Electron User magazine on writing text adventure games, by Bill Trevelyan (who implies in Part 2 that he helped write Woodbury End), Clive Gifford, and Julia Battle:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks, I'll read it through. I've just about finished writing the first level in basic but already I'm conscious of the memory limitations.
I've just spent a couple of days writing a text compression routine which cuts the text down, so far to about 60% of the original size.
I'll either replace the most common 200 words with individual characters from the 256 available or I'll use the most common 3 and 4 consecutive characters instead.
Unfortunately as it's in basic it'll slow the game down.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:03 pm

fuzzel wrote:Unfortunately as it's in basic it'll slow the game down.

If you post the decompression code here, someone might be able to suggest how to speed it up, if you want.

catventure

Postby catventure » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi,

How is it going along? Are you still making this "sequel"?
I like text adventures and the original was one of my favourites!
Catventure.

( Author of TAB for Windows: Retro text adventure creator similar to QUILL/PAW/GAC. Visit http://tab.thinbasic.com )

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks for asking. I worked on it over the Christmas break, completing the "at home" opening section before almost finishing Level 1, a country village set in the present. Unfortunately, I've been distracted by other things since then. I might get back to it over the summer. I just need to decide when the next level will be. I like the idea of 7th Century Anglo Saxon England, perhaps with a dragon terrorising a village or the aftermath of it. There would also have to be a dinosaur level as well.

catventure

Postby catventure » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:03 am

Good to hear you've not given up or abandoned it!

catventure.
Catventure.

( Author of TAB for Windows: Retro text adventure creator similar to QUILL/PAW/GAC. Visit http://tab.thinbasic.com )

Return to “adventures”