Adventure Quest by Level 9 - What is that mysterious message ?

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Adventure Quest by Level 9 - What is that mysterious message ?

Postby fuzzel » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:02 am

I've just been replaying Adventure Quest by Level 9 and I want to read the message down the well.
Unfortunately you can't use the lamp because water extinguishes it and you can't get the jelly-fish from the underwater section to the well because it
disintegrates on contact with air (the two areas aren't linked).
There is a tantalising hint of a message in the Level 9 cluesheet:
256. There' [sic] no reason to visit here during the game. However, if you
can get here with a light - and it stays lit - there is a message for
you to read.
If you know the message please don't post it and spoil the fun, I'd rather find it out for myself.
I recall managing it on my old beeb by loading the tape save game file into memory and changing the byte which stored the current location but I'm unable to do that in Beebem because the game won't save to disc being too big (unless anyone knows a dfs that runs at E00) and I don't know how tape saves work.

While I'm on this subject, can anyone think of any other games where there are hidden messages which can only be found by devious means ?

fuzzel

Re: Adventure Quest by Level 9 - What is that mysterious message ?

Postby fuzzel » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:50 pm

I've answered my own question. I figured out how to use load tape and record tape, worked out where my location and where the objects were stored in the data file QDAT and then gave myself all the objects down the well.
For those of you who are curious I've attached a bmp file of the message, a bit disappointing I suppose given my effort over the last couple of hours....
Odd that I couldn't find it anywhere using google, maybe these games just aren't that popular any more.
For my next challenge, the mighty Colossal Cave.
Attachments
adv quest well message.zip
(9.65 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Congrats on making progress with these adventures! I haven't looked at your .BMP because I might get round to playing Adv Quest one day. I live in hope. :wink:

Did you ever finish What's Eeeyore's?

:?:

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:28 pm

spoiler for lurkio 8-[
Attachments
adv quest well message.jpg
ImageImageImage

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi Lurkio try not to read the above message !
I got very close to finishing What's Eeyores but am stuck on the Giant's table. I need to get Eeyore's tail but can't.
I also haven't found a way of removing the nail from the Tin Man's neck so they may be part of the same fiendish chaining puzzle.
Any chance you could play it a bit more, I think you're my only hope unless the authors out there read this.
I reckon this and Locks of Luck must be the least solved adventures ever written for the BBC, it's a shame they never got a wider circulation
because they appear to be top notch adventures. Someone should have shot their marketing man.

Return to “adventures”