Colossal Cave, 551 Point Version for Panos

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
danielj

Colossal Cave, 551 Point Version for Panos

Postby danielj » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Trying to work out where best to stick this in the forum. Decided on here. As it's an adventure.

So, what good is a "Mainframe on the desktop" without ADVENT installed on it?

In the attached zip are two double sided disk images. One (ADPRG.DSD) contains the program (ADVENT-rif) on side 0 and data file (ADVTXT) on side 1, the other contains the sources on side 0 and the unprocessed data file (ADVDAT) on side 1.

ADVENT-rif and ADVTXT need to be in the same directory for it to run! That means it can't be run from floppy unfortunately (or perhaps it can, but it might need some Panos-fu which I'm not party to)

This was the earliest version I thought I had a chance of getting to play ball, it was still not straight forward - the IOR, IAND and IEOR functions are missing from Acorn's implementation of F77 (they're non-standard, but most had them), so I ended up writing them in Pascal then finally working out how to call a Pascal module from Fortran - which is doable although it's not immediately obvious from the documentation how it actually works. That's probably more down to me not speaking either language :D

The good news is it should run without an FPU - I've checked through the source and everything seems to be an integer, I couldn't find any REALs.

Please let me know how you get on. It was compiled on Panos 1.4 so mileage on 1.1 may vary (you should, however, be able to recompile it if it doesn't work!).

d.
Attachments
PanosAdventure.zip
(214.92 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

hoglet

Re: Colossal Cave, 551 Point Version for Panos

Postby hoglet » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:12 pm

Just got this installed onto my ADFS SD Card.

Really cool to be running the original Fortran version of Colossal Cave on a Beeb!

Dave

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Great, pleased it ran for you! I get a huge nostalgia blast every time I see the intro text. I'm looking at the earliest known version which is floating around on the web, in Fortran IV. Someone's had it compiling under g77 with a few amendments, so I'm hopeful I can get it to work. I think it uses a floating point RAND function though, so there might be a bit of jiggery pokery required...

d.

DarkForestCrow

Postby DarkForestCrow » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:00 pm

I played it online.

Awesome old-school text quest.

It's very interesting that guys here manage to actually launch it in the original, true way via computer.
Imagination is the most powerful graphics controller.

Interactive fiction, text-interactions based and roleplaying games

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:51 am

What a great idea 8) When I get round to having a play with mine, I'll have to try this out. Anything else like this for panos?

danielj

Postby danielj » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:30 pm

After the trauma of getting that to compile, I've not had a go at anything else - but I think there was a version of SPICE for it?

d.

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:32 pm

SPICE? Will I be able to control the universe with that? :mrgreen:

danielj

Postby danielj » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:35 pm

vanpeebles wrote:SPICE? Will I be able to control the universe with that? :mrgreen:

Return to “adventures”