B-Em: Time for a release?

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
Coeus

B-Em: Time for a release?

Postby Coeus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Related to my other post about possibly creating packages I noticed that in GitHub we have 310 commits and 23 branches but only one release and that is marked a pre-release as it was really just a way of distributing a Windows executable. So should we soon have a proper release, with a number and downloadable packages? So far the GIT master version has at least these changes since v2.2.

Features
  • Implement RTC for Master
  • Working 32016 co-processor (shared with PiTubeDirect)
  • Emulate a SCSI hard disk.
  • VDFS - selective access to host filesystem as a standard Acorn filing system.
  • Music 5000 emulation (from Beech, via Hoglet)
  • Music 4000 emulation via MIDI
  • Load ROMs into specific slots
  • Debugging on all current tube processors
  • Debugger "step over subroutine"
  • Debugger: optional refresh screen in single-step/when breakpoint hit.
  • Debugger: tracing instructions to a file
  • Video NuLa
Bug Fixes
  • potential crashes when loading tapes
  • 'wandering' keyboard redefine dialog on Linux port
  • CSW files now work on 64-bit Linux
  • Unix: Force menu closure on selection
  • Unix: Fix fullscreen handling
  • Add missing SBC zero page indirect X on tube 6502
  • Fix SBC overflow (V) in binary mode on main and tube 6502
  • Fix aparent error with carry flag in undocumented instructions.
  • Better consistency between Windows and Linux GUIs.
  • i8271: fix emulation always reporting drive as ready
  • i8271: ensure spindown happens on disk fault and on closing a disk image.
  • 65816: Fix failure to remember 65816 is enabled
  • mouse: Fix not working Y direction in 80186 co-pro Gem.
  • 6502: fix BCD errors on both main and tube 6502 (but not 65C02)
  • 65c02: Added missing BIT zp,X (0x34) instruction
  • 65c02 core/tube: Correted NOP lengths
  • 65c02 core/tube: Fixed ZP wrapping issue with inditect addressing
  • 6502tube: implement Rockwell instructions RMB/SMB and BBR/BBS
  • debugging: fix disassembly of 6502 opcode 24, BIT zp
  • Fix 256 byte transfer over Tube hangs
  • video: fix loadstate/savestate inconsistency

evert67

Re: B-Em: Time for a release?

Postby evert67 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 pm

The more emultators, the better of course. I'm however looking for a new release of BeebEm, which I think currently is the best Windows-based emulator for Windows.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:37 pm

evert67 wrote:The more emultators, the better of course. I'm however looking for a new release of BeebEm, which I think currently is the best Windows-based emulator for Windows.

That's fine. This wasn't an advert attempting to convert people and BeebEm discussion also happens pretty often on here. There is also MAME, which emulatew more things that you care to imagine and s2, Tom Seddon's new emulator as well as a bunch of Atom ones.

evert67

Postby evert67 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:40 pm

How can I switch notifications by email off? I just got one containing the above message.

guesser

Postby guesser » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Has the vidnula in mode 7 been sorted? That didn't appear to be working in the test build Kieran uploaded and said he might take a look at it when he had time.

I tried to get it building here myself but couldn't sort out the dependencies and gave up for fear of screwing up my build environment.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:39 pm

guesser wrote:Has the vidnula in mode 7 been sorted?

Is there a test I can run to see including a description of what I should see?

The current Video NuLa in B-Em master did get a second round of changes - those that implement left blanking and something else I forget (attributes, maybe?).

guesser

Postby guesser » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I was just typing in the examples in the VideoNuLA manual, and they were having no effect in mode 7

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:42 pm

guesser wrote:I was just typing in the examples in the VideoNuLA manual, and they were having no effect in mode 7

I have just read through the VideoNuLA and the impression I get is that all you can do in Mode 7 is change the physical to RGB palette mapping. The attribute modes, smooth scrolling and left blanking are only applicable to the non-teletext video modes. With that in mind I'll do some tests.

guesser

Postby guesser » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 am

I gathered you could map all except black to the VideoNuLA palette in mode 7.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:13 am

guesser wrote:I gathered you could map all except black to the VideoNuLA palette in mode 7.

I think you should be able to and it doesn't seem to make much different. I'll investigate further.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 pm

guesser wrote:I gathered you could map all except black to the VideoNuLA palette in mode 7.

I have opened Issue#33 on GitHub to track this and there is a potential implementation in the GitHub branch sf/nula-mode7. You didn't say if you are running this on Windows, Linux, BSD etc.

guesser

Postby guesser » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:51 pm

On Windows, using the build in this post http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 30#p186335

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:33 pm

I'd be very up for a release of the binaries (both Win and Linux) . I've not found it straight forward to put a build together with the correct dependencies. I'm hoping that the fixes for Win 10 have been merged.

I should say that I'm very appreciative re contributors' efforts. A big =D> thanks to everyone who has contributed to updating B-em to date. It's my favourite emulator ..it's helped me immensely in debugging my Beeb coding efforts.
I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12

ThomasAdam

Postby ThomasAdam » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 am

We could release. Although I would like to get the installation prefix stuff done.

I'm happy to pick this up, it wouldn't take too long, either.

-- Thomas Adam

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

ThomasAdam wrote:We could release. Although I would like to get the installation prefix stuff done.

I'm happy to pick this up, it wouldn't take too long, either.

-- Thomas Adam

I agree it would be good to make B-Em more packaging friendly for a release. That is pretty much why I posted on the two subjects at the same time.

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:55 pm

I that normal that you cant do a snapshot in B-Em if you are in the debugger, it goes through the steps but does not save anything.
Peter.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:51 am

vanekp wrote:I that normal that you cant do a snapshot in B-Em if you are in the debugger, it goes through the steps but does not save anything.
Peter.

Peter, I have never tried this but looking at the code in B-Em I think I can see why it would behave in the way you describe. When you go to save a snapshot the GUI thread does the bit of showing a file chooser and letting you pick the filename and then sets a flag to say that saving a snapshot is required. The main emulator thread then picks up the request as part of its main loop. When you have debugging enabled and the debugger has stopped the CPU and is awaiting your command that main emulator thread is not looking at the flag to say that saving a snapshot is needed and doesn't do it. If you were to issue the continue command in the debugger I would bet the snapshot file would appear but then in a slightly different state than where you had got to.

I am not sure why it was written this way - it maybe because allowing the GUI thread to do the snapshot save whilst the emulator continues to run risks saving a snapshot that is internally inconsistent.

It may be possible to change the way this works because there is already a case where choosing a reset from the GUI pauses the main emulator thread while the reset happens so maybe the same trick could be used for snapshots.