Beebem screen reader text view

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
fuzzel

Beebem screen reader text view

Postby fuzzel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am

In Beebem / View / Screen Reader Text View I can see the text on the BBC screen and can copy and paste this into Notepad or Word.

How do I get a scrolled amount of text displayed ? For example, if I'm playing a text adventure and I want to record my progress how do I
access a long continuous stream of input/output, not just what's currently on the screen ?

lurkio

Re: Beebem screen reader text view

Postby lurkio » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:06 am

fuzzel wrote:In Beebem / View / Screen Reader Text View I can see the text on the BBC screen and can copy and paste this into Notepad or Word.

I hadn't actually used the Screen Reader feature till just now! Interesting. Must remember it. It might come in handy.

fuzzel wrote:How do I get a scrolled amount of text displayed ? For example, if I'm playing a text adventure and I want to record my progress how do I access a long continuous stream of input/output, not just what's currently on the screen ?

Yes, it would have been good if this feature -- recording a "transcript" of scrolling text, e.g. in a text adventure gameplay session -- had been built into BeebEm, but I don't think it is, and I don't think any other Beeb emulator can do it either.

Have you tried pressing Ctrl-B, to send text output to a printer? You'd first have to select the Printer option in the Comms menu in BeebEm (to send the output of the text adventure game to the host OS's clipboard, or to a file, via a "virtual printer"). Then you press Ctrl-B after the game has loaded. Or you can try pressing Ctrl-B just before loading, but in this case you'd have to load manually, with CHAIN "GAME" or whatever, because I don't think the effect of the Ctrl-B persists after a Shift-Break.

If none of that works, there's sometimes a workaround: if you can hack a game -- or hex-edit a Saved State of that game -- and sneak ASCII code &02 into an appropriate place in the text that the game displays on screen, then you can select the Printer option in the Comms menu as I mentioned above. (Tricking the program into printing ASCII code &02 is equivalent to manually pressing Ctrl-B.)

Which game are you trying to get a transcript of?

:?:
Last edited by lurkio on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Re: Beebem screen reader text view

Postby fuzzel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:59 am

It's Magic by Central Computing is the game I'm playing at the moment.
The reason is I somehow managed to get a FIREBALL spell while I was wandering aimlessly around trying everything and I haven't been able to
work out how I got it. If I had a transcript I could replay the game until I found out what I'd done.

Return to “emulators”