BeebEm 4.1.4 has stopped working

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
User avatar
SimonSideburns
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 pm
Location: Purbrook, Hampshire
Contact:

BeebEm 4.1.4 has stopped working

Postby SimonSideburns » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi

Up until recently I was quite happy using BeebEm on my laptop.

For about a couple of weeks (it's hard to pinpoint exactly when) I have been unable to run it. A window appears, but doesn't go right through to boot. A part of the first "Boo" from the "Boo Beep" sound is heard, but gets cut off part way through, and then the "program has stopped working" dialog appears. I have to press OK or is it Cancel on that message window, then Cancel the next before the program quits.

I also found the original .zip file of the program, extracted that and ran it too, but that did exactly the same thing.

More and more, however, I hear that Beebem isn't the best program (it's less accurately emulated) than other programs, so maybe it's time to change to another emulator, but I'm not aware of any others with as simple to use interface. I'd like to keep BeebEm on my system in a working condition either way.

I have no idea what I've done, nor how to fix it. The only thing I can think to do is rename the BeebEm folder that resides in My Documents and try running it again, to see if there's something wrong in the configuration. Any suggestions?
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: BeebEm 4.1.4 has stopped working

Postby lurkio » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Wiser heads than mine will be along in a moment, no doubt, but till then...

What OS version are you on?

Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling?

Have you tried reverting to a Restore Point from a date on which your BeebEm installation was known to be working?

:?:

User avatar
SimonSideburns
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 pm
Location: Purbrook, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: BeebEm 4.1.4 has stopped working

Postby SimonSideburns » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:25 pm

I just have uninstalled and reinstalled it. Strangely enough, it's now working.

I don't know what I did to mess it up.

Just got to look forward to any new versions that come along that improve emulation.
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: BeebEm 4.1.4 has stopped working

Postby lurkio » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Glad it's working again. Win BeebEm 4.14 has survived for a remarkably long time, I think, and still works well -- I sometimes use it under Wine on my Mac (but my main emu is Mac BeebEm)! -- although it does have a couple of emulation flaws, as you say, and I've heard reports of meta-failures, perhaps especially on newer Windows versions, such as Lee's inability to get it to remember his saved settings between launches!

There's at least one major thread around here where the wizards have been updating and improving BeebEm, and I hope one of them will pop up and post a dummy's installation guide for their new version(s) because I found it all a bit daunting last time I looked!

:?:

chrisn
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK

Re: BeebEm 4.1.4 has stopped working

Postby chrisn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:35 pm

SimonSideburns wrote:For about a couple of weeks (it's hard to pinpoint exactly when) I have been unable to run it. A window appears, but doesn't go right through to boot. A part of the first "Boo" from the "Boo Beep" sound is heard, but gets cut off part way through, and then the "program has stopped working" dialog appears.

I've seen something similar occasionally. I'll see if I can track down what's happening and add some error checks...

SimonSideburns wrote:More and more, however, I hear that Beebem isn't the best program (it's less accurately emulated) than other programs, so maybe it's time to change to another emulator, but I'm not aware of any others with as simple to use interface.

There's been some renewed interest in BeebEm recently, and a new version is in the works with some great new features. Don't give up on it just yet... :D

lurkio wrote:I've heard reports of meta-failures, perhaps especially on newer Windows versions, such as Lee's inability to get it to remember his saved settings between launches!

I didn't know about this one. I'd recommend that people post any issues like this on GitHub. Or we could make a dedicated thread here to keep track of them?

lurkio wrote:There's at least one major thread around here where the wizards have been updating and improving BeebEm, and I hope one of them will pop up and post a dummy's installation guide for their new version(s) because I found it all a bit daunting last time I looked!

The plan is to publish a new version on the BeebEm website that you can just download install as before. I'll update the other threads on the state of progress on that.

User avatar
jgharston
Posts: 2658
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Whitby/Sheffield

Re: BeebEm 4.1.4 has stopped working

Postby jgharston » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 pm

I thought it was just me. I've seen exactly the same thing. I think I assumed my virus scanner had killed it, I extracted the original from the archive and it worked again.

Oddly, I think I did a binary diff, and it was identical.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

User avatar
tricky
Posts: 1823
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Contact:

Re: BeebEm 4.1.4 has stopped working

Postby tricky » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:54 pm

I have had similar issues and usually it is the graphics settings work ok, but not in Windowed and I was last using them in full screen (or vice versa etc) Reinstalling, or just overwriting the settings configs file has always fixed it for me.
B-em is graphically more accurate, but if memory serves, needs the audio fix I posted in the thread, which I believe got merged into github. Sorry if I havethis backwards and it was for beebem.


Return to “emulators”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests