Mac BeebEm3 - user-defined keyboard

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
g7jjf

Re: Mac BeebEm3 - user-defined keyboard

Postby g7jjf » Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 am

Quickly on point 5, after making a recording, if you press Stop, this will refresh the tape control window. And it also does an automatic rewind so you can click the Play button and do a *. straight away to see what you have just recorded.

Jon

mjf2708

Postby mjf2708 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:14 pm

g7jjf wrote:If people can let me know which features they would like as a priority, I will see if I can find time.
Jon

As the OP of this thread (!), I would be very keen to have the ability to redefine shifted keys from my Mac keyboard.

I currently do this, so that I can see the correct keys to press...

It's '*' that gets me most times!

BTW: BeemEm 3.3a / 4.0a working well on my iMac, under macOS 10.9.5 (can't be faffed to upgrade) - no need to right-click on the app and open Contents.

Mike

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed May 10, 2017 12:47 pm

g7jjf wrote:Quickly on point 5, after making a recording, if you press Stop, this will refresh the tape control window. And it also does an automatic rewind so you can click the Play button and do a *. straight away to see what you have just recorded.

Thanks for that. Yes, that does seem to work. I'm still having some difficulty with the Tape Control window controls though, including Play, sometimes. I'll clarify when I can pin down what the issue is.

But I seem to have come across a different problem, which might be related to why Emerald Isle hangs in Mac BeebEm. Try this: launch Mac BeebEm (any version), and then type in the following two commands:

Code: Select all

*TV254
MODE 7

Instant hang!

:!:

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Wed May 10, 2017 1:18 pm

lurkio wrote:
g7jjf wrote:Quickly on point 5, after making a recording, if you press Stop, this will refresh the tape control window. And it also does an automatic rewind so you can click the Play button and do a *. straight away to see what you have just recorded.

Thanks for that. Yes, that does seem to work. I'm still having some difficulty with the Tape Control window controls though, including Play, sometimes. I'll clarify when I can pin down what the issue is.

But I seem to have come across a different problem, which might be related to why Emerald Isle hangs in Mac BeebEm. Try this: launch Mac BeebEm (any version), and then type in the following two commands:

Code: Select all

*TV254
MODE 7

Instant hang!

Yep hangs on my Mac as well.

Also need to look at keyboard mappings. I use Mac, PC and Linux versions and all of them have different keyboard mappings. The MAC is accurae with BBC keyboard. And the Windows one use real keyboard layouy. Not sure which I prefer. I can touch type on a normal keyboard but not on a bbc one.

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 am

I have found the problem with the *TV command and fixed it.

I don't know what the problem with Emerald Isle was but it seems to work now :)

Jon

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu May 11, 2017 11:14 am

g7jjf wrote:I have found the problem with the *TV command and fixed it. I don't know what the problem with Emerald Isle was but it seems to work now :)

Great! Any chance of an upload? Don't leave us hanging! (I'll get me coat.)

Elminster wrote:Also need to look at keyboard mappings. I use Mac, PC and Linux versions and all of them have different keyboard mappings. The MAC is accurae with BBC keyboard. And the Windows one use real keyboard layouy. Not sure which I prefer. I can touch type on a normal keyboard but not on a bbc one.

For me, it's almost the opposite! In particular, I have deep muscle-memory of typing *. and expecting the asterisk character to be just above right-Shift (as opposed to on the 8 key, as on a PC keyboard, which is an abomination :wink: ).

:idea:

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Thu May 11, 2017 11:30 am

Ok, you can download a copy to try from :

http://www.g7jjf.com/progs/BeebEm4a.zip

I have also started to add the disc import/export feature but I haven't finished it yet. Importing a single file should work but that is as far as I have got yet.

Jon

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 am

lurkio wrote:For me, it's almost the opposite! In particular, I have deep muscle-memory of typing *. and expecting the asterisk character to be just above right-Shift (as opposed to on the 8 key, as on a PC keyboard, which is an abomination :wink: ).
:idea:

I use Mac keyboard about 60 hours a week, so I pretty much automatically type the wrong thing on emulators emulating original keyboards. When using a real Beeb I generally get it right. I also use VMware Linux via VNC and VMware fusion a lot, so I am pretty much driven crazy by keyboard mappings.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu May 11, 2017 11:56 am

g7jjf wrote:Ok, you can download a copy to try from :

http://www.g7jjf.com/progs/BeebEm4a.zip

I have also started to add the disc import/export feature but I haven't finished it yet. Importing a single file should work but that is as far as I have got yet.

Jon

That will be fab, I can pretty much stop using window version then.

Will pickup latest version later.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu May 11, 2017 2:12 pm

g7jjf wrote:Ok, you can download a copy to try from : http://www.g7jjf.com/progs/BeebEm4a.zip

Brilliant! Emerald Isle does indeed work now (as does Erik The Viking, which seems to use the same engine).

Thanks for all the work you're putting in. MacBeebEm's looking really great now!

=D> =D> =D>

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 am

Strange the new version is not starting even if I open up the package.

EDIT: ignore, deleted all the rubbish, accidently dragged a file to a parent folder. DOH.

BTW: I am making an Alias of the main exe buried in the package and then shifting that up the directory structure, so it is almost likw it works in a normal way, except for the terminal window that popups of course.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Elminster wrote:Strange the new version is not starting even if I open up the package. EDIT: ignore, deleted all the rubbish, accidently dragged a file to a parent folder. DOH. BTW: I am making an Alias of the main exe buried in the package and then shifting that up the directory structure, so it is almost likw it works in a normal way, except for the terminal window that popups of course.

Did we ever figure out why you have problems launching McBeebEm in the normal way, whereas I don't?

Is it because of the version of macOS you're on (10.12 Sierra) compared with me (10.10 Yosemite)?

Or is it something to do with Security settings?

:?:

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri May 12, 2017 11:43 pm

It looks like security yes, so as you are on the retro version of MacOS :D that could be why.

They was some info about it on the web that dint mean a huge amount to me, and I think Jon said he could get the latest tools to work that were required to fix the issue.

Edit: Yep. Post is Here

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon May 15, 2017 11:24 pm

g7jjf wrote:If people can let me know which features they would like as a priority, I will see if I can find time.

I should have mentioned in my previous reply another long-standing bug in Mac BeebEm (which is also present in Win BeebEm): if you copy some text in any macOS app other than BeebEm and then paste that text into BeebEm using either Command-V or the Edit --> Paste menu item, the text is pasted but a spurious carriage-return (or newline) is prepended to it, so you get an extra blank line at the beginning of the pasted text in BeebEm when you didn't want or expect one!

This makes it a bit tricky to, e.g., prepare EXEC files in TextEdit for pasting into a *BUILD dialogue. (You have to type *BUILD !BOOT and then not press Return -- but press Command-V immediately instead! That's to prevent BeebEm from inserting a blank line at the beginning of the EXEC file.)

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Tue May 16, 2017 12:33 am

Hadn't noticed that but then I have only been pasting in listings. That is a bit of a tricky gotcha if you not aware of it.
Last edited by Elminster on Tue May 16, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Tue May 16, 2017 9:41 am

I don't know if this is a bug or feature. The emulator explicitly presses the return key to generate the first key interrupt to start processing the clipboard data. Without the emulator pressing some key, the data in the clipboard can't get processed. I have tried using non destructive keys like shift or control but these don't work. Backspace would work as long as you are on the beginning of a line when you paste.

Don't know what else can be done.

Jon

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 am

You could call it a feature. And just have a popup dialog box that appears the first time you use paste after startup (with a optout check box) that reminds you about it. I dont see it as a huge issue if you know about it.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 am

g7jjf wrote:I don't know if this is a bug or feature. The emulator explicitly presses the return key to generate the first key interrupt to start processing the clipboard data. Without the emulator pressing some key, the data in the clipboard can't get processed. I have tried using non destructive keys like shift or control but these don't work. Backspace would work as long as you are on the beginning of a line when you paste. Don't know what else can be done.

Can't the emulator press the key that corresponds to the first character of the text that's on the clipboard, waiting to be pasted?

Failing that, I think that Backspace is preferable to Return. Then you'd be able to paste text in the middle of a line (in certain editor-type programs) in BeebEm (albeit once you'd remembered to add an extra space just before the insertion point), which you currently can't do. The Backspace solution would also allow you to type *BUILD !BOOT <Return> and then paste in the text of the EXEC file.

:?:

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri May 19, 2017 5:09 pm

I had a quick play to see if the Beebem4 source would build on my mac 10.12.5 + xcode 8.3.2 + SDK 10.11 (replacing SDK 10.12) but fails with in beebwin.h with:

Unknown type name 'Track'

het teh same error for 'Movie' and 'Media'

Assume the definition should come from Quicktime, the quicktime headers are there so not sure why it doesnt seem to pick them up. Could go try going back to an even older SDK I suppose.

Did fiddle a bit with the setting but I am a bit at sea with xcode. I can just about cope with a simple Make file but xcode blows my head. (Probably why I rarely use it)

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat May 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Just a quick note to say that MacBeebem 3 and 4 both have trouble playing the current latest version of tricky's Phoenix game: the text jitters on startup, and the game keeps freezing and unfreezing during play.

(Win BeebEm running under Wine in macOS plays the game without any apparent problems.)

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello. Me again, the complete pain in the, er, neck.

Small bug-type thing to report: in MODEs 0, 1, 2, 4 and 5, the flashing cursor isn't visible on screen when it's on the bottom line of text. It gets cropped off the edge of the window.

richmond62

Postby richmond62 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:52 am

4a rocks on Mac OS 10.7.5

Thankyou!

richmond62

Postby richmond62 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:27 am

BeebEm_Keys.png

Return to “emulators”