Mac BeebEm3 - user-defined keyboard

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
mjf2708

Mac BeebEm3 - user-defined keyboard

Postby mjf2708 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi,

I'm having real problems getting (understanding?) user-defined keyboard to work - I'm using MacBeebEm ver 3.3a. The Shift keys appear greyed-out in the keyboard mapping dialogue, so I'm unable to select the shifted key on my Mac to correspond to the Beeb key.

Also, is there any way of hand-editing the kmap file? I'm seeing an xml file, with lots of line pairs like this:

Code: Select all

<key>Col100</key>
   <integer>0</integer>

Thanks in anticipation.

g7jjf

Re: Mac BeebEm3 - user-defined keyboard

Postby g7jjf » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:08 pm

I haven’t touched Mac BeebEm for quite a few years as there was very little interest in the program (and I also no longer have my Mac), but looking through some backups, I notice I have a work in progress version 4 which does allow you to map the shift lock key.

You can download a copy to try from :

http://www.g7jjf.com/progs/BeebEm4.zip

Jon

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:27 pm

g7jjf wrote:I haven’t touched Mac BeebEm for quite a few years as there was very little interest in the program (and I also no longer have my Mac)

It's a shame because even though you say there was little interest, it's still the best -- and only?! -- Mac Beeb emulator there is, and it's really very good -- and I'm sure there are many active users out there, albeit silent ones. I use it constantly. It really would be great if you or someone with the skills and motivation would pick development up again, and not just because I do have one or two minor quibbles, some of which I may have mentioned already...

g7jjf wrote:looking through some backups, I notice I have a work in progress version 4 which does allow you to map the shift lock key. You can download a copy to try from : http://www.g7jjf.com/progs/BeebEm4.zip

Ah, now that is interesting -- especially because version 4 doesn't seem to trigger the bug that stops me from using the macOS (10.10.5) Command-Tab app-switcher when BeebEm v3.3a is in the foreground.

Thanks!

=D> =D>

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 am

I would use Mac beebem but it always crashes, ended up running Windows version on VMware fusion. Active development would be good, a plus 1 from me.

geraldholdsworth

Postby geraldholdsworth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:02 am

lurkio wrote:It's a shame because even though you say there was little interest, it's still the best -- and only?! -- Mac Beeb emulator there is, and it's really very good -- and I'm sure there are many active users out there, albeit silent ones.

I use it, and I think it is better than the Windows version.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:13 am

Elminster wrote:I would use Mac beebem but it always crashes, ended up running Windows version on VMware fusion. Active development would be good, a plus 1 from me.

It would be helpful if you could say how it crashes and then I may be able to sort it.

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 am

lurkio wrote: ... and not just because I do have one or two minor quibbles, some of which I may have mentioned already...

I have merged in the 8271 bug fixes and created a 4.0a which you can download from :

http://www.g7jjf.com/progs/BeebEm4a.zip

Please let me know if this fixes this issue for you.

Jon

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:40 am

g7jjf wrote:
Elminster wrote:I would use Mac beebem but it always crashes, ended up running Windows version on VMware fusion. Active development would be good, a plus 1 from me.

It would be helpful if you could say how it crashes and then I may be able to sort it.

The million dollar question. Will have a look as don't remember now. Was ages ago but unless it now works in Sierra I assume will still crash.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:46 pm

g7jjf wrote:I have merged in the 8271 bug fixes and created a 4.0a which you can download from :

Well, that certainly seems to fix the 8271 emulation problem insofar as this test is concerned! (I'm on macOS version 10.10.5 Yosemite (OS X).)

Good work! Thanks!

=D> =D>

I'm going to start using Mac BeebEm version 4.0a as my default Beeb emulator to see how it performs. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

:idea:

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:19 pm

g7jjf wrote:I have merged in the 8271 bug fixes and created a 4.0a

One immediate observation: it seems you've added disc drive sounds to BeebEm 4.0a, with no way to turn them off. It would be nice if they were optional, as one of the things I like about version 3.3a is that loading from disc is fast and silent!

mjf2708

Postby mjf2708 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks, jon, for releasing this new version.

I'm clearly being very thick here :oops: as I'm struggling to understand how to define a user keyboard.

For example, I want 8 on my Mac keyboard to display 8* rather than 8(.
I start with Default Keyboard Mapping ticked on the Options menu, then select Define User Keyboard.
I click 8 in the key-mapping dialogue, and Assigned to key(s) shows 8.
What do I then click / press in order to get * when I press SHIFT-8 on my keyboard?
(Note: SHIFT, CAPS and CTRL are still greyed-out, but SFT LK isn't - I can click this, and it shows as 'down', but when I click another key it reverts to 'up'.)

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:34 pm

g7jjf wrote:
lurkio wrote: ... and not just because I do have one or two minor quibbles, some of which I may have mentioned already...

I have merged in the 8271 bug fixes and created a 4.0a which you can download from :

Please let me know if this fixes this issue for you.

Jon

Okay have retested 3.3 (which is what I would have tried before) and 4a. Both fail instantly. i.e. applciation closes milliseconds after double clicking icon. Both produce same message in the log.

Apr 28 17:27:40 imac27 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Apr 28 17:27:40 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Apr 28 17:27:40 imac27 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.43600[8619]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Apr 28 17:27:41 imac27 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.8621): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/LLDB.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/RootDebuggingXPCService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex
Apr 28 17:27:41 imac27 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[8638]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook

I have as yet not researched what that means

Edit:
imac Late 2011 (from new, waiting for it to become retro) with OSX 10.12.4

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 pm

lurkio wrote:

One immediate observation: it seems you've added disc drive sounds to BeebEm 4.0a, with no way to turn them off. It would be nice if they were optional, as one of the things I like about version 3.3a is that loading from disc is fast and silent!

What I think you are seeing is a side effect of the 8271 fix. Now, most disc operations do a 2 second motor startup spin (accompanied by the sound) which you were probably not seeing before. It is this slowing down the disc operations, not the sound, as this happens parallel to the operation of the program and it not part of the emulation.

I could make the sound configurable but I doubt this would speed up the program.

Jon

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Elminster wrote:I have as yet not researched what that means

I don't know what this means but it sounds like a new security measure preventing software downloaded from 'other sources' and not from the Apple store.

Try this instead.

Right click the BeebEm4 app and click Show Contents (or whatever it is called).

Navigate to Contents / MacOS / BeebEm4 and double click the BeebEm4 file to run it.

This should open up a separate console window and run the program. The console window shows debugging info and any further errors.

If this program still doesn't run, please send me the contents of the console window so I can see how far it is getting.

If it does work, you can perhaps create a shortcut to the Contents / MacOS / BeebEm4 program on your desktop and run it from there ?

Jon

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:46 pm

mjf2708 wrote:What do I then click / press in order to get * when I press SHIFT-8 on my keyboard?)

Let me look into this and I will get back to you.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:50 pm

g7jjf wrote:What I think you are seeing is a side effect of the 8271 fix. Now, most disc operations do a 2 second motor startup spin (accompanied by the sound) which you were probably not seeing before.

In version 3.3a, I never heard any disc drive sounds at all.

g7jjf wrote:It is this slowing down the disc operations, not the sound, as this happens parallel to the operation of the program and it not part of the emulation. I could make the sound configurable but I doubt this would speed up the program.

Ah, okay, I think I understand. I still think it would be good to make disc drive sounds optional (as I believe Win BeebEm has done for a while), even if that won't speed anything up, because the noises themselves can be quite annoying sometimes!

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:54 pm

It appears that at the moment, you can't re-define the shifted keys separately to the un-shifted keys.

This is something I will have to add on my to-do list.

The Windows version of BeebEm allows you to re-define the shifted keys so I will have to look at what code changes are required and implement when I have time.

Jon

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:57 pm

lurkio wrote:I still think it would be good to make disc drive sounds optional

Ok, I will see what I can do.

Jon

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:46 am

I have now made the disc drive sounds configurable via a menu option. You can download this updated version from :

I haven't bothered to uprev the version for this simple change so it is still the same filename as before but the date has altered in the about box.

Jon

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:19 am

g7jjf wrote:I have now made the disc drive sounds configurable via a menu option. You can download this updated version from :

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Can I mention another issue that I've been running into in Mac BeebEm for a while now? It's to do with saving to tape: you can't! Well, very rarely it works, but usually nothing gets written to the tape. This has certainly been the case on OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite (and it was possibly also the case when I was on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on my old MacBook, but I can't quite remember!).

For example, in the latest version of Mac BeebEm (the one with the optional disc drive sounds), if I create a new tape by going to Tape Control and clicking Record, and if I then type in a one-line BASIC program, and then do SAVE "PROG", and click Record again to append to the tape image, the emulated Beeb seems to go through the motions of saving the program to tape, but the Tape Control window remains blank. If I close and open Tape Control again, it's still blank. If I rewind the tape and do *CAT, it's still blank!

But when I repeat the same test in Windows BeebEm (running under Wine), it works: the program gets saved to tape (although the Tape Control window doesn't reflect this until you close and reopen it again).

:?:

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 am

Ok, I will take a look. It must have worked at some point but I haven't checked this for ages.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:58 pm

g7jjf wrote:
Elminster wrote:I have as yet not researched what that means

I don't know what this means but it sounds like a new security measure preventing software downloaded from 'other sources' and not from the Apple store.

Try this instead.

Right click the BeebEm4 app and click Show Contents (or whatever it is called).

Navigate to Contents / MacOS / BeebEm4 and double click the BeebEm4 file to run it.

This should open up a separate console window and run the program. The console window shows debugging info and any further errors.

If this program still doesn't run, please send me the contents of the console window so I can see how far it is getting.

If it does work, you can perhaps create a shortcut to the Contents / MacOS / BeebEm4 program on your desktop and run it from there ?

Jon

Okay as Per above (and the other Mac Beebem3 thread) this fix works. Different error message on console to other thread but same symptoms I guess.
http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12701#p163177

By the way I noticed on the startup sheel windows it does say

Apr 30 20:52:57  BeebEm4[5217] <Error>: The function ‘SLSFlushWindow’ is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. Please use `SLSFlushWindowContentRegion' instead.

Not sure if that is something to worry about/fix.

Now just need to have a play with it.

Thanks.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Elminster wrote:

Apr 28 17:27:40 imac27 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Apr 28 17:27:40 imac27 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.43600[8619]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Apr 28 17:27:41 imac27 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.8621): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/LLDB.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/RootDebuggingXPCService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex
Apr 28 17:27:41 imac27 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[8638]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook

This is caused by not having 'security scoped bookmarks' that were introduced in 10.7.3.

Article on adding them is here

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... 5-CH4-SW18

Sounds like this might be the issue as it retains the security you gave the applicaiton when you clicked the 'open it is dangerous' icon.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed May 03, 2017 6:46 pm

g7jjf wrote:Ok, I will take a look. It must have worked at some point but I haven't checked this for ages.

I've just confirmed that BeebEm 3.2b on my old MacBook (running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) successfully passes the save-to-tape test.

But BeebEm 4.0a (on OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite) is still failing it.

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Thu May 04, 2017 6:17 am

After spending many hours trying to debug this problem, I have finally tracked it down to this statement :

uef_file = gzopen(uef_file_name, "a+b");

in

uef_write_chunk

For some reason, this fails post OSX 10.6.8

I don't know why yet or have a solution but I am looking into it.

Jon

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Thu May 04, 2017 6:21 am

Elminster wrote:
Elminster wrote:

This is caused by not having 'security scoped bookmarks' that were introduced in 10.7.3.

Article on adding them is here

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... 5-CH4-SW18

Sounds like this might be the issue as it retains the security you gave the applicaiton when you clicked the 'open it is dangerous' icon.

I have looked into this and there is a slight problem :(

I am still using XCode 3.2 to compile the source for BeebEm and the above seems to refer to settings only available in the latest XCode 8.x. I have tried to compile BeebEm in XCode 8 but it fails quite badly as a lot has changed in the OSX libraries since version 3.2.

I will persevere with this and try and come up with a solution.

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Thu May 04, 2017 6:53 am

g7jjf wrote:I don't know why yet or have a solution but I am looking into it.

I have removed the '+' as this seems to be no longer supported and the tape saving now seems to work post 10.6.x

You can re-download the updated version from :

Jon

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 am

g7jjf wrote:

I have removed the '+' as this seems to be no longer supported and the tape saving now seems to work post 10.6.x

You can re-download the updated version from :

Jon

Making progress. Now I have had a chance to play with Mac version via opening the version inside the package it seems pretty stable. Hoping I will soon be able to dump the windows version.

I did notice that the import/export to disc option didn't appear to be there, was there any reason other than time that this didn't make the cut? It is an option I use semi frequently. I could get the Mac version of dfs explorer I suppose but would be nice if it was there.

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Thu May 04, 2017 10:15 am

There have been a lot of changes to the Windows version of BeebEm which haven't made their way to the Mac version yet. I think the Windows version was at around 4.04 last time I did any serious work on it.

If people can let me know which features they would like as a priority, I will see if I can find time. Not promising anything straight away, depending on the complexity of the changes, as free time is virtually zero for any development work at the moment.

Jon

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu May 04, 2017 11:14 am

g7jjf wrote:
I have removed the '+' as this seems to be no longer supported and the tape saving now seems to work post 10.6.x ... You can re-download the updated version from : http://www.g7jjf.com/progs/BeebEm4a.zip

Jon, this is great! I've just tested your latest upload on OS X 10.10.5, and save-to-tape works! Thank you.

=D> =D> =D>

g7jjf wrote:There have been a lot of changes to the Windows version of BeebEm which haven't made their way to the Mac version yet. I think the Windows version was at around 4.04 last time I did any serious work on it. If people can let me know which features they would like as a priority, I will see if I can find time. Not promising anything straight away, depending on the complexity of the changes, as free time is virtually zero for any development work at the moment.

There are only five outstanding Mac BeebEm bugs that I know of:

1. FIXED! This disc image of Emerald Isle works in Win BeebEm but not Mac BeebEm. Mac BeebEm seems to be blocking on a screen interrupt or something. You can get the game to haltingly advance if you repeatedly press TAB to toggle between the text- and picture-screens. UPDATE, 10th May: See a later post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12961&start=30#p168974

2. There's the macOS security issue as experienced by Elminster and lazarusr, which I can't say anything more about because I've never experienced it myself, for some reason!

3. The STH copies of Alien From Outer Space and other Incentive text adventures with graphics don't work properly in any of the emulators, as far as I can tell. Something to do with the split-mode screen, possibly..? There are now patched versions of some/all of those games on bbcmicro.co.uk that do work in Mac (and Win) BeebEm, but I just thought I'd mention the issue anyway.

4. When you return from fullscreen mode, any other open windows belonging to apps other than BeebEm will be "squashed" -- smaller than they were before you entered fullscreen in BeebEm!

5. In Win and Mac BeebEm, if you save to tape with the Tape Control window open, you have to close and reopen it again to see the newly written contents of the tape. It would be nice if the Tape Control window was constantly updated to reflect the contents of the .uef tape image that's currently loaded.

Plus, there's the missing Import/Export To/From Disc feature that Elminster just mentioned above, which is present in Win BeebEm.

Last edited by lurkio on Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “emulators”