Mac Acorn Emulators

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
sonnyelk

Mac Acorn Emulators

Postby sonnyelk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:22 am

Hi all,
I have just bought my first ever Mac (MacBook Air, 128GB, new) and despite using Apple products, I am completely lost on it! The first thing I did after setting it up was download ElectrEm (naturally :D ), but I'm having problems. Half the time I run it the Electron doesn't come on - it hangs, as if you'd knocked a Plus 1 out of line. There is no menu bar (I don't think that's what they're called... :? :lol: ) to open files or anything like that. If I open ElectrEm, then open a UEF file, the game comes up - but with no sound!

So I downloaded BeebEm, which is even worse. I press the icon, It comes up for a split second, and then disappears. I don't know if I have installed it incorrectly, but I can't think of any other way to do it.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong - and how to fix it [-o< ? I don't think I could live without my emulators...
Ay thang yaw'll

g7jjf

Re: Mac Acorn Emulators

Postby g7jjf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:28 pm

If BeebEm doesn't work by clicking on the icon, try this :

Right click the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'.

Double click "contents", then "mac os" until you see BeebEm3.

Double click BeebEm3 to run it.

If it still fails to run, you should see the console log on screen with any errors. A copy of the error log would help diagnose any further issues.

Jon
Last edited by g7jjf on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:27 pm

It may not be a lot of help, but on my Mac I run the Windows versions of both BeebEm and B-Em, using Wine - that's a free download which allows you to run many Windows programs.

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:13 pm

BigEd wrote:It may not be a lot of help, but on my Mac I run the Windows versions of both BeebEm and B-Em, using Wine - that's a free download which allows you to run many Windows programs.

I run the Windows versions too (albeit in Parallels). I have found the Mac version of BeebEm to be rather buggy.

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:18 pm

lazarusr wrote:I run the Windows versions too (albeit in Parallels). I have found the Mac version of BeebEm to be rather buggy.

I am not aware of any bugs in the Mac version, if you would like to send me a list, I will take a look and see what the problems may be.

Jon

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:33 pm

I haven't run it for the best part of a year because I have been using the Windows version. So I just downloaded the latest version from your website. When I tried to launch it, it looks like it opens for a fraction of a second and then shuts down again. Can't get beyond that.

Running macOS 10.12.3 on a Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro.

The Console displays this:

Code: Select all

Mar 11 17:21:28 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000012d.BeebEm3[11696]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by CoreServicesUIAgent[9531]
Mar 11 17:21:35 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000012e.BeebEm3[11703]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:21:53 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11715]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:21:55 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11719]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:21:57 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11722]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:21:59 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11728]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:22:01 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11732]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:22:02 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11735]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:22:04 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11738]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:22:05 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11741]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:22:25 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11752]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:22:27 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11758]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:22:39 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000012f.BeebEm3[11771]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:27:43 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11850]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar 11 17:28:46 Roberts-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.beebem.14748[11872]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:35 pm

This is down to some new security settings in the latest OSX version which I haven't tracked down yet. If you run it as per my instructions above, it should be fine.

Jon

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:47 pm

OK. That works now. :D

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:01 pm

g7jjf wrote:I am not aware of any bugs in the Mac version, if you would like to send me a list, I will take a look and see what the problems may be.

Just thought I'd pitch in and mention that while I'm largely happy with Mac BeebEm (on OS X 10.10.5, mid-2014 RMBP), one thing does bug me: when BeebEm has focus, I can't seem to use Command-Tab to switch away to another app! BeebEm seems to intercept and prevent it. I don't think that that happened when I ran the same version of Mac BeebEm (3.3a) on OS X 10.6.8 on my old MacBook.

Also, I can't use the function keys as Beeb function keys unless I press the "fn" key in combination with them -- I could have sworn I didn't need to do that in BeebEm on 10.6.8...? (One commonly needed function key is f12, which stands in for the Break key.)

:?:

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:42 pm

I no longer have a Mac so I have to run any Mac stuff under VMware emulation, using 10.12.3 Sierra.

Using this setup with BeebEm 3.3a, the function keys work fine (including F12) and I can also Cmd-Tab without problems as well. So, is it down to some keyboard setting on your Mac ? I am using a standard Windows PC keyboard here.

sonnyelk

Postby sonnyelk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi everyone,
I have managed to get BeebEm running that way, thanks for your help. Also, I have realised ElectrEm's task bar is at the very top of the screen - like all Mac programs! #-o But there is still no sound - and I don't know why.
Ay thang yaw'll

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:21 pm

g7jjf wrote:I no longer have a Mac so I have to run any Mac stuff under VMware emulation, using 10.12.3 Sierra. Using this setup with BeebEm 3.3a, the function keys work fine (including F12) and I can also Cmd-Tab without problems as well. So, is it down to some keyboard setting on your Mac ?

I'm using a MacBook Pro. It came with OS X 10.10 installed, and I haven't upgraded the OS as I didn't need to. Mac BeebEm was one of the first things I installed, and it had these keyboard problems from day one. I don't have any unusual keyboard settings that I know of.

Anyway, this is probably a weird isolated case, albeit an inexplicable one. Probably not worth spending time investigating. Unlike the 8271 bug! Speaking of which, any ideas about fixing that, by any chance..? No pressure -- just wondering.

[-o<

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Hmm, I'm using MacBeebEm on Sierra on a 2012 Macbook Pro without any issues at all :?

d.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:53 pm

lurkio wrote:I don't have any unusual keyboard settings that I know of.

Ahem. Having said that, I now see that there was an unticked checkbox labelled "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" in the Keyboard tab of the Keyboard settings panel.

:oops:

Still doesn't explain the failure of Command-Tab though...

:?

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Jon,

Here's my current thinking on the 8271 bug...
lurkio wrote:Anyway, this is probably a weird isolated case, albeit an inexplicable one. Probably not worth spending time investigating. Unlike the 8271 bug! Speaking of which, any ideas about fixing that, by any chance..? No pressure -- just wondering.

On B-Em at least, the drive was declaring itself as "ready" (in the read drive status command &2C) all the time, even when the drive motor had stopped.

Looks like Beebem has the same issue:
https://github.com/AndyA/beebem/blob/ma ... 1.cpp#L765

The value returned here is simply the value passed into the read drive status, which I think is wrong.

Dave

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:55 am

lurkio wrote:Still doesn't explain the failure of Command-Tab though... :?

This one's quite weird. I mean, Command-H to hide the app works, and so does Command-Q to quit, but for some reason Command-Tab fails, and is interpreted by BeebEm as if I'd just pressed Tab alone -- i.e. a Tab character is printed on screen.

:?:

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:20 pm

lurkio wrote:
g7jjf wrote:I no longer have a Mac so I have to run any Mac stuff under VMware emulation, using 10.12.3 Sierra. Using this setup with BeebEm 3.3a, the function keys work fine (including F12) and I can also Cmd-Tab without problems as well. So, is it down to some keyboard setting on your Mac ?

I'm using a MacBook Pro. It came with OS X 10.10 installed, and I haven't upgraded the OS as I didn't need to. Mac BeebEm was one of the first things I installed, and it had these keyboard problems from day one. I don't have any unusual keyboard settings that I know of.
lurkio wrote:Ahem. Having said that, I now see that there was an unticked checkbox labelled "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" in the Keyboard tab of the Keyboard settings panel.

Unfortunately, I've fallen into the habit of using the unmodified function keys as Apple feature keys (brightness, volume, etc.), so my preference is for that checkbox to remain unticked.

However, I've just found and installed an app called Fluor, which changes the behaviour of the function keys on a per-app basis, automatically detecting which app is in the foreground. Works well with MacBeebEm 4.0a -- I can now just press F12, unmodified, to do a Break. Ctrl-F12 does Ctrl-Break, etc. (Without the help of Fluor, I had to press fn-F12 and fn-Ctrl-F12 respectively.) In apps other than BeebEm, the unmodified function keys continue to control brightness, volume, etc., as before.

:idea:

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Flour looks great. Not come across that before. I have similar issues when I am running apps in VMWare Fusion on the Mac. (i.e. Beebem for windoze). Will give this a go.

Thanks

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Just cross-linking to another thread, where Jon has been tracking and fixing Mac BeebEm bugs:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 61#p168288

:idea:

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Thu May 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Quick follow-up question on ElectrEm: do you mean real, decade-ago ElectrEm or are you referring to its child as per the "Do you own a Mac, and like your Electron emulators minimal and potentially seizure-inducing?" thread? Giveaways will be whether the window is resizable and whether there's television emulation.

If the former then I dread to think what the proper solution might be as it'll be something within the version of SDL it uses, for which the entire API has been deprecated. If it's the latter then the news is better: it's just something dumb that I've done recently, directly using Apple's current API. In which case it's much more likely that I can fix it. I have seen the audio fail properly to deal with itself if I've stopped the program at a breakpoint for "a long time" so I have a lead, at least.

I've never seen it start up blank. So if that's the newer emulator, that might not be as easy for me to chase.

If it saves any time, in both cases you should just be able to double click the UEF/SSD/whatever from the Finder. No need to launch the emulator and File->Open... . On a Mac file associations can be per file if you want — you can open the info panel on a particular file (select it and press command+I or secondary click and select 'Get Info'), then under 'Open with:' select whichever program you want to be associated with that particular file. You'll see it tells you what the default is but lets you select another without affecting the default. So you won't change what happens with every other file of the same type. So even if you have, say, SSDs some of which are for the Electron and some of which are for the BBC, you can just implicitly indicate which is which to the Finder and stick with double clicking to launch.

Alternatively, since the newer emulator is a full, ordinary, native Mac application, just leave it in the Dock and drag and drop files onto it to open them there. As many files at once as you like. Each will use a separate instance of an Electron.

I'd dare imagine many, most or all of those tips also transfer to BeebEm but can't specifically speak as to that.

Return to “emulators”