B-Em

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
Coeus

Re: B-Em

Postby Coeus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:32 pm

bakoulis wrote:x86.c:196:4: error: ‘for’ loop initial declarations are only allowed in C99 mode
for (int i = 0; i < MAXOPLEN; i++) {
^
x86.c:196:4: note: use option -std=c99 or -std=gnu99 to compile your code

What has happenned here is that the writer of the X86 disassembler I have incorporated has used a modern C feature, one of of those I think has been imported from C++. It seems on my compiler, gcc version 6.3.1, the C99 standard, which permits that syntax, is enabled by default whereas on older compilers it is not.

Can you try switching to the sf/c99-fix branch in which I have committed what I hope is a fix for this and see if it builds correctly, please?

bakoulis

Postby bakoulis » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:57 pm

The sf/c99-fix branch works!
Move it at master branch.
:D
2xElectron, 3xBBC B, BBC Master.
2xAcorn A310, A420/1, 2xA3000, 2xA3010, A3020, A4000, A5000.
2xRISC PC, Acorn Pocket Book, Acorn Pocket Book II.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Ok, that fix is merged into master. The windows ZIP file in the earlier post is unaffected by this change.

Darshan

Postby Darshan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi.

I have a few question about B-em:

- How is the transition to GLFW going?
- Why GLFW and not something like SFML that includes both graphics and audio and controllers?
- Is it possible to build with visual studio?

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Darshan wrote:- How is the transition to GLFW going?
- Why GLFW and not something like SFML that includes both graphics and audio and controllers?

Where did you see this transition mentioned? There was some discussion around the fact the Allegro 4 library which B-Em uses being old and in consequence not building easily on modern systems and not making best use of their graphics capabilities and therefore a desire to move to something more modern. Porting to SDL was mentioned but in the end an effort was started to port B-Em to a more recent version of Allego, i.e. one of the Allegro 5 series. Allegro is a cross-patform games writing library that provides facilities for graphics, sound and input, though I don't know how well various non-keyboard, non-mouse controllers are supported.

Despite the fact I have been making most of the commits to the B-Em stardot repository recently none of that has been in connection with that porting. Thomas Alan volunteered to lead that activity and without knowing what he has and has not done it is impossible to help with that without the risk of duplication rather than complimentation.

Darshan wrote:- Is it possible to build with visual studio?

I beleive B-Em has been built with Visual Studio in the past and probably can be again. It is not something I have spent any time on, though. My development platform is Linux but I do generally make sure the changes I make compile and run on Windows using the Mingw compiler. Patches to make B-Em compile in Visual Studio would be welcome, provided they don't break compatibility with gcc in either the Mingw or Linux versions.

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:16 pm

I did post visual studio project and solution files along with a few minor changes to build on Windows, but I'm not sure where that was.
The biggest problem was finding the correct versions of the libraries, but otherwise it was fine.

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 pm

tricky wrote:I did post visual studio project and solution files along with a few minor changes to build on Windows, but I'm not sure where that was.
The biggest problem was finding the correct versions of the libraries, but otherwise it was fine.

I also have a Visual Studio (2015) dev environment set up and wrote down the 32 (!!) steps needed to get there from scratch. Was at least a year ago mind haven’t dared touch it since, not for the faint hearted. Yes, getting the right version of Allegro built plus OpenAL was the biggest pain - b-em itself compiled quite easily being old school C and Win32 forms.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/