30th Anniversary BBC and Electron Collection

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
Michael Brown

Re: 30th Anniversary BBC and Electron Collection

Postby Michael Brown » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:36 am

As mentioned before...
Disc 013 re-posted due to finding the correct inlay info for Contraption.
Disc 020 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Frankenstein 2000, The Genesis Project and Bug Eyes 2
and
Disc 040 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Ransack!

More to follow soon!

regards,
Mick.

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Michael Brown wrote:This is now by far the best version of Gauntlet I think we can get for the BBC - (unless a real BBC version was written by the author and is out there somewhere).

Is the version on the STH not the original version, then?

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 pm

ref Gauntlet,
As far as I can remember, this was a Electron only title.
BITD I never saw a BBC version from Micro Power, or came across an original BBC unreleased version.
This does not, however, mean that one wasn't written.

The version I have on my Disc022 is the original Electron version that has been amended to run as close as possible on the BBC as it did on the acorn Electron.

I am not sure if the version in the STH archive is a original version by the author or another hack of some sort.
Someone else hopefully may be able to answer that question.

regards,
Mick.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 pm

As mentioned before...
Disc 004 re-posted due to finding the inlay info for Snake by Acornsoft.
Disc 005 re-posted due to creating instructions for Demolator - This saves having to wait for the pages to load in during the loader program.
Disc 006 re-posted due to finding complete inlay info for Mineshaft.
Disc 012 re-posted due to finding inlay info for Monaco.
Disc 015 re-posted due to finding complete inlay info for Zorakk The Conqueror.
Disc 021 re-posted due to finding complete inlay info for Space Station Alpha. Also fixed the graphics glitch caused by pressing Escape during the loading screen.
and
Disc 022 re-posted due to finding complete inlay info for Wizzy's Mansion from the BBC Bonanza inlay.

More to follow soon!

regards,
Mick.

PS Coming soon!
Jet Set Willy 1 and 2
Cavey
Saracoid
and
Loopz.
plus a few more!

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:47 am

As mentioned before...
Discs 025 and 029 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Jet Set Willy 1 and 2.
Disc 030 re-posted due to finding newly discovered inlay info for Cavey.
Disc 034 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Rik The Roadie - saves having to read through the scrolling text during the loader.
and
Disc 035 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Saracoid.

More to follow soon!

regards,
Mick.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:38 pm

As mentioned before...
Disc 024 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Killapede.
Disc 037 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Saigon.
Disc 038 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for both Joe Blade and Boulder Dash.
and
Disc 039 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Joe Blade 2.

More to follow soon!

regards,
Mick.

Coming soon
F14 Tomcat, Helter Skelter, Klax, Froot Raid and Loopz.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:52 am

As mentioned before...
Disc 050 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for F14 Tomcat, Helter Skelter and Klax.
Disc 053 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Froot Raid.
and
Disc 054 re-posted due to finding full inlay info for Loopz.

More to follow as they become available.

regards,
Mick.

PS
Many thanks to Lee for checking through each re-posted game for spelling and grammar.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:44 am

Just re-posted Disc102 due to finding the correct original Electron version of Mr Miner.
The game has been slowed down for the BBC and the sound has been amended to work correctly.
The older enanved version has now been moved to ALTD011 and will be seen again when that disc is completed.

regards,
Mick,

PS Look out for Disc115 - coming soon!

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:27 am

Michael Brown wrote:Just reposted Games Discs 14,15 and 22 due to the game speed of Electron Invaders, Guardian and Gauntlet being altered to run more closer to their original Electron Speed on the BBC.
Also altered the Emulator detection routine for Guardian to match the one used by Sutty for Winter Wonderland.

Sorry about the reposts, but I am trying to make the collection better and make each disc work universally under both BeebEm and b-em and also a real BBC B.

I was curious about the sound improvement as that's quite poor on Guardian vs. Planetoid, played it (on a real BBC, and yes, no ship explosion sound) and sound is slightly better but nowhere near as good as Planetoid, but my god, this game is now really slow! I played the regular Electron version on the BBC a while back to see about beating the highest score I found, and after this slowed down version I played that unaltered version again and that's much better... Perhaps you should give the option of both?

But also I tried this slowed down version because I am curious about the playing speed difference, though of most interest at the moment is what the difference is of Electron games on the Electron vs. the BBC games on the BBC (e.g. Electron-Arcadians on Electron vs. BBC-Arcadians on a BBC) to understand better if high scores in the magazines in the 1980s were done on an Electron rather than BBC. I didn't yet set up an Electron emulator as I couldn't find one ready with makefiles for e.g. FreeBSD, one had a build system, for windows, I guess I will start a topic for this in the classic game section.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 am

Hi,

The sound improvements to all Electron games was simply altering the last 6 numbers in the Envelopes to the 126,0,0,-126,126,126 configuration as discussed on the forum some time back.

For some strange reason, Guardian does sometimes seem slower than I remember.
I can only test it on BeebEm and B-em as the moment as my Beeb went BANG earlier this year!

I have loaded the Guardian tape image into ElectrEm and was surprised to see how fast it actually runs - therefore, I have amended a copy (enclosed) to run faster on the BBC.

guardian.zip
(8.63 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Can you have a look at the faster version and see what you think.
Can someone try it on a real BBC as well as under emulation.
If OK then I will add it to my Disc014 and re-post it.

thanks for bringing this to my attention.
regards,
Mick.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Michael Brown wrote:Hi,

The sound improvements to all Electron games was simply altering the last 6 numbers in the Envelopes to the 126,0,0,-126,126,126 configuration as discussed on the forum some time back.

There is also the issue of sounds getting cut off as the Electron uses a single sound channel. I must say it's odd then that for some reason, if only the envelope numbers change was all you changed, I didn't encounter sounds getting cutoff by new sounds, but I played it briefly and my attention was grabbed by the speed, so I will try again. Using different sound channels for different sounds (those will all get mapped to a single physical sound channel in case of the Electron but will stay separate on the BBC) would be a good improvement.

Michael Brown wrote:For some strange reason, Guardian does sometimes seem slower than I remember.
I can only test it on BeebEm and B-em as the moment as my Beeb went BANG earlier this year!

If it's the X1 capacitor (smoke from power supply) then you can simply continue using your BBC... It does no real harm, it's just for electrical noise suppression.

Michael Brown wrote:I have loaded the Guardian tape image into ElectrEm and was surprised to see how fast it actually runs - therefore, I have amended a copy (enclosed) to run faster on the BBC.

guardian.zip

I will have a look later today, on my BBC, but note that I have no idea how fast or slow it was supposed to run on a real Electron, so I have nothing to compare with! So my observation about the game speed was merely about playability. It is much smoother (scrolling) in the unaltered version, and very fast of course which I would prefer.

And about the slow-down method: I had a look in the thread mentioning an emulator detection routine, but didn't see all details. I think it would be interesting and for clarity better, to write about emulator detection and changing game speed, in a separate thread in e.g. the classic games section on "how make Electron games run at original speed on the BBC micro", or something like that. So I'd like to see some details/information on what you did in slowing games down, a delay loop somewhere in the code in the main loop of the game? Or interrupt driven slow-down? Now to improve the sound for Electron games running on a BBC, that would also be interesting and perhaps stimulating for others to give a go (different sound channels would require finding the OSWORD calls in the machine code and if they are for sound, then you can see which sound channel the data pointed to by the XY registers specifies, and then changing a byte there to change the channel).

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi,

Sorry, my mistake - the emulator detection routine was for Gauntlet, not Guardian.
Guardian simply uses my standard insert code that gets moved from &38A2 to &3A2 and simply does a...

3A2 LDX #&FF
3A4 LDY #&12
3A6 DEY
3A7 BNE &3A6
3A9 DEX
3AA BNE &3A4
3AC JSR whatever routine was originally intended
3AF RTS

Somewhere in the main game I would change a jump routine (in Guardian's case a JSR &18A8 has been replaced with a JSR &3A2) and this will slow the game down. Changing the &12 at &3A5 will speed up or slow down the game.

Hope this helps.

Mick,

PS
Someone more cleverer than me may be able to supply an even better way of slowing down Electron games - maybe there is a clock somewhere in the game that can be altered to a BBC setting?

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 am

Just remembered...

the LDY #&12 at &3A4 is featured in the image posted yesterday.
The version of Guardian on Disc014 has this set to &18 which makes the game run slower.

If someone could check out the image above with the &12 setting and let me know if this is correct - then I will amend Disc014 to match.

regards,
Mick.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:15 am

Michael Brown wrote:Hi,

For some strange reason, Guardian does sometimes seem slower than I remember.

I have loaded the Guardian tape image into ElectrEm and was surprised to see how fast it actually runs - therefore, I have amended a copy (enclosed) to run faster on the BBC.

guardian.zip

thanks for bringing this to my attention.
regards,
Mick.

Much better, as in playable rather than watching slow motion. The sounds, I paid more attention and they do get cut off by new sounds (e.g. the 10k points sound was cutoff in one case when briefly testing/playing), so some sound channel rearranging could be a nice improvement. Or even importing the sounds from Planetoid :)

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Have you tried the version over on the Electron to BBC Conversions thread in the Issues section.

Tried it with Planetoid's envelopes and certain sounds missing.
Then changed the last 6 digits of each envelope to 126,0,0,-126,126,126 and the sound was about the same.
Still no noise when you explode.
The envelopes are very very similar to Guardians - just a few numbers are different.

Can I ask that all new posts go to the Electron to BBC Conversions thread in Issues from now on.

regards,
Mick.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:46 am

Hi Al!
Here it is (just in time for the Bank Holiday)... Disc 115.

Disc115.zip
(200.21 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Yet again, another mixed bag of goodies for August 2017.

Firstly there are some standard basic games like Chopper, Connect-4, Chicks, Magic Square and Dragster.
Then there are the usual Micro User/Electron User/Beebug/Acorn Computing games including Snake 1, Kayak Kapers, Arachnoid, Helicopter Dog Fight and Moon Lander.
The Darkness of Raven Wood is a brand new game by John Blythe and you can save your score to disc.
Space Invaders is brand new and written by Tricky.
Beeb-Tote is a very old game from Micro Power.
Counter Attack is another old game from OIC.
Cricket Averages is by South Coast Software and you can save your score to disc.
Lastly,
is the brand new BBC Tetris by Charles Reilly.

regards,
Mick.

Discs 116, 117 and 118 are in production, but some way off completion at this point in time.

NOTE: The games on this disc have been checked for *KEY issues and are all OK.

EDIT: Disc re-posted due to bug-fixes in The Darkness of Raven Wood.
Last edited by Michael Brown on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 am

Disc 014 re-posted due to amending Guardian to run closer to its original Electron speed. This version also detects BeebEm and slows the game down a bit more for that emulator than it does for B-em.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi All,
Nothing Major- but...
Just re-posted Disc091 as I discovered that the Secret Sam 2 main game was actually the Blue Ribbon re-issue and not the MRM original. MRM version now added.

regards,
Mick.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:07 am

Hi All,

Just re-posted Disc001 and Disc002 as I have added key choice options to Felix In The Factory and Felix And The Fruit Monsters.
Both games now have their original key configurations but can be changed to ZX:/ and RETURN upon loading if you wish.
This allows the game to be played on a real BBC as well as under emulation using a QWERTY keyboard.

regards,
Mick.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Disc 115 has been re-posted today due to the new bug-fix for The Darkness of Raven Wood being added.

Disc 116 has now been finished and sent to Lee for final spelling/grammar checking etc and should be posted here on Sunday 1st October.

Disc 117 is coming on and hopefully will be done in time for Xmas.

Discs 118 and 119 are in the works and should be out in the new year!

regards,
Mick.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Just re-posted Disc105 SE due to adding (2P) to the menu for the game Barrage at request of Lee.

Disc 116 coming Sunday!

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:05 am

Hi All!
Here it is... Disc 116.

Disc116.zip
(134.17 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Another mixed bag of goodies for Autumn 2017.

Firstly there are some standard basic games like Lunar Lander and Octagram, both from 8-Bit Software.
Then there are the usual Micro User/Electron User/Beebug/Acorn Computing games including Air Strike, Mouse Trap, Car Park, Space Pods!, Hexagons, Astro-Mines, Chinese Tangrams and Snake 2.
Devils Island by Gary Davis from 1991 is another adaptation from the GAC – although some of the text descriptions seem long and don’t always fit the screen.
Castle Defender is a brand new game by Chris Bradburne and is massive.
Ariadne is a maze game by Boulsworth Software from 1991.
Circus is by Tricky from 2015 and needs joysticks.
Flight Simulation is an un-released Acornsoft title circa 1982.
Castaway is a ex MIA text/graphical adventure by Simonsoft from 1984. It has been amended to allow you to save to disc and you must make the disc write-enabled to avoid an error.
The Executioner is a hangman style game by James Cavanagh.
lastly,
Code Breaker is from the ex MIA cassette 8 from Model B Computing.

regards,
Mick.

Discs 117 and 118 are in production, but a little way off completion at this point in time - but hopefully 117 will be ready for xmas and 118 around Easter 2018.

NOTE: The games on this disc have been checked for *KEY issues and are all OK.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 am

Nothing major - just re-posted Disc090 due to incorporating parts of the tape version of Wordmaster.

Mick.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:31 am

Just bre-posted Disc 004 due to fault with 3D Bomb Alley.
The downloader was missing a HIMEM statement which caused the game to crash when selecting joysticks.
Now sorted as a HIMEM=&E00 has now been inserted.

Mick.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am

Michael Brown wrote:Just bre-posted Disc 004 due to fault with 3D Bomb Alley.
The downloader was missing a HIMEM statement which caused the game to crash when selecting joysticks.
Now sorted as a HIMEM=&E00 has now been inserted.

That's interesting, was it a tape version? There's my original disc at viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5239&p=54097#p54097
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Michael Brown wrote:...Circus is by Tricky from 2015 and needs joysticks...

An analogue joystick will work or analogue mouse on an emulator, but a paddle is best.
It is actually an emulator running the original arcade ROMs from Exidy.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:35 pm

The fault with 3D Bomb Alley only affects my hack.
The original tape is OK.

Both Gunsmoke and Alpha Centauri use the same routine for downloading from disc and both have a HIMEM statement in their listings.

Don't know why I missed this before - but now it is sorted.
Bomb Alley worked fine with keyboard, but the routine for joystick got corrupted when downloading.

regards,
Mick.

Return to “archive submissions”