Modem's Secret (game) - what the heck is it?!

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
lurkio

Modem's Secret (game) - what the heck is it?!

Postby lurkio » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 pm

1.png
    Screenshot of Modem's Secret

Anyone know anything about the game Modem's Secret? What is it all about? How do you play it?

The game seems to have been developed for the machine that Olivetti created by cloning the BBC Master Compact (though the game also seems to run on the Master 128, at least in JSBeeb and BeebEm):

I found it on this curious website:

And then I hacked it out of one of the ADFS disc-images there and transferred it to a DFS .SSD disc-image, using BeebEm and the *XFER command in the ADT ROM -- which I've lately found to be a bit unreliable, so this might not be a perfect transfer, but it's the quickest and easiest way I know of going about it:

MODEMSECRET.ssd.zip
    Modem's Secret transferred from an ADFS disc-image to a .SSD DFS disc image
    (32.49 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Anyone know why the program $.CHARSET, which loads the Olivetti title-screen pyramid logo thing, works in ADFS but not in DFS?! I had to hack it to briefly switch to MODE1 and then back to MODE129 for some reason. (The original version of $.CHARSET has been renamed to O.CHARSET, and the original version of $.!BOOT to O.!BOOT.)

:?:

CMcDougall

Re: Modem's Secret (game) - what the heck is it?!

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:04 pm

i've read the instructions:
but seems to be in some bizarre language... :lol:
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Here --
Google Translate wrote:Made for the launch of the Italian PC on Prodest 128S, this video game implemented a series of virtual databases in its interior, faithfully designed on the basis of existing ones both in the Videotex and TTY environments. The player, as a telematic investigator, had to navigate within the various online systems to obtain information, passwords and data in order to recover a large sum of unduly transferred money on an encrypted foreign account.

This program allowed players to explore the then nascent world of mass telematics without the need for real telephone connections; Various database administrators participated in game design, whose contributions made the simulation completely indistinguishable from reality.

-- is an automated Google Translate job on this webpage:

I'm still none the wiser about how to actually navigate through the game though!

:idea:

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:35 pm

lurkio wrote:I found it on this curious website:

I found that site a few years but never really played it. From lurkio's description it sounds similar to System 15000 which I used to enjoy.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

Return to “archive submissions”