32016 REDUCE

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
Boydie

32016 REDUCE

Postby Boydie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:37 pm

This is a copy of REDUCE for the Acorn Scientific range.
The manual describes it as a "system for carrying out algebraic operations accurately". That's about as helpful as it gets; there's no information I can find on how to install it, run it, or indeed do anything with it except use the box as a bookend!
A version came out for RiscOS some time later. Anyone familiar with this may have some idea how it works.
Attachments
Reduce.zip
(751.12 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

davidb

Re: 32016 REDUCE

Postby davidb » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Some background on REDUCE. I believe Sophie Wilson was one of the users of REDUCE at Acorn based on some vague memories of a Usenet discussion about optimising algorithms for something or other. :)

Edit: Fixed link in the above paragraph.
Last edited by davidb on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:45 am

Built on a Lisp - is the Lisp level available I wonder?

That link 404s for me, (actually I see the page is now here) but here's a cached version of the text:
A brief history of REDUCE
In 2008, Tony Hearn, who is the main and original author of this software, wrote:

In 1963, I began work on a software system that would in time evolve into REDUCE. By 1968, copies had been made available to various researchers throughout the world. Forty years later, there is still an active community of users. In order to encourage further development, I have decided to make the software freely available under a modified BSD license.

The Open Source version of the REDUCE algebra system was registered on SourceForge.net on Dec 18, 2008.

REDUCE: The First Forty Years provides a more complete history.

Contributors
REDUCE traces its origins to work begun by Anthony Hearn in 1963 and continued ever since. The first distribution occurred in 1968. Since that time, over a hundred people have been involved in various ways in its development.

A small number of these people have made sustained contributions to the REDUCE core and associated packages over many years, namely John Fitch, Herbert Melenk, Winfried Neun, Arthur Norman and Eberhard Schrüfer.

Others who have contributed to either documentation or packages for REDUCE include...

RobC

Postby RobC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 am

BigEd wrote:Built on a Lisp - is the Lisp level available I wonder?

Acorn advertised REDUCE alongside other 32016 software in their price lists and so I strongly suspect that it will work with the LISP supplied with the 32016 co-pro. (And the 32016 brochure makes a point of stating that its Cambridge LISP is "largely compatible" with the University of Utah's "Standard LISP".

(Thinking about it, I think I've seen some references to REDUCE in the 32016 LISP manual...)

I'm going to try to get it installed on my DC hard drive today so we should know for sure then.

davidb

Postby davidb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:22 am

I don't know how I got the link wrong there - I usually copy and paste them.

Anyway, it's interesting but probably not surprising given the LISP-Cambridge-Acorn connections to see Arthur Norman in that list. :)

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:59 am

According to the manual, REDUCE comes with an associated support language, RLISP.
It also comes with a Standard LISP compiler which is loaded on demand (switch COMP should be turned on).

paulb

Postby paulb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 am

Boydie wrote:According to the manual, REDUCE comes with an associated support language, RLISP.
It also comes with a Standard LISP compiler which is loaded on demand (switch COMP should be turned on).

More details on RLISP here.

Return to “archive submissions”