Xanadu Adventure (1982), Hopesoft

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
lurkio

Xanadu Adventure (1982), Hopesoft

Postby lurkio » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:50 pm

xanadu-alt_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg
Xanadu Adventure cassette inlay cover

Here's the epic and incredibly difficult Xanadu Adventure by Paul Shave of Hopesoft.

The disc-image now has fast (and hopefully correct!) relocator code for the Model B. The game also runs on a Master 128. (Plus, on a Master 128, you can save your position to disc.)*

Download:

UPDATE - April 2017 I found (on tape on eBay) a later (1983) release of Xanadu Adventure known as version "2t". The main game file is smaller than in the previous version, and there's now a loading screen too. I've transferred version 2t to a disc-image and added full instructions:

XANADU2t.ssd.zip
    .SSD disc-image of version 2t of Xanadu Adventure by Hopesoft, with full instructions included on disc
    (22.91 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

For completeness, here's the first, older (1982) release of the game:

XANADU.ssd.zip
      .SSD disc-image of Xanadu Adventure by Hopesoft
      (17.37 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Play online:

(Here's the earlier (1982) release.)

Instructions:

xanadu.pdf
    Instructions for Xanadu Adventure
    (932.86 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Xanadu Adventure 2t instructions.jpeg
    Addendum to instructions for version 2t of Xanadu Adventure

Video playthrough of the game:

More details about the game here:

:idea:

* On a Master 128 you can save your position to disc but only if you're using the original (1982) release of the game, in which case you should follow this section of the instructions (substituting "disc" for "tape"):

Paul Shave wrote:ZZZZ ends the Adventure. It asks you if you want to save it, so that you can start again from that point. If you do want to save it, type Y and then record on a (blank) tape. To start again from the saved point, *LOAD "DATA" (don't forget the asterisk) using this tape after you've loaded XANADU (use LOAD rather than CHAIN), and type RUN. It only takes a few seconds to save the data on tape. After you've saved the data, if you type RUN, you'll restart at the point you stopped.

(Full instructions attached above.)
Last edited by lurkio on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 am, edited 17 times in total.

denni505

Re: Xanadu Adventure (1982), Hopesoft

Postby denni505 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks for image and your hard work putting this on

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks! I've already tweaked it (minor change)!

:roll:

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

Postby b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:49 am

Was the disc loader I sent you of any use in the end?

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 am

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 wrote:Was the disc loader I sent you of any use in the end?

Thanks for the .SSD you sent me, but it contains files that are different from those on the .SSD that I uploaded above.

I didn't use the files on your .SSD because the main game file, which is called $.XANADU2 on your disc, is shorter than the one I ended up using.

The game file on my .SSD is taken straight from the tape-image in the Stairway To Hell archive: I didn't alter it in any way. (I'm assuming that the file on the STH tape-image is a direct, unaltered copy of the file on the original physical tape.)

I always prefer not to meddle with original files -- partly out of paranoia that I'll accidentally break something, but also to try to retain the authenticity and byte-for-byte integrity of the original game.

Dave Footitt

Postby Dave Footitt » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 pm

For some reason I found myself reading this at the weekend, nicely done that man.

Lovely job on the video walkthrough too!

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Dave Footitt wrote:For some reason I found myself reading this at the weekend, nicely done that man. Lovely job on the video walkthrough too!

Thanks, Dave! Btw, what ever happened to that Beeb adventure creation tool you were developing..? :-k (Bet you wish I hadn't mentioned it! :wink: )

Xanadu Adventure is, in many ways, the bane of my life. After I'd written the walkthrough and made the video, it was brought to my attention that I'd just been assuming that a particular object could always be found before you'd unlocked a certain region of the map. That assumption turned out to be wrong. Which doesn't really matter except that it kind of completely invalidates my solution and the video. Aargh.

On top of that, I recently bought a copy of the original tape off eBay (with the idea that I'd eventually be buried with it), only to discover that it was a version of the game that was different from the one I'd been playing all this time -- and I hadn't even known that there was more than one version! The "new" one is a later release (version "2t"),* and the file-length of the main game program is smaller than before. Plus, there may be subtle differences in gameplay that I won't know about unless I'm mad enough to brave the infuriating randomness of Xanadu Adventure and play it through yet again. Double aargh.

:?

* and it's different from the STH copy

Dave Footitt

Postby Dave Footitt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 pm

lurkio wrote:what ever happened to that Beeb adventure creation tool you were developing..?

I had a particular idea in mind and wanted a (modern) tool to enable me to write it for the BBC. Unfortunately it never got much past printing out the locations, which is a shame but I don't have the time or energy these days. Maybe I'll write the actual adventure in that inform language if I ever feel the need.

I've since finished your youtube walkthrough of Xanadu, really is a lovely job you've done. You should do some more :D

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:38 pm

I've uploaded the later release of Xanadu Adventure that I recently bought on eBay.

See the first post in this thread.

Return to “archive submissions”