Strange Arculator Crash

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
KarateEd

Strange Arculator Crash

Postby KarateEd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:39 am

Hi Folks,

Very new to Arculator and the Archimedes platform. I'm trying to get ready for when my A3010 arrives....so now, the problem.

My emulator seemed to crash after I double clicked a !Boot file to try to get Terramex to run under it.

The attached picture shows what I was left with.

My question....how do I get back to the normal desktop. I'm making an assumption the the emulator is telling me to type Desktop at the F12 prompt.

That didn't work, it just gave the error you see and returned me back to the *.

Thanks very much for any help.

Ed.......:-)
Attachments
Errors.png

richardtoohey

Re: Strange Arculator Crash

Postby richardtoohey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:11 am

How much of the game actually ran?

It might have left the machine (virtual in this case) in a state where only a reboot would restore things?

Bit like some games on the BBC - Ctrl-Break wouldn't be enough (sometimes) - you'd need to power off and on again.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:18 am

richardtoohey wrote:How much of the game actually ran?

It might have left the machine (virtual in this case) in a state where only a reboot would restore things?

Bit like some games on the BBC - Ctrl-Break wouldn't be enough (sometimes) - you'd need to power off and on again.

ah yes, but I did do that Richard. Having been in PC Support for 13.5 years (and seemingly going back to it) it's one of the first things one looks at....so....I did that.

It made absolutely no difference to the OS, it still comes up this way.

Seems something has been somehow damaged with the install when I ran the !Boot file.....maybe I have to run this differently because when I try to run it, it just shows a whole list of files. It only makes sense to pick the !Boot file and try to run it....makes the screen go a bit weird then crashes like this.

This happened to me with another game as well, same idea, !Boot type of situation so....it will take someone who knows Archies fairly well to sort this one I think.

It might mean a complete reinstall of Arculator. That's what I did last time but I want to make sure before I destroy this one.....although.....I DO have a manual to reinstall it if I need to..... :lol:

Ed......:-)

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:10 am

So, it's actually trashed the Arculator install (or at least, the hard disc image file).

In theory, you could copy the corrupted image file (HD4.HDF?) out the way, and try a new blank one.

Or you could wait until someone who knows what they are talking about comes along.

paulv

Postby paulv » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:28 am

Was this an adf file mounted via adffs launched using a double click?

If so, it may be that the game has trashed the CMOS settings. You should always use the "boot from floppy" option so adffs can do its thing and protect your system from the worst effects of games that think that only a stock A305 ever existed...

I'd recheck all your CMOS settings before going any further.

Paul

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:40 am

KarateEd wrote:My emulator seemed to crash after I double clicked a !Boot file to try to get Terramex to run under it.

It's trashed your CMOS, you'll need to either type "ROMMODULES" and then "RMREINIT <module>" for all that are unplugged, or replace Arculator\CMOS\<model>\CMOS.BIN. You may also be able to hold DEL from power on to reset the CMOS, but I'm not sure if that works in Arculator.

If you're using ADFFS and the officially released Terramex, you need to be aware of two details on the ADFFS beta download page:

1. In the Known issues section: "Does not work on a RISC OS 3.1x machine with more than 12mb of RAM". You'll need to reduce your memory to 8mb in Arculator before ADFFS will work

2. The very important notes next to the download link, which is there to prevent this sort of problem happening in the first place:

NOTE: You must have !SparkFS loaded and use "Boot floppy" to run a game. If you don't, you could end up with a machine that isn't bootable, as some games try to alter the CMOS. Provided "Boot floppy" is used, ADFFS will prevent games from altering both the CMOS and unplugging modules.
DO NOT try to run a game by launching it's Icon - it will almost certainly damage your machine.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:56 pm

It is worth pointing out that many games (like Terramex) which cause issues such as the one experienced by Ed, are games that were not designed to run on RISC OS 3.

These games tend to have been designed for Arthur OS and if you were actually running the game on a 1mb Arthur OS machine, the game would restore settings to the Arthur OS defaults when you exit with Ctrl-Break. However, most people don't use Arthur OS...!

So Jon has provided the "Boot Floppy" function from ADFFS. This works for every game and (amongst other things) ensures that all RISC OS 3 settings are preserved and restored correctly on exit.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Ah, very good to know the way to repair foolish Windows attempts on older OSs.

We are repair, TerraMax works as advertised above.

Thanks Jon and Steve.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:26 pm

After thinking about this, I realized I didn't say what I did to fix Arculator.

I did as Jon suggested - executed ROMMODULES and then any module that showed as unplugged, I used RMREINIT <modulename> to reactivate that module. Once all unplugged modules were reinitialized, I Reset Arculator from the menu and it came back normally.

Now I have a couple more tools when I get in trouble. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

Ed......:-)

Return to “emulators”