RPC emulator that accurately implements T1

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
sirbod

RPC emulator that accurately implements T1

Postby sirbod » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:33 am

Does such an emulator exist? I've tested the following so far, are there any others in development that I don't know about?

Red Squirrel - the most accurate emulator out of all of them, except T1 jumps around
RPCEmu - has several fatal issues which prevents ADFFS from working and T1 not accurate
VirtualPC-SE - identical to Red Squirrel as far as T1 goes. It's also missing lots of functionality

I don't have VirtualPC-SA to test, but suspect it will have the same issues as VirtualPC-SE

EDIT: I've listed the various emulators and the suitability for gaming here
Last edited by sirbod on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarchos

Re: RPC emulator that accurately implements T1

Postby Zarchos » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:09 pm

UP as this is very important.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:06 am

I don't think one exists. It needs Tom to work his magic on RPCEmu as he did with Arculator. Tom did start it after all, so I'm surprised its not more accurate.

What I'd like to see is proper TLB cache and Instruction/Data cache emulation, with the option to turn the cache off where folk want speed over accuracy. We need at least one emulator that properly emulates a StrongARM for development purposes.

Seems a bit daft that 20 years on, we still need a physical machine to test software actually runs correctly.

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:35 am

I think my employer would have things to say about me working on RPCemu again. It's a miracle I got permission to work on Arculator.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:35 am

TomWalker wrote:I think my employer would have things to say about me working on RPCemu again. It's a miracle I got permission to work on Arculator.

Have you asked them?

We could sure do with your expertise in emulating Acorn machines to get RPCEmu up to the level it needs to be at.

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Yes, anything above ARMv2 would be an issue as there are still active patents and the like on ARMv3. It's a bit of a murky area legally, but if I want to continue working at ARM it would probably be best to avoid violating their IP.

Besides, I have zero interest in working on RPCemu again.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 pm

TomWalker wrote:It's a bit of a murky area legally, but if I want to continue working at ARM it would probably be best to avoid violating their IP.

Absolutely, real life has to come first.

Return to “emulators”