Arculator and some games

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
M_Ron

Arculator and some games

Postby M_Ron » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:51 pm

Ok, I've downloaded and installed Arculator. I can play most games fine. Great. But there are few that come on two disks and I can't get any of them to work. For example, Apocalypse - the title screen loads but then nothing more. The hourglass keeps filling and emptying but the game doesn't load and there's no request for the second disk.

Can anyone help?

M_Ron

Re: Arculator and some games

Postby M_Ron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 pm

dear oh dear, can no one help
:cry:

tlsa

Postby tlsa » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:26 pm

You could try opening the disc images in ADFFS (http://adffs.filecore.net/). Then you can change disc with keys.

CTRL-SHIFT-F1 thru F9: Change disc in a multi-disc game

M_Ron

Postby M_Ron » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I haven't noticed it until now.
How should I install ADFS? I don't seem to be able to find any instructions.
Thanks again,
Ron

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:04 am

You'll want to download the latest version, which you can get from the JASPP site

You can also download released games floppies/manuals etc there.

To install, simply extract the ZIP (under emulation to keep the file types) and run !ADFFS. Right-click on !ADFFS and select Help for detailed info on how to use the more advanced features.

When you copy the floppy images over, set the file type to "Floppy". To swap discs use SHIFT-CTRL-F1 to F9, F1 being disc 1 and ensure the last character of the filename in the disc no.

If you have any further questions, by all means raise a thread on the JASPP forum, where I can help with more specific issues.

M_Ron

Postby M_Ron » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this. Looks like it's aimed more at my humble level! I plan to give it a go later.

M_Ron

Postby M_Ron » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Oh dear, I'm stuck already!

How do I open a ZIP file in Arculator? I'm trying to use Change Disc but ZIP is not one of the recognised file types. Should I unpack the ZIP using Windows?

nOmArch

Postby nOmArch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Yes.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:16 pm

M_Ron wrote:How do I open a ZIP file in Arculator?

Download a copy of the self-extracting version of SparkPlug 2.26, launch it to install, then launch the ZIP to open. You may need to change the filetype of the ZIP to "Archive" first.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:33 pm

sirbod wrote:
M_Ron wrote:How do I open a ZIP file in Arculator?

Download a copy of the self-extracting version of SparkPlug 2.26, launch it to install, then launch the ZIP to open. You may need to change the filetype of the ZIP to "Archive" first.

Well it's a good answer except if the OP hasn't got a proper Boot structure he will get the error message about System Ressources not found.

Another solution is to download from http://www.apdl.co.uk/freeware.htm
the read only !SparkFS
then with middle button set the filetype to Absolute (or ff8 in RISC OS language) and double click on the file and obey the installation procedure.

Hope this helps (I'm fighting to get a running ArcEm and encountered this issue these days).

Xavier.

PS : And as Jon said once you copied some zipped files you must set their types to Archive
Don't forget also your decruncher apps must have been seen by the filer otherwise RISC OS won't understand which app this Archive filetype is related to.(I hope it's correct English with the 'to' at the end ;-) )
This is true also when you want to apply the filetype Archive to a file (the filer must have seen an app knowing this filetype) as Archive is not in the list of what RISC OS knows by default about.
To overcome this issue, forget human language and filetype the zipped files with the numerical form of Archive, which is &DDC ... but then anyway you'll get an error message when you double click on it unless the RISC OS filer has seen the unzipping apps.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:39 pm

Yesterday I got Arculator up and running with help from Steve3000 and Sirbod....

I decided I would create a document for that and have asked a couple people check it out as we speak.

Having said that, I'll post the link here for anyone that may need that kind of help. It's also a good test of whether the doc is rubbish or not as to how much use it really is.

Hope it can help you.

Ed......:-)

download/file.php?id=15298

Return to “emulators”