VirtualRPC screen resize in virtual machine

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
Boydie

VirtualRPC screen resize in virtual machine

Postby Boydie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 am

I may be trying to be overly ambitious here, but I'm going to try anyway...

I currently use VirtualRPC as my emulator of choice, probably mainly because I paid for it (some years ago before there were decent alternatives) so I'm determined to get my money's worth! I also have a central server at home (OpenSUSE, Haswell Refresh class i5, plenty of spare memory) which can run a virtual machine (XP or Win7) and which all other machines in the house can remotely access via NoMachine.
Hence the rather convoluted plan is to log into server via NX, and run VRPC in the virtual machine. Accessing the virtual machine this way seems to run faster than trying a remote desktop session directly into the virtual machine.

The problem I'm getting is when VRPC wants to change screen resolution for games etc. On a real windows box, the VRPC screen just gets upscaled to occupy the entire screen. On the virtual machine VRPC no longer upscales, resulting in a blank screen with a 640 or 320x256 display in the middle. This is something of a hindrance!
This happens whether the virtual machine is being accessed over NX, via a remote desktop into the virtual machine, or even when physically logged into the server itself.

Has anyone else tried anything similar and had success? Any pointers as to what might be going wrong? I've tried VMWare and VirtualBox and the behaviour's the same in both.
My gut feeling is that VRPC should be doing the auto-scaling and for some reason it's not aware of the native resolution when in a virtual machine.
Would an alternative emulator work better? Is it just time to ditch VRPC for something better?

Return to “emulators”