ArcEm running too fast on RiscOS on Raspberry Pi

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
numbersix

ArcEm running too fast on RiscOS on Raspberry Pi

Postby numbersix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 pm

I have been blown away by the skill on display from everyone who has been working on all aspects of RiscOS recently. This week I was able to get a Raspberry Pi3 running with RiscOS and then by using !ADFFS I was able to play some of my favorite games from back in the 90s and it's put a big smile on my face! I quickly started to want to have a go at playing some of the older games and had a go at using ArcEm and RiscOS 3. I've been able to get things like Twin World and Elite working under ArcEm, but everything runs that bit too fast, enough to make playing games really quite hard.

What can I try to make ArcEm run just a bit slower? I tried *cache off on the host OS RiscOS on the Pi, but that makes ArcEm run far, far too slowly. Is there something I can use like a variable speed control? I have tried my old Pi1 as well and it doesn't make much difference to the speed it runs at. I have tried changing the !Run file to try emulating an ARM2 or ARM3 then using *cache off within the guest OS RiscOS but neither of those worked either.

While I have the luxury of my own A3000 and RiscPC from back in the 90s so I can play the games on the real hardware I want to help out a friend of mine who lives in a static caravan and doesn't have space for his own A5000/A7000 and monitor which currently have to live in storage. What I'd like to be able to give him is a Pi running RiscOS and ArcEm all set up and ready to go, me having taken his box of original game/document/app discs and imaged them so he can pile through the contents at his leisure.

If anyone can help me out it would be very much appreciated!

BigEd

Re: ArcEm running too fast on RiscOS on Raspberry Pi

Postby BigEd » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

If there's no better way, I think you can adjust the Pi clock speed by changing the top-level CONFIG/TXT and rebooting.

Code: Select all

arm_freq=800
for example should slow it down.

I haven't tried this...

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Twin World can be patched to run on a Pi.

Depending on how ArcEm is handling VSync, you might be able to run ADFFS within the emulation and use CTRL-SHIFT-PgUp to slow games down. It's not something I've tested, but would be interested to know if it works.

numbersix

Postby numbersix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks Jon, the patch doesn't seem to want to run fully under the host RiscOS on the Pi though. It starts to run, says it has changed one thing and then I get an abort on data transfer error and it exits. I tried running the patch under ArcEm just in case and I get a 'Bad drive' error whether I try it on HostFS or on an emulated hard drive.

The speed issue is better at 200MHz, thank you for the suggestion. The music tempo is a bit variable though, but I think that might be a peculiarity to ArcEm.

numbersix

Postby numbersix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:06 pm

I eventually managed to patch TwinWorld with RPCEmu and RiscOS 3.7 on a PC and then copying the result out via hostfs and a USB stick.

Jon, thanks for your work on !ADFFS, it is very much appreciated and it's certainly made my week.

Andy1979

Postby Andy1979 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:59 am

You could try a different emulator.

I have been impressed by !ArchiEmu which allows you to choose the CPU (ARM2,3,250) and turn various CPU features on and off. I am only using an original Pi1 256mb though, so no idea how fast it would run on a Pi3.

numbersix

Postby numbersix » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:36 am

Where could I find !ArchieEmu? I've been struggling to run it to ground.

Andy1979

Postby Andy1979 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:38 pm

numbersix wrote:Where could I find !ArchieEmu? I've been struggling to run it to ground.

Think I downloaded my copy from here: http://www.tellima.nl/riscos/
Believe it's the current website for the author.

Return to “emulators”