Weird issue with ADFFS Thundermonk and Arculator

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
mfc

Weird issue with ADFFS Thundermonk and Arculator

Postby mfc » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:35 am

If I use "Boot Floppy" from the ADFFS filer directly the game will run just fine, but if I run it through the command line using *ADFBootFloppy the game will load, the title screen shows up and then Arculator crashes spectacularly with a bad opcode error message.
Any idea of what might be causing the different behavior?

This seems to be the only game I'm having trouble launching using ADFBootFloppy from the command line.

sirbod

Re: Weird issue with ADFFS Thundermonk and Arculator

Postby sirbod » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:59 am

Sounds like it's jumping to the wrong address somewhere in the code (which is a common issue).

I'll take a look at the game and see if I can recreate it.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:49 pm

I've not managed to recreate the problem, however looking at the boot script it does fix a number of issues in the code. Do you have SparkFS loaded when you use ADFBootFloppy?

There's two things you can try:

1. Run the Boot script directly via: !ADFFS.obey.F1036701 (or extract it if you don't have SparkFS loaded)
  2. Run the floppy Boot loader by running ADFS::0.$.!Boot

One issue I didn't get around to fixing in this game, is the flickering character/fire. If you see flickering on RO3.11, try remove the "ADFForceVSync 2" line from !ADFFS.obey.F1036701.

mfc

Postby mfc » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Yeah, SparkFS is loaded otherwise I think no games would even load and this is the only one I was having problems with.

I figured it out meanwhile, even though I'm unsure what the exact problem was. I was automating the whole ADFFS mounting/booting through an external script and it was sending the commands to arculator before the boot process has finished since the key presses were buffered this would then make the game loading almost instantly, but this was also the culprit for the emulator crash after all.

If I wait until the desktop is visible before sending the commands all works fine, don't know why since this doesn't happen with any other game. Glad to have it figured though.

The flickering issue is pretty bad indeed especially on the character, I'm not sure how I can edit that file inside obey since it keeps telling me it's an archive once I try to save it. I can copy it into another folder, edit, but then I still can't figure out to replace the old one. Probably something simple that I'm missing.

Thanks again for your help.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:44 am

mfc wrote:The flickering issue is pretty bad indeed especially on the character, I'm not sure how I can edit that file inside obey since it keeps telling me it's an archive once I try to save it. I can copy it into another folder, edit, but then I still can't figure out to replace the old one. Probably something simple that I'm missing.

It's a ZIP file, so it's probably easier to replace it on a PC.

mfc

Postby mfc » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:01 am

I knew I was missing something simple :)

Just tried it and it helped out a bit, but didn't completely fix the issue there's still some flickering on the character from time to time, but not as bad/often as before.

Return to “emulators”