RPCEmu networking...

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
steve3000

RPCEmu networking...

Postby steve3000 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:34 pm

I'm stuck. Hopefully someone can help?

I know I had networking working fine on my install of RPCEmu v0.8.12 a year ago, but it doesn't work any more.

I admit, I have changed laptops, but I'm still running Windows 7 and I've installed the OpenVPN TAP virtual driver following the configuration guide here - then on RPCEmu I've copied my previous RISC OS 4.02 install across from previous laptop which had working network.

Thing is, it almost works... RPCEmu doesn't complain about not finding the TAP driver, and once RISC OS 4 desktop appears I can actually view ShareFS shared discs and see my real RiscPC's HDD listed in the discs on emulated RISC OS 4 (likewise I can see the RPCEmu emulated HDD on my real RiscPC) - so some data (the HDD name!) is getting between the two systems. But if I try to access the shared drives, on either computer, it pops up an error "(64) - sendto" - which I guess means the computer isn't responding?

Similarly if I try to ping another computer it usually fails (error "ping: sendto: Host is down"), but once in a while (every 50 or so pings, it returns successfully - although usually after a long time, 8000ms or so).

I don't think the issue is the emulated RISC OS setup, because this setup has worked previously and the setup ("*ifconfig -a") matches that shown in the guide here. So the issue must be with Windows I guess...? Unless I've missed something? :?:

hubersn

Re: RPCEmu networking...

Postby hubersn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:03 pm

I am pretty sure that you have to disable the Windows firewall for certain ports to get ShareFS working - 32770, 32771 and 49171.

Have fun
hubersn

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

hubersn wrote:I am pretty sure that you have to disable the Windows firewall for certain ports to get ShareFS working - 32770, 32771 and 49171.

Have fun
hubersn

Hey thanks, I had wondered about that - however I just tried enabling the ports, but no change. :(

I think the problem is slightly different, it's not just ShareFS that is failing, it's everything - I can't get PING to work other than one in every 100 or so times.

However ShareFS under RPCEmu can still see the drive name from my real RiscPC through the network, so some data is getting through. I expect it is the windows firewall or some associated windows block on incoming connections. I've tried "turning off" the windows firewall, but this doesn't help - although being Windows, I'm not sure "turning off" actually disables all the protection on incoming connections...

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:43 pm

Progress ... sort of. I've compared my current rpclog.txt file from my current installation with failed networking, with an old rpclog.txt file I found on a backup of my original working installation on my previous laptop. There is an interesting difference at the end of the file.

Current (failed networking) rpclog.txt:

Code: Select all

RPCEmu: Machine reset
Tap-Win32: device name: rpcemu
Tap-Win32: device path: \\.\Global\{06F442A3-DB84-404F-9C1F-82F790888B72}.tap
Tap-Win32: File opened
Tap-Win32: version: 9.21.0
Tap-Win32: status set
Tap-Win32: tap_win32_overlapped_init done
Tap-Win32: Thread created
RPCEmu: Machine reset complete
HostFS: Registration request version 3 accepted
Tap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - beforeTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - afterTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - beforeTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - afterTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - beforeTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - afterTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - beforeTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - afterTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - beforeTap-Win32: ERROR_IO_PENDING - afterTap-Win32: tap_cleanup

Previous (working networking) rpclog.txt:

Tap-Win32: device path: \\.\Global\{CE89B137-96EF-47D3-88D4-6A16608B7C87}.tap
Tap-Win32: version: 9.9.0
HostFS: Registration request version 1 accepted
Tap-Win32: tap_cleanup

It's that pile of "ERROR_IO_PENDING" errors in my current log file which has me worried! :shock: I also noticed the version of the Tap-Win32 is different...so maybe RPCEmu needs a specific version of the OpenVPN TAP driver? :!:

I'm off to search for that older version...

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Found the correct 'old version' of the driver... but no help - the networking part of my log file matches exactly with my old log file now, but still no networking :(

Tap-Win32: device path: \\.\Global\{F7FABC56-716D-496F-B694-AFC15BCB6333}.tap
Tap-Win32: version: 9.9.0
HostFS: Registration request version 3 accepted
Tap-Win32: tap_cleanup

I've also tried an old version of RPCEmu (0.8.9) but still getting the same issue - no response from ping. Can't ping the router or even the host windows PC... Must be something I'm missing... :x

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:20 pm

steve3000 wrote:Must be something I'm missing... :x

And there was! I've finally managed to get fully working RPCEmu networking under Windows 7, 64bit. :D

The solution (in addition to using the correct version of the TAP virtual ethernet driver, and using a wired connection) - multiple PC resets are needed!

In typical Windows style, if it doesn't work when you think it should, reset, wait for a minute or two (to allow the PC network connections to set up) and try RPCEmu again... and if it still doesn't work, do the same again...

So far at most I've only had to reset windows twice to get networking RPCEmu functioning properly after switching on the PC - normally RPCEmu works straight away, sometimes it needs one reset and very rarely it needs two... I suspect the resets are required because the bridged network connection didn't complete its setup in the time I allowed, or just failed to complete at all..?

Will post full details later this weekend. For the moment:

working rpcemu networking win7 - ping.png

Return to “emulators”