Arculator and Bubble Impact

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
mfc

Arculator and Bubble Impact

Postby mfc » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 am

Is it possible to run Bubble Impact with Arculator? All I get is a black screen when I try to run it, if I wait a while then I get present with the error message "SWI name not known" and it gets back to the desktop.

Is the game incompatible with the emulator or does it require any specific settings/modules? I checked the game's help file, but couldn't find anything special in there.

steve3000

Re: Arculator and Bubble Impact

Postby steve3000 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:26 pm

mfc wrote:Is it possible to run Bubble Impact with Arculator? All I get is a black screen when I try to run it, if I wait a while then I get present with the error message "SWI name not known" and it gets back to the desktop.

I don't know that game but the error suggests the game either isn't set up correctly (possibly missing one or more !System modules) or you're running a different version of RISC OS under Arculator compared to what the game expects.

First do you know what version of RISC OS the game needs? And what version are you running?

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:56 pm

mfc wrote:Is it possible to run Bubble Impact with Arculator?

It's not possible to run Bubble Impact under Arculator as its a RiscPC only game. It runs under Red Squirrel okay and possibly works under other emulators.

mfc

Postby mfc » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:26 am

It is? I didn't know that, but I did try running it under RPCEmu, but I always get this error:
http://imgur.com/a/qgvT2
Pressing the Describe button:
http://imgur.com/a/Hjdpf

I can't even open the !Help file with the same error so I assumed it was because the game wasn't for RiscPC. Could be a missing module I guess (don't think so because the !Help file also doesn't open), but there's literally no info about what module(s) might be required and the error messages give you nothing about that either.

I'm using the version from iconbar by the way:
http://www.iconbar.com/downloads/

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:12 pm

As Jon says, this one is definitely RiscPC only, I just had a look because I'd not heard of that game before - downloaded bubimp.zip from the link above and it ran fine first time on the copy of RPCEmu I currently have on my test laptop (RPCEmu v0.8.12).
bubim.png

However, the fact that you get an error when you open the !Help suggests there may be something wrong with your RPCEmu setup (or the game has become corrupted), because the !Help file is just a text file and should open in the built-in !Edit application.

Do other applications and games run OK from your RPCEmu install? And what settings are you using? Based on the date of the game, it may be expecting RISC OS version 3.7 - it almost certainly won't need RISC OS 4 because this wasn't available at the time of game's release.

mfc

Postby mfc » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:39 pm

Guess what, problem was from the RPCEmu version I was using. I'm on v0.8.14 which is the latest, since you mentioned v0.8.12 I grabbed that one just to test it and the game booted without any issues (I'm also on OS3.7 btw)! Seems that v0.8.14 introduced some regression that causes the game not to work.
My setup seems fine btw I can run multiple applications including games like ArcQuake.

Back to Bubble Impact, it was almost too good to be true, because I can only go as further as typing the player name after that I get a black screen forever so I cannot actually play the game, this is so frustrating :(
What screen mode are you using? I think the game sets this on its own, but worth a shot. Any special modules you might have installed? Since it gives me no error it's pretty damn hard to understand what's the problem.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:04 pm

mfc wrote:Back to Bubble Impact, it was almost too good to be true, because I can only go as further as typing the player name after that I get a black screen forever so I cannot actually play the game, this is so frustrating :(
What screen mode are you using? I think the game sets this on its own, but worth a shot. Any special modules you might have installed? Since it gives me no error it's pretty damn hard to understand what's the problem.

Yes that's frustrating.

There's nothing special in my !Boot, it's not modified (at least not as far as I know!). I'm running the Acorn AKF60 mode file.

There is a mode definition file in the game folder - I came across it earlier. Might be worth adding to your mode file and trying to enter that mode from the desktop, to rule out any problem here?

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:29 pm

Personally, I'd avoid RPCEmu for games. I tested quite a few emulators and found that the majority have issues when it comes to games.

Although its aimed at running games with ADFFS under emulation, it might be worth taking a look at my post on the subject.

mfc

Postby mfc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:14 am

steve, I wasn't using AKF60, but just switched to it and same problem adding the extra lines didn't make any difference. Are these your settings:
http://imgur.com/a/JKHKn

If you are using a standard !Boot would it be possible for you to share it? If I could test with that to see if it would work or not I could at least start excluding possible causes to the problem.

sirbod, I never had any big problems with RPCEmu so far, it's not perfect, but at least is still being actively developed. I think RedSquirrel's last version is from something like 2002? And steve already proved this game does work on it so it must be some mis-configuration on my end.
I did have issues running ADFFS games on it, but then again I don't really have the need to do so as I can use Arculator for those as it's a lot more suited for the job.

mfc

Postby mfc » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:36 am

Can anyone please help me out with a working setup for this game?

I tried with Red Squirrel and same issue, already tried with a clean !Boot folder, using uniboot and always the same problem so this definitely doesn't work with default settings something extra must be needed, I'd really like to know what.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:30 pm

mfc wrote:Can anyone please help me out with a working setup for this game?

I've tried to get it to break this morning, even under Red Squirrel with no !Boot and default settings I've managed to get it running, so it doesn't require anything to work, other than the mode definition. I spotted in the code that it does use ColourTrans, but that's a standard RISCOS Module on 3.70.

Using RISCOS 3.70 to match your setup, I've tried both ARM710, StrongARM, with and without borders, with/without hardware scaling. I simply can't break it. I also tried a vanilla download of the latest build of RPCEmu, which admittedly failed to run it as it's not emulating some instructions correctly.

If you want to have a look at the source, to figure out where/why it's failing (it's written in BASIC):
  1. Do a SHIFT-BOOT so you're at the Supervisor prompt with no !Boot having run
  2. DIR <the directory !BubImpact is in>
  3. !BubImpact
  4. After a few seconds it will report Error: Screen mode not available
  5. BASIC
  6. OLD
  7. SAVE "!BubImpact.!RunImage"

mfc

Postby mfc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:30 am

I doubt I would be able to figure out anything from the source code to be honest, I run those commands and then looked into the !RunImage basic code, but there's a lot of code in there and it's not like I can add breakpoints to it and debug it afaik so it would be like finding a needle in a haystack :)

I don't know how you were able to run it without !Boot, because it requires the mode definition so I keep getting the screen mode error. I don't know how to add a mode definition without having a !Boot in place perhaps you could enlighten me about how to do that?
I'm surely not as near as knowledgeable as you guys when it comes to RiscOS, but if you give me a bit of help into the right direction I can figure it out.

Thanks

mfc

Postby mfc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:44 am

I finally got this thing running, and with the latest RPCEmu! Phew... took me several iterations, messed around with so many things that I'm not even sure what the problem was, but it works now. I think I better make a backup of this setup just in case :)

Return to “emulators”