P.R.E.S. AP5 - Original and Re-Design

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
TheCorfiot

Re: P.R.E.S. AP5 - Original and Re-Design

Postby TheCorfiot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Thank You Dave B, and Dave H for that matter

The AP5 works perfectly with the ELK103 ROM and My BBC IDE Interface, I'm in the process of compiling a nice HD Image :)

I'm going to beg DaveB or JGH to please modify the ADFSE00 ROM which I have attached to access the AP5 1MHz Bus I/O address.
It's very useful for use with the Model B in that you can Softload it to a SWR Bank using ADFS 133 and then hand over control so you can use the IDE HD with Page=&E00

Please, with sugar on top lol

Thx
Attachments
ADFS132eoo.txt
BIN File
(16 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:29 pm

TheCorfiot wrote:I'm going to beg DaveB or JGH to please modify the ADFSE00 ROM which I have attached to access the AP5 1MHz Bus I/O address.
It's very useful for use with the Model B in that you can Softload it to a SWR Bank using ADFS 133 and then hand over control so you can use the IDE HD with Page=&E00

I'm not familiar with this particular ADFS version. But the IDE hardware is at the same address (&FC4x) in both the Elk/AP5 and the Beeb. So if it's not working in the Elk, then it's for some other reason.

Dave

TheCorfiot

Postby TheCorfiot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:51 pm

oooh, Did not realise the IO address was the same... Must try it :)
The Floppy Access of course will be wrong :)

TheCorfiot

Postby TheCorfiot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Electron wont even Boot (CTRL BREAK) Once it's been softloaded..

:(

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:05 pm

TheCorfiot wrote:Electron wont even Boot (CTRL BREAK) Once it's been softloaded..

Have you tried this version patched for the Elk by AlanD:
viewtopic.php?p=59497#p59497

Dave

TheCorfiot

Postby TheCorfiot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Thank you my friend, I didn't even now that existed

Will try it later
Cheers
:)

TheCorfiot

Postby TheCorfiot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Well ADFS135 Works on IDE fine but it's command set makes it pretty useless.
Also as Prime (Phill HS) found out with his Plus3 the Floppy Support doesn't work..

We have some great Hardware now chaps but sadly the Software support to use this Hardware at it's best is non existant, My Hardware skills are OK but sadly my software skills are non existent otherwise I would throw myself into developing a suitable E00ADFS ROM.

I Hope our resident Guru's JGH and Dave B can help

:)

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I don't know much about filing system ROMs. :( I'm sure there must be existing ROMs for the BBC (Master Compact?) that could handle ADFS hard drives. Maybe someone has already made one of those work on an Electron...

danielj

Postby danielj » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:31 pm

The E00 elk ADFS had the SCSI code whipped out of it and needs two banks of RAM. I suspect the easiest thing would be to pull that apart and add the IDE code back in? (not that I'm volunteering at the moment!)

d.

TheCorfiot

Postby TheCorfiot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:37 pm

danielj wrote:The E00 elk ADFS had the SCSI code whipped out of it and needs two banks of RAM. I suspect the easiest thing would be to pull that apart and add the IDE code back in? (not that I'm volunteering at the moment!)

d.

That I believe would certainly be the best way to go...

You Tease, You, lol... :)

I think we need to grab JGH before we lose him to the House of Commons lol :D

danielj

Postby danielj » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:41 pm

(I got tied up fixing ADFS 1.35 to work on the Master under OS1.2, and have never managed to get it to work with floppies :( )

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm

TheCorfiot wrote:Well ADFS135 Works on IDE fine but it's command set makes it pretty useless.
Also as Prime (Phill HS) found out with his Plus3 the Floppy Support doesn't work

A bit harsh Baz, you already knew the Plus3 was utter garbage, think DaveH has done an excellent job =D> on this RARE as hens teeth board (only 5 originals in universe? :? ), and works well with all my stuff with no problem at all. ((DataCentre, UPURS, MMFS, matchbox Co pro/s & eproms) not tried a old HD or Card on the IDE data centre....)
Have you tried DFS, it's the dogs bollox as you well know!! :lol: :wink:

PS if your elk 'hangs' as you said, press Shift T Break, then the CFS takes over , & burries ADFS :D
ImageImageImage

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:03 pm

What's actually needed is the ACP ADFS E00 with the Hard Drive code put back in place, IDE code added, keeping Page at E00. So will need to use the Bank Switching, on the AP5, to gain the extra memory. The RAM overlay is there already . . . Oh! And JGH :roll: =D>

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

TheCorfiot

Postby TheCorfiot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:52 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
TheCorfiot wrote:Well ADFS135 Works on IDE fine but it's command set makes it pretty useless.
Also as Prime (Phill HS) found out with his Plus3 the Floppy Support doesn't work

A bit harsh Baz, you already knew the Plus3 was utter garbage, think DaveH has done an excellent job =D> on this RARE as hens teeth board (only 5 originals in universe? :? ), and works well with all my stuff with no problem at all. ((DataCentre, UPURS, MMFS, matchbox Co pro/s & eproms) not tried a old HD or Card on the IDE data centre....)
Have you tried DFS, it's the dogs bollox as you well know!! :lol: :wink:

PS if your elk 'hangs' as you said, press Shift T Break, then the CFS takes over , & burries ADFS :D

LOL, it was not my intention to be Harsh in anyway, Dave H's Hardware is fantastic as always..
I do actually like both ADFS and DFS with no preference over the other but then I also like BBC Masters too.
I hope you don't stop talking to me now..lol

;)

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Just wanted to say that this board is wonderful. I finally got around to soldering up a 9 pin connector to test the usb serial link on the (E)UPURS and everything is lovely. I sent a dsd floppy image to the laptop and one back to the Electron and all is good, I have tested the Beeb compatible user port with my AMX mouse and the hacked version of AMX Art that the genius that is Mr Barr did for me a few years back and that works fine too.

Big thumbs up for the AP5 redesign! =D> =D>

Return to “hardware”