EPROM Programmer collectors roll call

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
duikkie

Re: EPROM Programmer collectors roll call

Postby duikkie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:41 am

i have a 27c128a , with all bytes ff(h) if i program byte 0 with 4c(h) or an other byte , the result is 00 :(
every time from ff to 00 error

duikkie wrote:mmmm, then i don't know why it is not possible to program 1 byte al all ? , reading no problem , but programming error no communication with epp ? so modern computers is not that simple anymore ? , communication with rs232 port changed ?

poink wrote:
duikkie wrote:not looked closely but i think is has to do with the timerchip ah=0 , int 1a(h) , what is not working anymore. but maybe i am wrong.

The only reference to an EPP-2 programmer I can find is the one made by Art Programming Systems, which is a serial programmer, and has a simple text based protocol and supports flow control. It'll do the timing internally, indeed the manual explicitly says in Appendix A, 'Any terminal emulation program using the RS232 communication port of the host can be used to operate the EPP-1F/2.'

1980s_john

Postby 1980s_john » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:16 am

Hi,
I have Celectronic Promicron 2000 and 2300: http://vintagecomputers.site90.net/ce/

Can handle 2708 to 27512, RS232 interfaces to PC.

However I usually use a Dataman S4.

Regards,
John

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:36 am

I did try a couple of ways of getting my epp-2 to work with different PCs, but ended up installing an old one with win98 and then using DOS.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:05 pm

With windows xp making a msdos upstart disk then ppdos on a: extract it del german and french lan and hlp files. On other a: disk ffc.exe to make .s2f files

tricky wrote:I did try a couple of ways of getting my epp-2 to work with different PCs, but ended up installing an old one with win98 and then using DOS.

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 am

Just bought another programmer - MINI PRO USB TL866A because there's open source software available for Linux/OSX. I sprang £50 for a UK seller of the 'A' model, which has the ICSP facility enabled because I use that a lot. It doesn't do PIC32 but I can live with that.

There is a cheaper 'CS' version which doesn't come with ICSP enabled but can be user upgraded with some soldering and firmware hacking. I have too much firmware hacking to do of my own hence swapping cash for convenience. You can get the CS on ebay along with a boatload of smd/plcc adapters for under £50.

ac3

Postby ac3 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:52 pm

simes wrote:Stag Orbit 32
Stag P301
Stag Orbit 48

Don't have any manuals but as the designer of these programmers I may be able to answer questions if anyone needs help.

Did you have anything to do with the Stag System 3000 programmer by any chance?

I didn't set out to collect programmers but over the years I've accumulated quite a collection. :lol:

Stag System 3000 - by far my favorite, it's pure quality and looks like it cost a lot back in the day, only problem is there's only dos software for it.
Galep-4 - My most used now I've got it working on a modern pc with a pci parallel card.
GQ-3X - USB but otherwise pretty poor, the fake 3m zif socket has pretty much had it.
Top2048 - Completely useless.
Batronix - My first programmer, early model not sure which one exactly. You have to set jumpers on it for each type of chip. :roll:
Labtool48 - Clone version so have to be careful to only use old software this one.

I think that's all of them, for now anyway. :mrgreen:

Seldon2k

Postby Seldon2k » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:18 am

Hi Dave (CanonMan),

Sorry, I have only just checked back.
The EPP-1 I have worked as an EPP-1F under later software.
It IS a serial programmer and is VERY slow with larger EPROM's.
I used it mostly with Win9x but did succeed in using it with WinXP.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work in XP compatibility mode, preferably with a Dell as they have real serial ports.

I do remember that I had to go to a later version of PromProg, it may even have been a 3rd party app for the EPP-1F/2 that I found online.
I will try to find this software, more later.

Hope this helps,
Terry (Seldon2k)

CanonMan

Postby CanonMan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Seldon2k wrote:Hi Dave (CanonMan),

Sorry, I have only just checked back.
The EPP-1 I have worked as an EPP-1F under later software.
It IS a serial programmer and is VERY slow with larger EPROM's.
I used it mostly with Win9x but did succeed in using it with WinXP.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work in XP compatibility mode, preferably with a Dell as they have real serial ports.

I do remember that I had to go to a later version of PromProg, it may even have been a 3rd party app for the EPP-1F/2 that I found online.
I will try to find this software, more later.

Hope this helps,
Terry (Seldon2k)

Hi Terry

Thanks for the info. If you manage to find the software that would be great. It will make a nice change from the Data I/O 288 that I'm working on at the moment!

Cheers,

Dave

boba

Postby boba » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Homebrew 'Willem' programmer (yeugh! But it does work).
Stag P301 - does everything I need under WinXP.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:03 am

sirmorris wrote:Just bought another programmer - MINI PRO USB TL866A because there's open source software available for Linux/OSX. I sprang £50 for a UK seller of the 'A' model, which has the ICSP facility enabled because I use that a lot. It doesn't do PIC32 but I can live with that.

There is a cheaper 'CS' version which doesn't come with ICSP enabled but can be user upgraded with some soldering and firmware hacking. I have too much firmware hacking to do of my own hence swapping cash for convenience. You can get the CS on ebay along with a boatload of smd/plcc adapters for under £50.

I got the CS version of this. I wasn't aware of the difference but I really only program EPROMs, at least at the moment, so I was looking for something cheap that I could use from Linux. The minipro program on Linux was worked flawlessly. I can't comment on how reliable the Windows drivers are.

cmorley

Postby cmorley » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:24 am

I bought a TL866CS a while ago essentially free with Nectar points through eBay. You can put the ICSP header on and mod it to an "A" if you wish. I did because I could but never used it! It programs EPROMs fine but won't program a lot of ATMEL PLDs (e.g. 22v10) - it does do some but won't do others from the same batch of chips using the generic 22V10 and setting VPP manually. So I bought a Wellon VP598 too... that was not free... by any stretch.. :S

But yes, I too can fully recommend the TL866CS if your main goal is EPROMs and EEPROMs. They haven't updated the device list or software for years now so it looks like they have given up on that... (P.S. on windows 7)

geka

Postby geka » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 am

simes wrote:Stag Orbit 32
Stag P301
Stag Orbit 48

Don't have any manuals but as the designer of these programmers I may be able to answer questions if anyone needs help.

Hello simes,

I have got an STAG Orbit 32 hand held programmer and would like to instal
the latest firmware update (FLASH102.SBN or *.bin file for 29F040 Flashrom).
Could you send it to me, please? My current firmware is Ver. 05.01 and Rev 06.03.

Thank you.

Best Regards.

geka

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 am

Watford Electronics Adder and ROM

Has the added plus that you can go for tea while it's programming a 27128, and still not miss it finishing.

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Seldon2k wrote:...I do remember that I had to go to a later version of PromProg, it may even have been a 3rd party app for the EPP-1F/2 that I found online. I will try to find this software, more later...

Did you ever find this, as I would like to get my EPP2 working on XP, although I guess it may just need a different motherboard.

robert24

Postby robert24 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Hello, we just bought a Micron Eprom Programmer (user port version) without any supporting documentation or software. We searched around and found your post saying that you might have some.

If possible, could you make whatever you have available ? we found some stuff for the "plus" version but it uses the 1mhz bus and obviously different. Couldn't find anything on the older version... but then we found you :-)

Let me know if you can help... and how we can transfer/read, etc. thanks, robert

Edit: Answered by MartinB in thread http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13939
--
Thanks for a great Beeb resource :-)

eXne

Postby eXne » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:44 pm

I’ve build my own Epromprogrammer.
It’s attached the userport.

Etienne

robert24

Postby robert24 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:01 pm

herein the results of our eprom investigations...

the one that worked for us is "WE & HCR Iss 1 Programmer.zip"

however the rest may help your quest if it helps : )

@user port eprom.7z
eprom files
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

we have more but star dot says file too large. we'll think about how to transmit
=== update
how do we store files on the web? used to know about rapidshare ? now ? ? ?
--
Thanks for a great Beeb resource :-)

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:12 pm

how do we store files on the web? used to know about rapidshare ? now ? ? ?

Dropbox is pretty good, you just want the Basic account which is free and gives you 2GB of storage. You can have private and public areas for which you can post sharing links in the usual way and there’s also an app for phones and tablets.

Return to “hardware”