LCD TVs and monitors for use with BBCs

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
crj

Re: LCD TVs and monitors for use with BBCs

Postby crj » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:53 pm

EdwardianDuck wrote:For some unspecified value of "long".

Off the top of my head, I'd say it would take of the order of a few hundred hours to cause perceptible burn-in, maybe a thousand or two for it to become a definite problem.

Though it depends very much on which length piece of string that particular manufacturer used.

Of course, if you only ever use it 4:3, the burn-in isn't an issue. (-8

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Andrewcee wrote:Thanks for info. Bought 8820 for £20, old TV at charity shop for £10, cardboard box 8220 packed in for free, and brilliant results. Few little flashing spots only when screen full of text hardly noticeable, else black. Great job!

New Master on left with video board, original B on right running Solidisk 256 board at 4MHz... if only I can work out to post picture!

Below the text edit box are two tabs, the left hand tab is labelled 'Options' and is open, the right hand tab is labelled 'Attachments'. Click on it to open it. Then click on 'Add files'. The next bit depends on what device you are using. But you should have one or more options to take a picture or upload a picture or file.

If you are uploading pictures, you can just leave them as attachments (they will display at the bottom of your post). Or you have the option to put each one "in-line" where the cursor is currently in the text box.

Note that small pictures will not show as a picture. If you want to display one like this, use the 'Preview' button (below the text box) to open it, copy the URL. Then use the 'Img' button at the top of the edit/text box, then paste the copied URL inbetween the 'Img' tags. You can also use this to display other pictures that you have a URL for, such as on your own web site, or from a photo sharing or file sharing site (although pictures on some sites will not always display due to restrictions on the photo sharing or file sharing site :twisted:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Andrewcee

Postby Andrewcee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks Mark...
image.jpeg

Update: Reason for going the 'vga' route was to open option to buy recycled PC monitor rather than £10 tv seen on left which had severe wobble on top couple lines on screen with BBC RGB to Scart input. Wobble now gone (?) with scart input, display much better quality then 8220 processor. RGB to Scart looks way to go if tv/monitor supports. TV on right is LG something or other running scart input from BBC B. Have old Microvitec Cub which although I've repaired twice, has habit of failing & blowing 2A fuses in switch mode psu mains input! Awaiting my attention for 3rd time

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am

I know it has been mentioned before, but I would just like to reiterate that the SCART / HDMI adaptors work brilliantly:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7818#p83415

You just need a standard BBC SCART cable (with appropriate resistors) to connect the BBC to the adaptor and a standard HDMI lead to go between the adaptor and any TV / monitor with a HDMI / DVI interface.

I've even swapped out the standard 6 pin RGB socket on the back of the BBC for an 8 pin equivalent and wired from the speaker pins on the BBC board to the extra pins on the RGB socket. Using the equivalent 8 pin plug, the extra sound signal from the RGB socket is then wired to the L & R channels on the SCART plug, so I now get BBC sound out of the TV :)

I did notice a comment about the aspect ratio being wrong with this unit. It does need the TV / monitor to be able to switch to 4 x 3 mode to avoid stretching. This can't be done on the adaptor.

NilByMouth

Postby NilByMouth » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:07 am

KenLowe wrote:I know it has been mentioned before, but I would just like to reiterate that the SCART / HDMI adaptors work brilliantly:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7818#p83415

This looks like the Maplin one, for which there are a few auctions on ebay.

My Cub monitor decided to give up the ghost today so I'm debating whether to go for a solution like this - I see there's a similar device on Amazon for £23.99. Would that be suitable?

Malc

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:24 pm

NilByMouth wrote:This looks like the Maplin one, for which there are a few auctions on ebay.

My Cub monitor decided to give up the ghost today so I'm debating whether to go for a solution like this - I see there's a similar device on Amazon for £23.99. Would that be suitable?

Malc
I'm not sure if that one supports TTL RGB. I'd go for the specific one referenced earlier. If you search enough on ebay for a 'SCART to HDMI adaptor' you can find some for ~£20 from a UK based supplier. For an extra ~£5 you could also get a HDMI / VGA adaptor which would allow you to connect the BBC to a VGA monitor. I've had excellent results with this configuration and don't see any of the 'sparkle' issues that others have reported with the other adaptor.

This way you get the best of all options; being able to connect your BBC to either a HDMI, DVI or VGA display!

NilByMouth

Postby NilByMouth » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:45 pm

KenLowe wrote:I'm not sure if that one supports TTL RGB. I'd go for the specific one referenced earlier. If you search enough on ebay for a 'SCART to HDMI adaptor' you can find some for ~£20 from a UK based supplier. For an extra ~£5 you could also get a HDMI / VGA adaptor which would allow you to connect the BBC to a VGA monitor. I've had excellent results with this configuration and don't see any of the 'sparkle' issues that others have reported with the other adaptor.

This way you get the best of all options; being able to connect your BBC to either a HDMI, DVI or VGA display!

Excellent! Thanks for that - I saw "Maplin" and just went down the route of looking for that. £17.59 later with free postage, I have one on order. I might get the HDMI to VGA adapter if I need it. I know my nephew has said I can have his old 12" VGA monitor, but I'll see how I get on with the 19" 4:3 LCD monitor.

Malc

Return to “hardware”