Printerface 5

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
marcusjambler

Printerface 5

Postby marcusjambler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am

I've come across mention of this device for using a ZX printer on different machines
Attachments
Printerface.pdf
(150.25 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

dominicbeesley

Re: Printerface 5

Postby dominicbeesley » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:07 am

I wonder what the output looked like on a been. Did it use the been font?

marcusjambler

Postby marcusjambler » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 am

All I have is this scrap of paper... So not sure what to make of its abilities

dominicbeesley

Postby dominicbeesley » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:58 am

I remember, briefly, having access to a ZX printer through my dad's work, though I recall it being one that printed on fax paper instead of the aluminium stuff. I used to it print maps and diagrams for my GCSE/O level Geography project which impressed the teacher!

I'd quite like a play with one as it is an interesting interface. As far as I can tell the machine basically sends a bit stream of dark/light bits rather like scanning a picture on a TV except it has to slow the printer down toward the end if you're not to get a break in the stream. The print heads and paper feed are "automagic" with a hsync pulse fed back to the computer. The printer also feeds back pulses along the line for each pixel and the computer polls this to decide when to turn on/off the next pixel

I remember trying to do some "hi-res" printing experiments by subdividing the pixels in machine code but quickly ran out of paper and patience (I didn't have an assembler for my speccy just hand coded data statements which got lost more frequently than saved!)

I'm guessing the beeb version hung off the printer or user port (I think the printer feed back several signals: pixel clock, paper detect, paper edge? but only sends two: pixel data, motor on)

D

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:25 pm

That would be the Alphacom 32 Printer then :wink:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...