Turbo MMC - MMC card setup

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
rune

Turbo MMC - MMC card setup

Postby rune » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 am

I'm trying to create a new MMC card using a 32Gb version. I've followed the instructions supplied but get an "UNKNOWN FORMAT" error when I use it in the Beeb. I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

1 - Format the card on Windows 7 as FAT. My laptop has a card reader built in.

2 - Use MMB Imager 22-0206 version to create 1 150 "drive" Beeb.MBB image

3 - Drag and drop various SSD images from STH or the CD that came with the MMC card into the virtual drives.

At this point instructions say to try it out.

Can anyone help as I dont want to mess with the original card, but I dont want 99% of the games on it wither.

Dave

DutchAcorn

Re: Turbo MMC - MMC card setup

Postby DutchAcorn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:41 am

Are you sure you are using a multi media card (not an SD card)? TurboMMC only works with MMC cards.
Paul

rune

Postby rune » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:18 am

Hi Paul

it says 32Mb MultimediaCard Sandisk on the front. So I assume it is a MMC

There are seven gold contacts across the back.

Is there any other way to tell if it is or isn't one?

Edit - I've found/bought a couple of 128 Mb Jessop MMC cards on Amazon.

Dave

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:25 pm

rune wrote:I'm trying to create a new MMC card using a 32Gb version. I've followed the instructions supplied but get an "UNKNOWN FORMAT" error when I use it in the Beeb.

I too have had problems formatting an MMC card in Windows. I was using Windows 8. (I solved it by using a Mac instead!)

Can you upload a screenshot or just tell us what settings you're using in the Format utility window?

:?:

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 pm

I had that problem with some MMC cards could not use them on the BBC but after using SDFormatter on them they where fine.
Peter.

cmorley

Postby cmorley » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Cards can be formatted with or without a partition table IIRC. So if the device expects a partition table and it was formatted with a raw partition (or the other way round) then it comes unstuck... wheras say a Windows PC will happily read/write/format either.

rune

Postby rune » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I used SD Formatter and that did the trick. When formatted the report said FAT12 and 16K sector sizes.

I was using Windows formatter with FAT and variable sector sizes before that. The sector size only goes up to 2048 bytes under Windows, so maybe that's where the problem is.

Dave

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 pm

why using old turbo mmc rom ? and very new cards ?
the problem with turbo mmc rom , it only works with FAT , only the first 8 files for beeb.mmb are checked, only bytes are used for transfer commando. new cards have block (512 bytes) transfer.

if you want turbo mmc rom , also use old cards :)

else you move on to SMART-SPI rom or the MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM one or so :)

rune

Postby rune » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Im using what Ive got that works. I've just got into using the Beeb and know virtually nothing. Knowledge will come with time, unfortunately real life and work makes that a bit slower than I would like.

I also dont particularly need an SD card that can hold thousands of virtual floppies, and to be honest , loading times are fine compared to tape and some drives.

However, I'd like to know more. Can the SMART-SPI Rom be used as a direct replacement for the MMC with no change to the hardware? Any links to the image or documentation? - I will look for it on the web, the main advantage would maybe be wider/easier access to memory cards.

And whats the "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" one? Is that the correct name and same questions as for the SMART-SPI

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:44 pm

rune wrote:However, I'd like to know more. Can the SMART-SPI Rom be used as a direct replacement for the MMC with no change to the hardware? Any links to the image or documentation? - I will look for it on the web, the main advantage would maybe be wider/easier access to memory cards.

And whats the "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" one? Is that the correct name and same questions as for the SMART-SPI

This is the thread you're looking for:

:idea:

Return to “hardware”