OLD DATA RECORDER INFO REQUIRED

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
overlander2

OLD DATA RECORDER INFO REQUIRED

Postby overlander2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Have just bought an elderly data recorder on ebay. Its one produced for WH Smith in the 80s, model CPD8300.
It came with cable that had 7 pin din connection for my BBC B. The other end had 3 jack plugs labelled rem, ear and mic as I would have expected.
However the recorder has the following ports at rear,,, "LOAD, SOUNDIN, AUX, SAVE, REM" . No problem for the REM but as I am a complete novice I need someone please to tell me which of the other ports I should plug the MIC and EAR jacks into. Currently using MIC into SAVE and ear into LOAD but
although it looks to be saving programs onto the tape I cant then find it by using *CAT or doing LOAD "progname" Can hear it go over the program while tape running though. So am I connecting it up wrongly. Please assist if you can.

richardtoohey

Re: OLD DATA RECORDER INFO REQUIRED

Postby richardtoohey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:17 am

Hi.

Not sure what you mean by this bit:

it looks to be saving programs onto the tape I cant then find it by using *CAT or doing LOAD "progname" Can hear it go over the program while tape running though.

Do you mean that if you SAVE a program, then play back you can HEAR the program (i.e. the save did appear to work - there's something on the tape)?

Or just that you can hear what's on the tape (older content) but not when you try and SAVE yourself?

overlander2

Postby overlander2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Richard, The save looks to be working. Have now located a pdf copy of the recorders user manual after a lot of searching. My connections for the mic and ear jacks are correct. The problem is now when I either try to issue a *cat or load command its not able to find the program although I can hear it when the tape runs. It was a new tape so its only my saves I can be hearing. Thanks for your reply Richard, On reading the user manual it seems
I need to be looking at head cleaning and possible adjustment.

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:24 am

If you can hear it on the tape, check that the cable's OK (continuity between EAR and the right pins on the DIN plug - if you have a multimeter, you can do that by setting it on its lowest resistance setting and seeing if there's very little resistance between the two) and if that's OK, I'd start by playing with the volume level for playback.

d.

overlander2

Postby overlander2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks again for your contributions. Have been sitting here trying all levels of sound settings and finally success. By
lowering it down to 2 on a level of 1 to 10 I can save and load and also list off progs I have saved using *CAT. I found the
user manual if anyone is interested on :
http://msx.hansotten.com/uploads/files/whsmith.pdf

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:48 am

overlander2 wrote:finally success.
=D> :D

Return to “hardware”