Compudata Hard-drive CS-1057

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
BeebMaster

Re: Compudata Hard-drive CS-1057

Postby BeebMaster » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:22 pm

It's interesting because the boot sequence shows that it tries to run the Acorn print server, which requires a separate ROM, so as it isn't present, there are Bad command errors, and then it runs the file server. It is almost certainly the Acorn Level 3 file server of a version which detects the time and date from the RTC dongle because the keystrokes input in the *KEY10 line follow the prompts for number of drives, stations and number of stations, without entering the date and time.

I'm not clear why the print server is invoked followed by the file server, because you can't run both on the same station as the file server takes over the station completely and doesn't allow the print server to function. Unless it's a hitherto undiscovered version of the file server which allows the print server to run at the same time.

Hopefully we can find a way of imaging this disc. The ADFS part will probably fit on an ADFS floppy using Treecopy or Dircopy and then imaged from the floppy as a start.

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:49 am

BeebMaster wrote:It's interesting because the boot sequence shows that it tries to run the Acorn print server, which requires a separate ROM, so as it isn't present, there are Bad command errors, and then it runs the file server. It is almost certainly the Acorn Level 3 file server of a version which detects the time and date from the RTC dongle because the keystrokes input in the *KEY10 line follow the prompts for number of drives, stations and number of stations, without entering the date and time.

I'm not clear why the print server is invoked followed by the file server, because you can't run both on the same station as the file server takes over the station completely and doesn't allow the print server to function. Unless it's a hitherto undiscovered version of the file server which allows the print server to run at the same time.

Hopefully we can find a way of imaging this disc. The ADFS part will probably fit on an ADFS floppy using Treecopy or Dircopy and then imaged from the floppy as a start.

I also found this Topic yesterday with some info:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3707#p31712

Just now I also found this too:

Acorn Level 3 File server, The Level 3 file server software runs on a Master Turbo, Master 128 or BBC Model B with 6502 second processor, 10 MB or 30MB hard disc, dual 800K floppy disc drive and Econet interface. I have seen the Acorn Level 3 file server real time clock module auctioned on Ebay, but have no details of it. I believe it is required if you use a BBC Model B with 6502 second processor as the platform for the Level 3 file server because the BBC, unlike the Master, does not have a realtime clock.

http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... conet.html

I have a Master 512 and some Beebs, but no Master Turbo, Master 128 or 6502 Second processor... :-(

Greetings, Wim... :-)

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:55 am

Good news! The Master 512 without the co-pro activated is a Master 128. So you do have one of the requisite machines.

Just *configure notube, and you're good to go.

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:28 am

Oh yes, it does partly work now... \:D/

It is identified, and like Ian said, a Acorn File Server 3... :D

Turn the sound on please, loudly... :-D

Am I the only one getting roused by this sound? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cht0d-z ... e=youtu.be

What a nice Acorn music it is... 8)

What's the next step? :-k

Last edited by Multiwizard on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 am

Multiwizard wrote:Oh yes, it does partly work now... \:D/

It is identified, and like Ian said, a Acorn File Server 3... :D

Turn the sound on please, loudly... :-D

Am I the only one getting roused by this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cht0d-z ... e=youtu.be

What a nice Acorn music it is... 8)

What's the next step? :-k

There may be some challenges ahead. Beebmaster may know alternative techniques to access files on the fileserver but normally you would need to access them using an econet station. So you'd need an econet module in your Master, an econet fitted station computer (eg Model B or Master with Econet interface), and all the wires and boxes that are required for the network.

Then you would need the system user password to get to files.

Also, there is some confusion as to the need of a 6502 second processor or 62C02 co-processor:

Is it:
The Level 3 file server software runs on a (Master Turbo), (Master 128) or (BBC Model B with 6502 second processor)

Or is it:
The Level 3 file server software runs on a (Master Turbo), (Master 128 or BBC Model B) with 6502 second processor

The sounds produced are possibly the result of wrong memory locations being written to? What does it do when you disable the current co-processor (*CONFIGURE NOTUBE)?

But do persevere, the possible reward could be a treasure of buggy school basic programs! 8)
Paul

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:18 am

Hi Paul,

a bit of luck, a few years ago I did put a Econet board into the Master, see pic...

And it must be: (Master 128) or (BBC Model B with 6502 second processor)

Instead of: (Master 128 or BBC Model B) with 6502 second processor

The video clip above is already with: *CONFIGURE NOTUBE

http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... tL23UG.pdf
Attachments
P1220591 Econet Board.JPG

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Multiwizard wrote:... a bit of luck, a few years ago I did put a Econet board into the Master, see pic...
Nice!

Multiwizard wrote:And it must be: (Master 128) or (BBC Model B with 6502 second processor)

Instead of: (Master 128 or BBC Model B) with 6502 second processor
If it works, that must be right :D

Multiwizard wrote:The video clip above is already with: *CONFIGURE NOTUBE
I should have seen that :oops:

About the video; I can't quite read what station number it reports. I don't have Econet in my Master but I understand the station number is stored in CMOS memory, has 1 as it initial value and can only be set using the *SET command provided on a separate utility disc.

After it reports the station number it should, according to the manager's guide, do a memory check and show the last free location. In your case it does not seem to do that....

So it does not seem a very happy file server yet...
Paul

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:22 pm

It starts up quick, so I made 2 snapshots of the start-up clip...

Attachments
P1220595.MOV_000011073.png
P1220595.MOV_000011626.png

Boydie

Postby Boydie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Some of the Internal Acorn Documentation I posted to the archive a while back featured Acorn's own method for hacking into an Econet system when you'd forgotten the passwords.

johnkenyon

Postby johnkenyon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Boydie wrote:Some of the Internal Acorn Documentation I posted to the archive a while back featured Acorn's own method for hacking into an Econet system when you'd forgotten the passwords.

The post can be found at
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 9&p=174807

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Ooh version 1.01, I think that's an unknown version.

The File Server requires the second processor to be running so it won't work, you just get noise through the speaker usually as it runs at &400 and overwrites the sound buffer.

Any combination of Beeb and 6502 second processor can be used - Master Turbo (ie. Master 128 + 65C102 internal co-processor) or Master, BBC B or B+ with external 6502 cheese wedge, or Master, BBC B or B+ with co-processor adapter fitted with 65C102 co-processor, or any of the modern remakes of 6502 based second processor.

Accessing the data in the Econet partition is going to be a bit tricky. JGH has a utility called "AFSFiler" which will allow you to look at files stored in the Econet partition but I'm not sure whether it will traverse through all the file structure automatically and allow you to copy everything.

I think for the time being it would be good to get everything off the ADFS part, especially v 1.01 of the file server code. Do you have a memory-card type storage facility for your Master? If so you can copy the files in two steps, from ADFS drive 0 (the hard drive) to ADFS drive 4 (floppy drive) using Copyfiles, Treecopy, Dircopy, Multicopy etc. Then when you have it on floppy you can disconnect the hard drive and connect up the memory-card type drive and copy the files form the floppy. When it's on the memory card it can be imaged in your PC. I say this because it's usually tricky to copy directly from a SASI/SCSI Winchester disc to an IDE-based memory card type drive as there are two different versions of ADFS required which can't both be active at the same time.

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi,

I have downloaded the "AFSFiler" files...

How do I get the "AFSFiler" files from the PC into the Master?... :-k

Sadly I don't have spare/empty 5.25 floppy's to put the files on too... :(

The Master also has no MMC... (at the moment)

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:47 pm

If you really don't have a spare floppy disc handy then you might be struggling. But if you have DOS Plus discs 2, 3 or 4 there might be a spare bit of space on one of them, and the PC might read them.

Otherwise I think you will have to get hold of a blank floppy or two (I can help gladly but there might be someone more local to you) and put the files you need on a DOS 720K disc in your PC, which the Master 512 will read. Acorn supplied PUTFILE and GETFILE within DOS Plus for moving files to and from ADFS.

And please make a backup copy of the ADFS contents of the hard drive to a floppy disc as soon as you can, using Treecopy (JGH) or Dircopy (on Master Welcome disc).

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:40 pm

danielj wrote:It looks like a disc from a level 3 fileserver!
Someone should have an idea about how to get the stuff off it?

DiskToFile will image the drive.
AFSFiler will 'mount' the fileserver partition (either a disk or an image file) and allow you to examine and extact the files.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:36 am

There is a directory on your other winchester called "ADFS". If I remember correctly I copied ADFS support tools there, which may include Dircopy.

Ofcourse, you would still need an ADFS formatted floppy to (1) transfer Dircopy to the other winchester and (2) copy the fileserver files.

I can send you a floppy with the ADFS tools and a few empty ADFS-formatted floppies later this week.
Paul

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:54 am

Hi,

thanks for the files Jonathan... :D

Paul, I didn't find the directory ADFS on the hard disc, but this, see pic...

Is this useful? :?

If you are willing to send me a floppy with the ADFS tools and a few empty ADFS-formatted floppies it would be great... :D

If it's possible 2 of my original Master floppy's are bad too, that's probably why I can't install/run GEM, also the file GEM.EXE is bad... :-(

So please (if possible) a copy of Disc 2 GEM Applications & Disc 3 GEM DATA too... :oops:

Of course I will pay you the floppy's and p&p costs...

Attachments
P1220683.JPG

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:00 am

Multiwizard wrote:...Paul, I didn't find the directory ADFS on the hard disc, but this, see pic...

You are looking at the DOS-Plus partition. The "ADFS" directory is on the ADFS part. You should see it if you disable the co-processor. (*configure notube)

Multiwizard wrote:..So please a copy of Disc 2 GEM Applications & Disc 3 GEM DATA too...

Sure! Anything else? 8)
Paul

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:21 am

DutchAcorn wrote:
Multiwizard wrote:...Paul, I didn't find the directory ADFS on the hard disc, but this, see pic...

You are looking at the DOS-Plus partition. The "ADFS" directory is on the ADFS part. You should see it if you disable the co-processor. (*configure notube)

Multiwizard wrote:..So please a copy of Disc 2 GEM Applications & Disc 3 GEM DATA too...

Sure! Anything else? 8)

you mean this ADFS DLR(05)? see pic.

A cup of herbal tea please... LOL

Attachments
P1220686.JPG

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 am

Multiwizard wrote:you mean this ADFS DLR(05)? see pic.

A cup of herbal tea please... LOL

Yes.

Code: Select all

*DIR ADFS
Paul

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:18 pm

ADFS directory...

Attachments
P1220689.JPG

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Multiwizard wrote:ADFS directory...

Bingo, the full contents of the ADFS tools disc. As you can see including Dircopy.
I mailed the floppies today, you should have them Wednesday at the latest.
Paul

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:
Multiwizard wrote:ADFS directory...

Bingo, the full contents of the ADFS tools disc. As you can see including Dircopy.
I mailed the floppies today, you should have them Wednesday at the latest.

oh nice... :D

I will pop up when they have arrived... :D

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi,

I got the Acorn File Server Level 3 files are on a floppy... :D

Tomorrow I will send it to DutchAcorn (Paul) so he can make useful image files of it and upload them to *. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sDPc6waWEw

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks Wim, I got the floppy today and placed the disc image in this thread: http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10543&p=182077#p182077
Paul

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:Thanks Wim, I got the floppy today and placed the disc image in this thread: http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10543&p=182077#p182077

Awesome... :D

Return to “hardware”