Model B PSU screws

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
philb

Model B PSU screws

Postby philb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:30 pm

While disassembling a pile of Beebs with a view to replacing their PSU caps, I noticed that there seem to be at least a couple of different types of screws used to hold the PSUs into the cases. Some of them had black steel machine screws, some had nylon screws, I think one had zinc plated steel. Out of idle curiosity, does anybody know if this was a deliberate design change at some point, or was it just a quirk of different assembly runs, or does it simply mean that some of my machines have had the screws replaced in the past?

£50 worth of capacitors arriving tomorrow so I have a bit of soldering ahead of me... 8)

1024MAK

Re: Model B PSU screws

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:07 pm

philb wrote:£50 worth of capacitors arriving tomorrow so I have a bit of soldering ahead of me... 8)

That's a lot of capacitors :shock:
How many machines are you servicing?

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

philb

Re: Model B PSU screws

Postby philb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Five beebs plus one A3000. I figured I might as well change all the electrolytics while I had them apart since the Bs are nearly 35 years old, even the A3000 must be 30-ish, and who knows what their electrolyte looks like now. I guess I probably ought to do the MDFS too since that is also still in pieces on the bench.

Return to “hardware”