Troubleshooting my latest BBC B

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
paulb

Re: Troubleshooting my latest BBC B

Postby paulb » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:29 pm

adrm wrote:You can get quite a number of items shipped from Elfa for NOK 60,- (GBP 5,60) shipping, and 0,- handling fee.

Deliveries are quite fast too. So I'll go with them.

Do they still provide some kind of local presence? The irritating thing about Mouser, Digikey, RS and those suppliers is that they pretend to be located in lots of countries, but then everything gets shipped from the US and everyone has to deal with customs. So they quote prices in NOK, and maybe you even pay that price, but you're really seeing a "faked" local presence.

I remember one store called IT Butikken which was actually Danish, but they appeared to have some kind of local presence in that I ordered a scanner and it arrived via Posten without any kind of customs involved at all, meaning that they must have been dealing with importing at the distribution level, not leaving it to the customer. If Elfa also manages to do this, I'd be interested in buying stuff from them again, although I probably have too much stuff to play with already. :wink:

NOK 60 is also very good. Some electronics retailers in Norway have a habit of charging NOK 120 for a padded envelope in the mail.

adrm

Postby adrm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:38 pm

paulb wrote:
adrm wrote: If Elfa also manages to do this, I'd be interested in buying stuff from them again, although I probably have too much stuff to play with already. :wink:

NOK 60 is also very good. Some electronics retailers in Norway have a habit of charging NOK 120 for a padded envelope in the mail.

Elfa charges you VAT when you make the purchase, so you don't need to worry about customs, including when they ship items from their Dutch warehouse to you.
-------
Tore

adrm

Postby adrm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:42 pm

adrm wrote:
paulb wrote:
adrm wrote: If Elfa also manages to do this, I'd be interested in buying stuff from them again, although I probably have too much stuff to play with already. :wink:

Elfa charges you VAT when you make the purchase, so you don't need to worry about customs, including when they ship items from their Dutch warehouse to you.

Btw, if you just need a few general odds and ends, Kjell & Company can be useful, as well. Especially if you live in, or around, Oslo.
-------
Tore

paulb

Postby paulb » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 pm

adrm wrote:Btw, if you just need a few general odds and ends, Kjell & Company can be useful, as well. Especially if you live in, or around, Oslo.

Yes, it's great that Kjell & Company came to town, filling the gap that Clas Ohlson managed to leave open in the last few years. Their prices really aren't that bad for last-minute purchases, either. Stuff like this or this (see this article for the crazy details).

adrm

Postby adrm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:07 pm

paulb wrote:
adrm wrote:(see this article for the crazy details).

Interesting article there, Paul.
So much to study, so little time :D
-------
Tore

adrm

Postby adrm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:57 pm

I can report success.

Replacing IC32 (the 74LS259) solved the two reported problems.
I have seen this particular IC mentioned in other people's problem solving reports, although they did not have the exact same issues I had.

It seems worth checking this one, along with IC3, whenever people are having problems with the keyboard not working and/or constant beeping from the speaker.

I think I spent almost an hour trying to remove the old IC, and I can tell you it was the least fun time I've had in a good while.
In the end, I had to cut the legs off, but even then it took a good while to get things sorted out. And that was with a decent, electrical desoldering pump and solder wick. Towards the end I was really worried about damaging tracks, but they checked out fine, luckily.

I'll spend a bit of time trying to determine if there are other issues still present, that are not obvious at this point.

FYI, Is used the 74HC259 as a replacement, and it seems to work fine.
-------
Tore

adrm

Postby adrm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Paul.

About using Elfa.
I ordered some spares this weekend, total value was apx. GPB 27,- + shipping apx. GBP 5,50

They ship using DHL, directly to my door!
This seems to be a matter of routine from them (it happened on my first order, as well), so I'm very happy.

Everything separately packaged in anti-static materials and neatly labeled.
Quite the contrast from a lot of Chinese and Eastern Europe eBay sellers who believe plastic, styrofoam and tin foil is great for sending ICs :evil:
-------
Tore

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:23 pm

@adrm good to hear that you have got it working :D Well done =D>

I thought a 74HC259 would work as a replacement, but had to point out the differences just in case it didn't :mrgreen:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

adrm

Postby adrm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Thank you very much, to everyone who contributed with thoughts and suggestions.

Me, I loved this troubleshooting.
I tend to watch troubleshooting videos on YouTube when I find them, whatever is being investigated.
-------
Tore

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:42 pm

adrm wrote:I can report success.

Replacing IC32 (the 74LS259) solved the two reported problems.
I have seen this particular IC mentioned in other people's problem solving reports, although they did not have the exact same issues I had.

I guess you're referring to my post here, as it sounds very similar to the issue I had with my Issue 7 board that was fixed by replacing IC32?
Either way, glad you got it sorted.

adrm

Postby adrm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 pm

KenLowe wrote:I guess you're referring to my post here, as it sounds very similar to the issue I had with my Issue 7 board that was fixed by replacing IC32?
Either way, glad you got it sorted.

Yes, and additionally I have found references to faulty IC32s on some compilation documents I have found on the net. Symptoms weren't quite close enough for me to start looking at IC32 immediately, though.
We live and we learn :D
-------
Tore

Return to “hardware”