Domesday pre-release laserdiscs found

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
simoni

Domesday pre-release laserdiscs found

Postby simoni » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:18 am

Thanks to a donation of some laserdiscs from our own Dave Moore, I received some curious laserdiscs that were thought to be non-working copies of the AIV Domesday set. These have turned out to be 'test pressing' discs from the Domesday content development (and pre-date the release of the official discs by about 7 months). The discs are quite degraded, but most of the content is readable.

I'll be documenting the contents as time permits, but preliminary information is available here:

http://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=778

There are pictures of the physical discs included (as well as a YouTube video). There is some interesting content including a 'draft' version of the introduction titles that is very different from the release (and features a different Philips player).

This does beg the question; "are there any more?". These discs are test pressing 4 of the Community and 6 of the National. If anyone has seen anything similar to these please get in touch!

/Simon

Domesday TP04A Community South 20-05-96.jpg

BeebMaster

Re: Domesday pre-release laserdiscs found

Postby BeebMaster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Very interesting. I suppose it stands to reason that there was a test version, or at least an earlier version before the main release because in the first instance software and hardware actually got tested in those days before being dumped on the general public!!!! and they would have needed a working Domesday System of sorts to record the help video which went on the discs.

There's a bit of a clue to this in the help video itself actually as noted here where the captions on the Domesday Gallery plan change between the help video version and the actual plan on the disc.

Possibly the UK level maps weren't ready at the time looking at the early version on the test disc, these level maps were specially prepared for the Domesday Project.

I quite like the earlier introductory sequence although it wouldn't have been useable for the real thing as it shows the earlier form of LV player used before the VP415 was introduced. I've no idea what the keep-fit video was all about!

What is the latest event on National Disc side B? The Commonwealth Games in July 1986 is the latest on the actual National Disc, but the date of the Community test disc is prior to this.

simoni

Re: Domesday pre-release laserdiscs found

Postby simoni » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:18 am

It looks like the National Disc test pressing is a complete working copy of the release version. There may be some variations, but it will be difficult to spot without a much more careful examination. The Images of the 80s video has all of the same news articles as the release and must therefore be a later copy than the community disc (the disc itself isn't dated, it only states TP06).

I'm guessing the most interesting disc is therefore the community test pressing; it will take some effort to catalogue though, but I will work through it eventually :)

Return to “hardware”