Palettemate / enhanced video ULA with 4096 colours

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
BBCB+64K

Re: Palettemate / enhanced video ULA with 4096 colours

Postby BBCB+64K » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi all,

This evening my Brother had a go at desoldering the original Video ULA in my B+128k, but the solder is not melting very quickly. I'm guessing I need something like this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEP-2-in-1-So ... 2508285413

At the moment I have one of these... https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-50w-m ... tion-n78ar

The solder seems to start to melt but goes hard quickly when my Brother tries to suck it up with a desoldering pump. Is there a better way to get the solder to melt easier?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve
My current setup...

BBC B+ 128k with external DataCentre with 2GB CF Card, 64MB ARM7TDMI Co-Processor and BeebOPL.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:42 pm

I recently got an SS-02 silicon tip desolder pump (about £18 on eBay). It is significantly better than a normal desolder pump - the tip is heat resistant so you can hold it on the solder point at the same time as the soldering iron so the solder does not have time to solidify before it is removed.

Check out this video on YouTube about it

https://youtu.be/76gyKWRI7dY

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 pm

I got mine off with a Aoyue solder iron and Chem-Wik rosin solder braid. I do have a desolder station and a hotair gun but find the former iron/braid combination much easier.

Others will probably have different opinions/ideas.

Edit: Yes decent kit makes life much easier which ever method you use.

RobC

Postby RobC » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Try applying a little new solder to the joints - it might sound crazy but it can help to get the old solder to melt.

The silicon tipped pumps work really well.

(If all else fails, I'm happy to do the removal for free if you want to post the board to me.)

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:25 pm

The size and type of soldering iron tip is also important. Forget the pointed tip that often gets supplied with most irons (well unless you want to poke yourself in the eye!). What is better, is a larger tip (more metal, means longer period of heat to flow to the joint) with a flat, so called chisel tips. For example, I often use a chisel tip with a size of 2.3mm.

The iron should be set so that it quickly melts the solder in less than 3 seconds, as soon as the whole joint has melted, then is the time to use a solder pump/sucker or desolder braid/wick. As Rob says, either apply some new solder (the flux in it helps), or use a flux pen. The cleaner the joint is, the easer it is to desolder.

Plated through double sided (or multilayer) boards are a lot harder to desolder. As are pads connected to wide power rail tracks or ground planes.

I recently got one of these to play with:
Yihua 8786D.JPG
Yihua 8786D soldering station

But when I want an iron that can really work on large pads, or I need consistent heat, I still use my Antex TCS iron :-)

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Don't forget cheap solder braid is generally rubbish as often has no or low flux in it. So either need decent stuff or bottle/pen flux. I got caught when I first start using braid thinking it was useless, but it was just rubbish braid. Use Chem wick now

dominicbeesley

Postby dominicbeesley » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:43 pm

+1 loading up with new solder. After a few decades the solder goes hard (coper/tin migration, I forget which way). Some new lead solder is the trick. Lead free will make things more difficult.

Leaded solder is still legal (for repairs) and easily found from most suppliers though its becoming rarer. Worth getting a reel now!

D

BBCB+64K

Postby BBCB+64K » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for the help guys :) I've ordered the SS-02 silicone pump since the one I have is only a cheapie one. I do have a reel of solder with flux rosin core, so maybe applying a little bit of that would help?

And yes having good quality tools makes the job easier, just wish I was able to do this myself!

@Rob, I might take you up on that depending on how my Brother gets on.

Steve
My current setup...

BBC B+ 128k with external DataCentre with 2GB CF Card, 64MB ARM7TDMI Co-Processor and BeebOPL.

CharlesMouse

Postby CharlesMouse » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:48 pm

I was most excited to receive my very own VideoNuLA this weekend, a lovely bit of kit, and my sincere thanks to Rob (and others) for producing this fantastic upgrade.
It was a bit of luck to discover my ULA is socketed - my Beeb has had a fair few upgrades, and as is the way of these things mods = greater difficulty freeing the motherboard for further soldering.

/Edit
Piccies removed as I would hate for someone to follow my mistake
\Edit

...I intend to go and enjoy a heavy testing session. :D
Last edited by CharlesMouse on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie.

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? The Qube RiscOS Server

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Well. Pimped :)

d.

RobC

Postby RobC » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:57 pm

CharlesMouse wrote:I was most excited to receive my very own VideoNuLA this weekend, a lovely bit of kit, and my sincere thanks to Rob (and others) for producing this fantastic upgrade.
It was a bit of luck to discover my ULA is socketed - my Beeb has had a fair few upgrades, and as is the way of these things mods = greater difficulty freeing the motherboard for further soldering.

Sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs but which type of model B is that? Have you confirmed that it is working? If not, double check that you've got the correct location. (I can't access the high resolution picture on Amibay to confirm for myself).

On some Beebs, the VideoULA has a heatsink.

Best wishes,

Rob

CharlesMouse

Postby CharlesMouse » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Well I'm a total doofus! :oops:

Thanks Rob, I was just about to go fire up my Beeb when I saw your reply. In my excitement I commited the cardinal sin of not checking what I was doing:
"There's an IC of the correct size marked ULA"... Pull IC and in with the board. "Ooo, that's a well engineered fit", I thought.

Yes, I tried to replace the Serial ULA with your VideoNuLA! Sadly, even with good instructions, you just can't get away from dummies! My VideoULA is one of the later VLSI types.

Thanks for being so polite in correcting me. I shall now go flip the power switch in the knowledge that there won't be an escape of magic smoke.
Charlie.

RobC

Postby RobC » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Glad that no harm was done :)

I'll add something to the manual to make it clear that it shouldn't be fitted in place of SERPROC.

CharlesMouse

Postby CharlesMouse » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:27 pm

:lol: Glad to be of help.

Oh, by the way I'm not a doofus. I'm a three star general of the grand doofus brigade!

Having thanked my maker that I hadn't flipped the power switch I thought I'd follow my own advice and do it properly; so I pulled the extra ROMs I have, disconnected the upgrades, and removed my Integra-B... Let's start with a fairly standard system to minimise potential hiccups before adding things back in one at a time.

Beeeee... No life.

Oh blast, I've already broken it!

...Um, no. I forgot about the Pi Zero plugged in to the Tube socket - I'd robbed the SD card for another project so the Beeb wasn't too happy about being attached to a lobotomised Pi.

Pi pulled and all is fine, phew!

I think I'd better have a long lay down before I do anything else.
Charlie.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Note that users that aren't on Amibay (or who are not logged in) won't be able to see pictures hosted on Amibay...

You could include the pictures as attachments on this forum instead :wink:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

trixster

Postby trixster » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Blimey! I'm glad you didn't turn it on! I was just catching up on the thread and was puzzling over the pcture thinking 'I'm sure my ula wasn't located there, what type of Beeb is that?'.

(What would happen if you had turned it on?!)
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD

marcusjambler

Postby marcusjambler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi Rob

Just set mine up on an Issue 7 Beeb.
Quality work =D>
Hardware, software and documentation spot on.

Strykers Run looking the way it always should have.

Marcus

RobC

Postby RobC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:45 am

marcusjambler wrote:Just set mine up on an Issue 7 Beeb.Quality work Hardware, software and documentation spot on.Strykers Run looking the way it always should have.

Thanks Marcus.

After viewing Simon's demo images from the other thread, I'd love to see a 16-colour version of Stryker's Run!

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:27 am

Hi Rob, is it still possible to order a board?

Only thing is I'm in Oz so we'd need to work out international shipping etc.

Please PM if still available and shipping OS is not an issue.

RobC

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:44 am

FourthStone wrote:Hi Rob, is it still possible to order a board?

I'm in the process of getting together the parts to make another batch. I'll probably put up an "offered" thread rather than contacting people individually.

I can get a postage quote for Australia.

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 pm

I'd also be interested in getting hold of a board when they come available. I've been quietly following the thread and it's impressive work =D> =D>

Paul

RobC

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks Paul.

I should have a batch of 10 ready before the end of the month.

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Count me in too for one.

Thanks

Stewie66

Postby Stewie66 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 pm

RobC wrote:
FourthStone wrote:Hi Rob, is it still possible to order a board?

I'm in the process of getting together the parts to make another batch. I'll probably put up an "offered" thread rather than contacting people individually.

I can get a postage quote for Australia.

I’m interested as well, also in Australia

Cheers Stewie

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Received my VideoNuLa today, but have a question before installing it in my Beeb. From the BeebWiki (http://beebwiki.mdfs.net/Video_ULA):

The original IC was fabricated by Ferranti as an Uncommitted Logic Array (ULA), permanently mask-programmed to Acorn's specification; part number ULA 5C094. Later, Acorn second-sourced the chip from VLSI Technologies, Inc.; this was a different design, more correctly known as the VIDPROC (Video Processor). The first revision was part number VC 2023/201647, which needed a patch wire to be soldered on the motherboard; the second revision, VC 2069/201647, was functionally and physically compatible with the video ULA.

and here (http://lists.cloud9.co.uk/pipermail/bbc ... 01906.html):

It was supposed to be a drop-in replacement, but the early ones (VC2023) had a problem in that they didn't correctly switch settings between
teletext and non-teletext modes. To fix that, you had to remove a jumper (S26) and solder a small wire between the VidProc pin 27 (=centre
of S26) and one of the select lines for the memory buffers (IC10 pin 1, which is the inverted TTX teletext signal). The official fix put that wire under the board, which caused some headscratching when people who didn't know that swapped one VidProc for another (or for a ULA).

My VidProc is one of the ones that has the patch wire soldered between the centre pin of S26, and pin 1 of IC10 (there's no jumpers on S26).

Do I need to remove this modification? Will it do any damage, leaving it as it is? It doesn't actually look like VidProc pin 27 is being used on the NuLa. Is that correct?

Edit: Took the plunge, and installed VideoNULA, leaving the wire link in place. It seems to work fine like that, but not had much chance to play around with it yet. Running out of space to add any more upgrades to my BBC :)

RobC

Postby RobC » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the late reply but I've been busy all afternoon so have only just seen this...

I was vaguely aware of this issue and I think tricky mentioned it somewhere in this thread. So, to keep things simple, VideoNuLA ignores the ~INVERT signal on pin 27 (and this also meant that I could get by with 16 level shifters). Therefore, VideoNuLA should function correctly with or without the wire fitted.

I'll add something to the manual to cover this.

For those who want it, the S26/invert functionality is replicated by JP1 on the VideoNuLA board. The jumper is not fitted as standard but the display is inverted when the link is made.

Best wishes,

Rob

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:43 am

RobC wrote:I was vaguely aware of this issue and I think tricky mentioned it somewhere in this thread. So, to keep things simple, VideoNuLA ignores the ~INVERT signal on pin 27 (and this also meant that I could get by with 16 level shifters). Therefore, VideoNuLA should function correctly with or without the wire fitted.

Sorry. I missed the earlier discussion on this. You're right, VideoNuLA works fine with the wire fitted. Just for info, here's a photo of the VideoNuLA installed in my Beeb:

20170826_123909.jpg

Fortunately the old ULA was socketed so was easy to remove. I also had to use the extra socket to lift the VideoNuLA clear of some other components on the motherboard. Fortunately the IntegraB sits slightly higher, so the VideoNuLA tucks in nicely underneath. I also had to juggle some of the roms / GoSDC around to get everything fitting, but that was fairly straight forward. I've got the VideoNuLA ROM installed into a SWRAM bank. Not shown on the picture, but installed is my PiTubeDirect, MMFS, FDD & SCSI HDD. Not sure there's much more I can add. As I've mentioned previously, you can't have too many file systems!!!

RobC

Postby RobC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:52 am

Wow - that's an amazing Beeb! And you've even got the speech chips :D

TheCorfiot

Postby TheCorfiot » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Can I have 2 boards please Rob...

I do really need to come and see you my friend.

Regards
Bas :)

trixster

Postby trixster » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:45 pm

You'll love it Bas, it's a great piece of kit!
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD

Return to “hardware”