MMFS Development and Support

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
hoglet

Re: MMFS Development and Support

Postby hoglet » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 pm

KenLowe wrote:I'm running SWMMFS in one of my SWRAM banks and generally it works very well. However, I've noticed that immediately after a BREAK, the *FREE command doesn't work. If I do a *CAT first, it then works. Is this a problem with my setup, or can others replicate this?

What version are you running? I'll try to replicate this tomorrow.

Dave

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:08 pm

hoglet wrote:What version are you running? I'll try to replicate this tomorrow.

Sorry, should have mentioned that in my initial post. I'm running the model B, sideways ram version V1.36

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:12 am

KenLowe wrote:Sorry, should have mentioned that in my initial post. I'm running the model B, sideways ram version V1.36

Hmm, I've tried and haven't been able to replicate this.

Which probably just means there is some small but significant difference between your setup and mine.

Could you possibly post a screen shot or two showing what actually happens, starting from powering on the machine?

Could you also do a *HELP so I can see the ROMs you have?

Does *MAP give the same error?

Dave

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a bunch of other ROMs installed, so I disabled all the non essentials, and MMFS started working fine. I was then able to narrow it down to Master ROM (Beebug) which I have temporarily installed in one of the sockets. It turns out this ROM also processes the FREE and MAP commands. The Master ROM was higher priority than SWMMFS, so I guess the FREE and MAP commands were being grabbed by the Master ROM and never getting to MMFS.

Although less relevant now, to answer your other questions - with Master ROM installed and enabled, *FREE causes the machine to hang and *MAP causes the machine to continuously print the free map after power up / reboot, unless I do a *CAT first. It looks like the Master ROM can process the FREE and MAP commands, as long as the drive catalogue has previously been loaded to RAM.

mlouka

Postby mlouka » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:11 pm

MMFS works great on my Master 128 with TurboMMC hardware, and Tube Elite runs as expected using an internal 2nd processor (PiTubeDirect, so emulated 6502). So, a couple of days ago I burnt the BBC Model B variant of MMFS to replace the TurboMMC ROM in my Beeb. It seems to work just as well as the Master variant except for one thing -- it won't run Tube Elite. Loading the game hangs after displaying the loading screen (with the Saturn-like planet). I am using a real 6502 2nd processor (although not Acorn's) in this case. If I swap MMFS back out with TurboMMC then Tube Elite runs fine so this appears to be related to the Beeb variant of MMFS rather than an issue with the disk image or the second processor itself. At the moment there are no expansion boards installed in the beeb -- just MMFS, HIBASIC and the "BOS" ROM required by the PMS B2P-6502 2nd processor (in addition the usual OS 1.2 and BASIC ROMs, of course). I took the DFS ROM out in order to test HIBASIC with the 2nd processor. Both Master and Beeb copies of MMFS are the 1.36 release variants for TurboMMC hardware. Unfortunately, although I have an external PiTubeDirect, I don't have a suitable cable for it on hand so cannot test to see if that works (implying a conflict with MMFS and the BOS ROM). I also don't have a non-TurboMMC card reader yet so cannot check if this is only an issue with the "MMFS for Model B with TurboMMC" hardware variant (since the Master variant for the same hardware works).
BBC Master 128, BBC Model B i7, Watford Electronics Solderless Sideways ROM board, PMS B2P-6502 2nd proc., PiTubeDirect (internal in Master, external for Beeb), RetroClinic Multi-OS Selector, Sundby 256k RAM/ROM card, MMFS, Cumana disc drives ....

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:48 pm

This is a bit weird, as Tube Elite is my most used test program!

Can you post the .ssd image of Tube Elite that you are actually using.

mlouka

Postby mlouka » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 pm

hoglet wrote:This is a bit weird, as Tube Elite is my most used test program!

Can you post the .ssd image of Tube Elite that you are actually using.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I could but it is jut the DIN45 one in the typical beeb.mmb installs. I have tried the one that came on the MMC card with TurboMMC as well as then Higgy posted on stardom a few months ago on SD card, which appear to be based on the same image from STH.

I've done a bit more testing, to compare what happens when loading other games with the second processor enabled using the TurboMMC ROM and the MMFS ROM and I think I can confirm that this is related to the combination of the MMFS and the second processor -- presumably because this particular processor is a little unconventional in how it works with the TUBE in that it does some stuff in software (hence the need for the BOS ROM) that would normally have been done in hardware (this processor was a relatively cheap alternative to Acorn's). If I turn off the processor off (with the BOS ROM still installed, as the ROM enables the processor to be turned on and off via commands on the ROM) then MMFS works fine so this only appears to be a problem when the second processor is operating. With other games I typically just got junk on the screen when loading with MMFS and the 2nd processor on so it is weird that Tube Elite actually displays a correct loading screen. Not a big deal for me since the PiTubeDirect is faster so I will mostly use that in future with the Beeb (and I guess that that will work fine with MMFS), but still curious that TurboMMC works correctly so MMFS might be assuming something about the TUBE incorrectly? I don't think I'll have time this evening but will give SmartSPI a go too and see how that goes since that would be better than TurboMMC if it works, and if it doesn't work then that might be interesting too...
BBC Master 128, BBC Model B i7, Watford Electronics Solderless Sideways ROM board, PMS B2P-6502 2nd proc., PiTubeDirect (internal in Master, external for Beeb), RetroClinic Multi-OS Selector, Sundby 256k RAM/ROM card, MMFS, Cumana disc drives ....

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Does this second processor connect to the Beeb's Tube connector, or to some other port? Does it have a Tube chip in it? It sounds like it doesn't.

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Is this the second processor?
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... S_B2P.html

Is yours also running at just 2MHz?

I wonder if that's the issue.. When the filesystem transfers data over the tube, timing is done by dead reckoning. The spec says no faster than 10us per byte. I recently fixed an issue where MMFS was going a tad faster than this. This didn't seem to be causing a problem. But it's possible that's what is happening here, with your system running more slowly.

The fix was this:
https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/commit ... ef804a7277

It's included in 1.38 and 1.39. Neither of these have been published yet.

So let me add a build of 1.39 to github and you can see if that helps.

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlouka

Postby mlouka » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes, that is correct.

Will certainly try 1.39 when you make it available.

Thanks,
MIchael.

hoglet wrote:Is this the second processor?
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... S_B2P.html

Is yours also running at just 2MHz?

I wonder if that's the issue.. When the filesystem transfers data over the tube, timing is done by dead reckoning. The spec says no faster than 10us per byte. I recently fixed an issue where MMFS was going a tad faster than this. This didn't seem to be causing a problem. But it's possible that's what is happening here, with your system running more slowly.

The fix was this:
https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/commit ... ef804a7277

It's included in 1.37, 1.38 and 1.39. None of these have been published yet.

So let me add a build of 1.39 to github and you can see if that helps.

Dave

mlouka

Postby mlouka » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 pm

BigEd wrote:Does this second processor connect to the Beeb's Tube connector, or to some other port? Does it have a Tube chip in it? It sounds like it doesn't.

Tube, but it doesn't have the Tube chip in it -- emulates it in software.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 pm

^Tube code already in the MMFS rom/s 8)

mine works fine, but I use the MatchBox Pro (all mHz speeds), in a beeb (the M128s are only good for electron keyswitches!)
& the 33p MMC card interface.

also, try using this .SSD Elite Executive version in your beeb.mmc file, linky below:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8325&p=99929&hilit=elite+executive#p99929
ImageImageImage

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 pm

mlouka wrote:Will certainly try 1.39 when you make it available.

Here you go...
https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/releases

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 pm

mlouka wrote:
BigEd wrote:Does this second processor connect to the Beeb's Tube connector, or to some other port? Does it have a Tube chip in it? It sounds like it doesn't.

Oooh, you have a B2P! Would you be able to dump the BOS ROM and post in my request post at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13555 ?
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

mlouka

Postby mlouka » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Brilliant! It worked !!!

Thanks,
Michael.

hoglet wrote:
mlouka wrote:Will certainly try 1.39 when you make it available.

Here you go...
https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/releases

mlouka

Postby mlouka » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Will do.

Michael.

Pernod wrote:
mlouka wrote:

Oooh, you have a B2P! Would you be able to dump the BOS ROM and post in my request post at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13555 ?

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 pm

mlouka wrote:Brilliant! It worked !!!

Thanks,
Michael.

Excellent.... (and Phew!)

Dave

Return to “hardware”