Proper Econet Error Messages

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

BeebMaster

Proper Econet Error Messages

Postby BeebMaster » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Today I did a great service to all Econet lovers using 32-bit machines by replacing this twaddle
February2015b388.jpg

February2015b395.jpg

with this sanity
February2015b356.jpg

February2015b409.jpg

It's something I've wanted to be able to do for quite a few years, and I was given the idea earlier on when looking at the source code for the Econet Module Podule module. If I knew how to compile or assemble the source code I could have replaced the file location of the Messages file to do it officially, but instead I had to resort to a bodge by overtyping the location in the actual module with the full pathname of an edited Messages file I made - attached here as EconetMsgs:
EconetMsgs.zip
(655 Bytes) Downloaded 57 times

The next bit was more tricky, because the Who are you? error, as it should be, isn't in the Econet module. I looked at all the Messages files for other network modules and found that the error was in the NetFS Messages. The next challenge was getting the NetFS module as a file that I could edit. I couldn't find it online, probably because it's illegal to own any RISC-OS software that wasn't programmed into a ROM in 1988, so I had to extract it from ROM using *SAVE. I didn't know that was possible, and it was only after reading a page on how you have to *SAVE the ROMs to be allowed to use them in an emulator that I figured it out.

Then I modified NetFS messages and edited NetFS to point to the new messages file:
NetFSMsgs.zip
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

I edited the modules by opening them in !Edit and using overtype mode to overtype the pathname of the Resources: location of the Messages file, in my case it was ADFS::HardDisc4.$.ISW.NetMsgs or NetFSMsgs, padding out the remaining bytes from the old location with spaces so that the file length didn't change.

I'm sure there's a better, more official way of doing it, but it worked for me and now I have Econet in a Podule on my RISC PC with original early 1980s error messages!

jgharston

Re: Proper Econet Error Messages

Postby jgharston » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:31 am

BeebMaster wrote:... so I had to extract it from ROM using *SAVE.
There's a useful utility called RMSave that does what it says on the tin. I can't remember where it is on my site(*), but a web search for "RISC OS RMSave" will give plenty of links to where you can get it.

(*) Ah ha! ARMLib at http://mdfs.net/Apps/Networking

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:25 am

I suppose that is progress in the Archimedes world! :lol:

How about a nice cup of tea?
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:39 am

(Not that I'm in any position to talk...)

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm not sure what that is, it certainly doesn't look like a nice cup of tea.

Is it a level from RISC-PC Lemmings that I haven't reached yet?

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:40 am

So I can do it officially, can anybody tell me how I can compile the source code for the replacement Econet module which is used with the Econet Module Podule? I can then point it to the new messages file in the source code and compile it or assemble it or whatever you have to do to make it into module code, instead of overtyping the actual module code.

And maybe there's source code for NetFS as well so I can do the same with that? Or is the source code sealed in the time capsule buried in the Blue Peter garden not to be seen till 2150?

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:37 pm

BeebMaster wrote:So I can do it officially, can anybody tell me how I can compile the source code for the replacement Econet module which is used with the Econet Module Podule?
It's written in ARM assembler, so you don't compile it, you assemble it. The source is in the RISC OS source tarball at RISC OS Open. The networking modules are in castle/RiscOS/Sources/Networking.

Why do you need to modify the code? What's wrong with pointing to the new messages file on startup? In the startup sequence you *AddAppFS a file replacing Apps:$.Resources.NetFS.Messages with your own messages file.

$ bbcbasic
>_

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Ah, well, like many things 32-bit, I didn't know that was possible! I'll try that next.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:20 pm

BeebMaster wrote:Ah, well, like many things 32-bit, I didn't know that was possible! I'll try that next.
I'm away from my machine at the moment, but when I get back I'll post an example of replacing messages files in AppFS (unless somebody gets in before me).

$ bbcbasic
>_

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:18 pm

Yes please! I did try it, but my RISC PC doesn't have *ADDAPPFS just *ADDAPP which didn't seem to do what I wanted (if anything).

Return to “software”