RISC iX - Cloned!

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

DutchAcorn

Re: RISC iX - Cloned!

Postby DutchAcorn » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:49 am

I figured this was fun to have a go at during the holidays. So I

-harvested an old PCI SCSI card from a dead Powermac G4
    -Installed Ubuntu Linux on my desktop PC (did not have that there yet) :oops:
    -Successfully wrote the image to an old 500MB SCSI drive
    -Managed to mount the ADFS as well as the UFS partitions in Ubuntu
    -Installed the drive in my A310 (RO3, 4MB, ARM3)
    -Updated the RISCiX from the archive file
    -Started RISCiX
    -Made the config options

The result is this:
IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

The branch through zero error only comes after setting the device to sd0. The only way to get the RISCiX module started after this is by resetting the CMOS.

I do not have an Acorn SCSI podule, I use a Morley Electronics one. Perhaps that is the problem. The format utility for the Morley Electronics SCSI card does offer the option of creating RISCiX partitions, which suggests that it is supported.

Any suggestions to get this one step further? It has been a lot of fun so far but :D

Paul
Paul

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:03 pm

TomWalker wrote:Though either there's a SCSI bug or I've corrupted the image somehow :

riscix2.png

Hi Tom, I just installed riscix on an a440 (4MB, arm3, memc1a) today and had the same issue you're seeing here. I'm pretty sure the image is good.

One theory I had was y2k compatibility, This is the first machine I tested where I'd set the date to the current time. Perhaps you could try a fresh image off the website and see what it does with a date in the 90's (assuming arculator was using the correct date)?

dangardner

Postby dangardner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:22 am

DutchAcorn wrote:Any suggestions to get this one step further? It has been a lot of fun so far but :D
What happens if you drop to the CLI and run this?

Code: Select all

*filer_opendir Riscixfs:$
Also see if you can boot into RISC iX using *BOOT. I discovered the *filer_opendir at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/c ... TjxS_jy5MJ which also has some interesting background information on RISCiXFS.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:21 pm

dangardner wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote:Any suggestions to get this one step further? It has been a lot of fun so far but :D
What happens if you drop to the CLI and run this?

*filer_opendir Riscixfs:$

If I have not configured Device to sd0 *RMLoad RISCiXFS responds with:
RISCiXFS: failed to mount ROOT filesystem
*filer_opendir Riscixfs:$ does not do anything.

dangardner wrote:Also see if you can boot into RISC iX using *BOOT. I discovered the *filer_opendir at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/c ... TjxS_jy5MJ which also has some interesting background information on RISCiXFS.

*boot responds with "Failed to open object". Which is to be expected as it does not mount the filesystem.

If I set device to sd4 RMLoad RISCiXFS responds with "Could not read ADFS boot block (drive shape)"

Setting device to sd0, sd1 or sd3 results in a brach through zero error when RMLoading RISCiXFS.

I guess the Morley SCSI card is really not supported. The documentation is also quite specific about the Acorn SCSI card. Still strange that it is possible to format a RISCiX partition using the Morley SCSI formatter. Can't find any reference to RISCiX in the Morley SCSI card user guide...

Paul
Paul

dangardner

Postby dangardner » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:57 pm

TomWalker wrote:Progress!

Hi Tom - I'd hate to miss this opportunity to get RISC iX running in some form, even if my ARM3 A410/1 isn't cooperative and there are never any machines on Fleabay when needed.

Please could you share the binaries and source you used to get Arculator to boot RISC iX to this point?

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:28 am

Sources are at http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/hg/arculator. I'd rather not make binaries available at this point, seeing as the rest of the emulator is a bit unstable at the moment.

dangardner

Postby dangardner » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks Tom! I've spent the evening banging my head against many different versions and builds of MinGW, Allegro, OpenAL etc. and I'm admitting defeat for now. Please could you let us know what versions you use?

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Not sure which version of MingW, but it's GCC 4.7.2, Allegro 4.4, and 'OpenAL-0.099-mingw' if you can track that down. What particular issues are you having?

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Also once you've got it built you'll need a SCSI podule ROM. I've attached the one from my own AKA31.
Attachments
scsirom.zip
(22.44 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

dangardner

Postby dangardner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks very much Tom, knowing those versions helped a lot. It took me a little while but I got it to build using the following steps (in case anybody else wants to have a go):

1. Unpack the following to C:\MinGW (.DevPak files can be opened by 7-Zip):

https://mingw-lib.googlecode.com/files/ ... 7-as-is.7z
http://cdn.allegro.cc/file/library/alle ... -4.5.2.zip
http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/pr ... dev.tar.gz
http://optimate.dl.sourceforge.net/proj ... ngw.DevPak (only unpack the include and lib directories)

2. Rename the following files in C:\MinGW\lib:
ALc.a -> libALc.a
ALu.a -> libALu.a
ALut.a -> libALut.a

3. Unpack the Arculator source from http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/hg/arcul ... ve/tip.zip

4. Edit src\Makefile.mingw in the extracted source to replace "-lalleg44.dll" with "-lallegro-4.4.2-md"

dangardner

Postby dangardner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Next problem :-)

I have:

1. Built the aka31.dll and dropped that and the scsirom file into the podules directory.
2. Copied the riscix.hdf file to scsihd4.hdf in the same directory as Arculator.exe.
3. Configured one SCSI disk (*CO. SCSIFSDISCS 1).

When I reboot, the desktop shows an "<unnamed>" SCSI disk which doesn't seem to have valid data on it. Do I need to munge riscix.hdf in some way to make it work?

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:24 am

No, scsihd4.hdf needs to go into the podules directory. I should probably make a user interface to make this a bit easier...

dangardner

Postby dangardner » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:04 pm

This is what I get now. At least the kernel is booting, which is more than my real hardware did. I noticed that yours found the swap and root filesystem so I guess I need to start digging into the aka31 code to see if I can find the cause of the lost IRQs.

On a (slightly) related note, does anybody have an unused ARM2 left over from an ARM3 upgrade that they would be willing to part with? I suspect my Watford ARM3 may be the cause of the RISC iX issues on my real hardware.
Attachments
arculator-riscix1.png

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 pm

I've seen an intermittent issue caused by the disc change IRQ - in ioc_updateirqs() in ioc.c, try commenting out the code that sets/resets IOC_IRQB_DISC_CHANGED. Obviously this will stop floppy discs from working correctly.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:57 pm

dangardner wrote:On a (slightly) related note, does anybody have an unused ARM2 left over from an ARM3 upgrade that they would be willing to part with? I suspect my Watford ARM3 may be the cause of the RISC iX issues on my real hardware.

Why would that be the case? The R260 ran ARM3 and RISCiX. Or is there something specific about the Watford upgrade?

Really interesting to read the progress here though.

I do intend to try RISCiX on my A540 eventually... but that will have to wait until after my university course final exams in March. :(

dangardner

Postby dangardner » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:35 am

steve3000 wrote:Why would that be the case? The R260 ran ARM3 and RISCiX. Or is there something specific about the Watford upgrade?

I don't know but it's the obvious thing that is different from "stock" hardware, so I thought I'd try that. I stripped out all the other podules, just leaving the AKA32. I can't think of anything else that might be causing the problems.

davidb

Postby davidb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:04 pm

I've bodged Arculator to work on Linux and can get the aka31 podule code to load the SCSI modules from ROM but, despite configuring SCSIFSDiscs to 1, I do not see the SCSI filer on the desktop. Running strace on the Arculator executable shows that it opens scsihd4.hdf but never seems to read from it.

Here's the output from *devices:

Device Type              Capacity    Vendor   Product          Revision
0      Direct-access      258 Mbytes Arculatr ArculatorSCSIHD     
7      Host                          ACORN    SCSI expansion   1.05

The SCSI modules:

84 018154D4 0180CF74  SCSILog
   85 018156C4 01818624  SCSIdriver
   86 01819424 0180CF54  SCSIFS
   87 0181F424 00000000  SCSIFiler

The settings reported by *status:

SCSIFSDirCache 16K
SCSIFSdiscs 1
SCSIFSDrive 4

Clearly, I have some more work to do. Any hints? :)

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:06 pm

flibble wrote:
TomWalker wrote:Though either there's a SCSI bug or I've corrupted the image somehow :

riscix2.png

Hi Tom, I just installed riscix on an a440 (4MB, arm3, memc1a) today and had the same issue you're seeing here. I'm pretty sure the image is good.

One theory I had was y2k compatibility, This is the first machine I tested where I'd set the date to the current time. Perhaps you could try a fresh image off the website and see what it does with a date in the 90's (assuming arculator was using the correct date)?

I've reimaged my HD with the image I had locally, and it's working! (ls, startx (though not a video mode I can display here)) The image I uploaded to the website had a different md5sum, so at some point in the chain I appear to have corrupted it, the image was possibly bad!

Please re-download the disc image off the website.

http://www.4corn.co.uk/cgi/download.php ... dimage.zip

I also ran with the date set back to 1991, in case there were any y2k issues, perhaps in the disc checking program that runs on startup?

I ran with the !RiscIX that's on the disc image, I did not need to update it to the newer one (even for RO3).

TomWalker: I think this will fix your issues, I was seeing the exact same programs working and not on my machine with the old hd image.

dangardner: This *might* fix your issue

Once I can figure out exactly what was causing the issues, I'll update the website to make sure it's correct.

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Missed off a commit from Arculator, the IRQ issue should be fixed now.

The new image is a mixed bag, !RiscIx now works, but there are some errors on startup that weren't there on the previous image :
riscix1.png

X also doesn't run correctly, though it's possible that's an emulator bug :
riscix2.png

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:31 pm

More RISC iX:

riscix3.png

riscix4.png

riscix5.png
Last edited by SarahWalker on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Ok, that's just weird, I'm wondering if there's something getting screwed up when I copy the disc image off the RPC with Access

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Ah, I see you didn't turn the clock back, can you try a fresh image with a 1991 date?

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:41 pm

No change I'm afraid.

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:40 pm

It took a couple of hours, but I've finally got an image on the website that matches the md5sum of the file on the RPC. (3 transfer protocols and 2 network cards later).

Please re-download the disc image off the website.

http://www.4corn.co.uk/cgi/download.php ... dimage.zip

I really hope this one works.

ps RISC OS's network stack is truly awful

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:18 am

riscix6.png

Not sure why the border colour keeps cycling though, it's a little distracting!

flibble

Postby flibble » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:15 am

:) :D :lol: =D>

paulv

Postby paulv » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Right, I don't have much time at the moment and I've run out of SCSI hard drives to try. One of my drives doesn't spin up, the other spins up but isn't recognised by the hardware at all.

If fact, with the SCSI HDD connected, the machine hangs before getting to the desktop. If I boot to supervisor, there's nothing much to see and certainly no SCSI drive listed :-/

Both drives I've tried are Seagate Barracuda 1GB affairs that came out of an original Compaq ProSignia 486 DX2 66 server that has long since gone the way of the tip.

So can anyone recommend a SCSI drive that I should be able to get up and running with the AKA32 and RISC iX?

Paul

davidb

Postby davidb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:21 pm

OK, here's where I'm at with this.

I started up Arculator with RISC OS 3 and with the podule ROM and disk image in the podules directory. So far so good.

In RISC OS, I used the !Configure application to add an SCSI drive and opened the drive from the icon bar filer. I loaded the RISCiXFS module from within the !RISCiX application - this complains about the drive shape:

Could not read ADFS boot block (drive shape)
st_close: drive not open
RISCiXFS: failed to mount ROOT filesystem

However, I can configure the device and reinitialise RISCiXFS with

configure device sd0
rmreinit riscixfs

Then I can boot with

scsi
boot

The attached screenshot is as far as it gets, at least in one of the attempts to boot.
Attachments
2015-01-19-RISC-iX-boot-panic.png
RISC iX boots in Arculator but panics soon after.
Last edited by davidb on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dangardner

Postby dangardner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Arculator is now happily booting the fixed RISC iX image for me. My real hardware still refuses to do anything with it so I'm very glad to have the emulated version. A huge thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far.

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Dan, can you write up exactly how you configured it so I can try to reproduce what you've done? For example, at the moment, I'm unsure which configuration of machine you're emulating.

Return to “software”