!Snapper

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

BeebMaster

!Snapper

Postby BeebMaster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:48 am

I've just downloaded Snapper to take screenshots from the RISC PC. It's nice because you can save them in Sprite, Draw, PNG or JPEG format, all of which are preferable to recording the screen output to a DVD and processing it, which is the current method.

Also I can save direct to my NFS share and use a keyboard shortcut to do the capture.

However there are a few problems, I wonder if anyone else has encountered these or if trying to use the latest version (1.31) on RISC OS 3.70 is too ambitious. I couldn't find a download for an earlier version.

No matter what default file format I set, it always starts up saving as a Sprite file, even if it lists a different format. You have to change the file format to what you want (even if this involves selecting the same as it already said) and then it will work using the control box. However using the keyboard short cut with the control box closed reverts to Sprite. If the control box is open then the shortcut works correctly. For the time being I've hidden the minimised control box behind another window but I'd rather it works straight off.

I can contact the author, but just checking if this might be a known bug (1.31 change log says PNG save fixed but that may refer to some other problem) before I do.

ajw99uk

Re: !Snapper

Postby ajw99uk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 am

BeebMaster wrote:However there are a few problems, I wonder if anyone else has encountered these or if trying to use the latest version (1.31) on RISC OS 3.70 is too ambitious. I couldn't find a download for an earlier version.

1.24 is in the ROOL Harddisc4 for 5.22. Under RPCemu, it behaves as you described for 1.31 on 3.70.
Saved choices do show up in the config file under !Boot.Choices.CJohnson but it seems the app is not reading from that location so applies default values.
Possibly it assumes a 4.xx boot structure, but Choices$Write should cope with the differences.

Certainly worth contacting Chris Johnson, with the problem and your use case (a quick fix may be to tweak the default values to suit it!)

Update: found 1.17 on my RiscPC. This version from 2012 saves config to !Snapper.Resources.config. None of the now usual checking for Choices$Write as a writable location, with internal config as fallback for when tbere is no !Boot.Choices folder.

Update2: on 4.39, saved settings are picked up from !Boot.Choices.Users.Single.CJohnson.Snapper.Config but it seems that !Boot.Choices.CJohnson.Snapper.Config is ignored under 3.70 and 5.22.
The choices path is not set in !Run. I wonder if using the expected path would do the trick in non-ROL !Boot.
Last edited by ajw99uk on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks for confirming. I've e-mailed him, we'll see what happens.

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:26 pm

I think it must be reading something, because it remembers my default location and saves in the right place, it's just the file type which is wrong.

ajw99uk

Postby ajw99uk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:59 pm

BeebMaster wrote:I think it must be reading something, because it remembers my default location and saves in the right place, it's just the file type which is wrong.

Ah - I'd not changed the path. That's an old option available in 1.17 whereas filetype is newer. Dunno if that's significant though.
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140

BeebMaster

Postby BeebMaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Chris Johnson replied, he has been very helpful. It seems that saving as a sprite will always happen if the control box is closed, no matter what user options are set. When the control box is open it invokes extra bits of the application which allow more functions to be used. If it's closed, such as when using a keyboard shortcut as I was finding, it can only save as a sprite.

Return to “software”