IDE Iomega Zip drive - RISC PC

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

Trapper

IDE Iomega Zip drive - RISC PC

Postby Trapper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 am

Hello,

Does anyone know if drivers were produced to access an IDE interfaced Iomega Zip 100 drive?

I've tried both the !Zip drivers than came with my parallel port device, and Partis' ZipFS (which I've bought!) but both only recognise parallel port devices.

I'm sure I've seen a fully loaded RISC PC on eBay a while back where the second slice had one of these installed.

Thanks,

steve3000

Re: IDE Iomega Zip drive - RISC PC

Postby steve3000 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:07 pm

I've seen internal ZIP drives on the RiscPC using 3rd party IDE cards, but I can't recall if I've ever seen a ZIP drive connected using the Acorn IDE interface.

If you've purchased !ZipFS from Partis - try contacting them(/him) as the website seems to still be active here: http://www.partis.org/acorn/main.php?si ... 4s9odl8gv4

So hopefully this will lead to a quick yes or no as to whether it's possible?

ajw99uk

Postby ajw99uk » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:52 pm

According to this article http://www.apdl.org.uk/riscworld/volume ... /index.htm you need a Simtec or Unipod IDE interface.

Towards the bottom, talking about SparQ drives, DH mentioned capability in 4.39 to read DOS format cartridges, which makes me wonder if that'll work for other removable drives (Syquest 270s here) - sadly, though the wording is a bit ambiguous, I think it's a feature of the add-on driver rather than core OS but depending on something not present in core RISC OS before 4.39.
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140

riscosbits

Postby riscosbits » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:35 pm

I've got one connected to a RiscPC motherboard IDE using Partis' !PowerATAPI I think.

I nearly did the same as the OP and bought ZipFS, but when I was looking around, I discovered that it was !PowerATAPI that did what I needed.

I seem to remember I had to email Gary Partis directly to buy it though. There's a bit of information here: http://www.partis.org/shop/main.php?sub ... ems/atapi/

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:50 am

I was wondering exactly the same question on Friday...will an IDE ZIP work under RISCOS.

There's another recent thread on here where I believe we concluded the compatibility issues with IDE devices (SD adapters etc) is a software issue, I think someone even resolved it by simply loading a 3rd party Module. IIRC there was also some discussion about initially booting from floppy or burning the Module into a Podule, so you could boot from an SD card without purchasing a 3rd party IDE card.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 am

sirbod wrote:There's another recent thread on here where I believe we concluded the compatibility issues with IDE devices (SD adapters etc) is a software issue, I think someone even resolved it by simply loading a 3rd party Module. IIRC there was also some discussion about initially booting from floppy or burning the Module into a Podule, so you could boot from an SD card without purchasing a 3rd party IDE card.

Would that be the Wizzo IDEFS discussion? The pre-RiscPC onboard IDE interface (A5000 etc) suffers from issues with SD2IDE interfaces and CF card compatibility and at least some of this is due to ADFS. The Wizzo ROM helps by allowing much better compatibility with CF cards, it can be burnt on EPROM for A5000 and I created a boot disc to allow soft loading from floppy on the A4000/A3020.

It would be interesting to try an ide zip drive with Wizzo on the A5000... But Wizzo doesn't work with the RiscPC, so another solution is needed for the OP.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:12 pm

steve3000 wrote:But Wizzo doesn't work with the RiscPC, so another solution is needed for the OP.

Is the source available? It probably just needs the I/O redirecting to get working.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 pm

sirbod wrote:Is the source available? It probably just needs the I/O redirecting to get working.

Unfortunately no source. I started reverse engineering the Wizzo IDEFS module a few months back, but ran out of free time... I'm not sure if it would enable Zip discs on the standard Acorn interface though and it might need more than just redirecting the I/O on the RiscPC if you want to use hards discs >2Gb on the same interface (Wizzo is limited to 4 x 512mb partitions).

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:35 pm

First option is to see what it does different to IDEFS, modify the RISCOS source and recompile it.

Second option, assuming RO5 on IOMD does support SD/CF etc simply recompile it for 26bit. This may not be possible if it's reliant on the HAL

Third option is to compare what the RISCOS source does against the IDE spec and modify it.

Return to “software”