RISC OS Adjust: change registered user

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

markdryan

RISC OS Adjust: change registered user

Postby markdryan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi All,

I recently bought a second hand RiscPC with Riscos Adjust 4.39. The computer works fine but everytime it boots up it presents me someone else's name, presumably that of the previous owner. The name pops up twice. The first time it says something like

RISC OS Adjust 1i2
"Registered to ...".

Practically, this doesn't affect the usability of the machine, but I find it really irritating. It's my machine now! Does anyone now whether it's possible to change this and if so how?

paulv

Re: RISC OS Adjust: change registered user

Postby paulv » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:18 pm

You'll need to contact Aaron Timbrell at http://www.riscos.com/ as he's the one that (used to) sell RISC OS 4 and 6 with the RISC OS Adjust programme...

Paul

markdryan

Postby markdryan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:31 pm

Ok. Thanks for the info.

flibble

Postby flibble » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 pm

From memory, this information was burnt into the flash roms that ROL provided, as such it won't be changable easily (popping the ROMS out, reverse engineering the format, burning a new image with an eeprom programmer). I think you're stuck with it :)

Think I found a reference,

http://www.riscos.com/news/news_items/PR070799.htm

Trapper

Postby Trapper » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:46 am

flibble is bang on.

I bought my RISC OS 4.02 ROMs via a chap on eBay back in 2004, and at boot they are registered to his name and address. I did contact RISC OS Ltd at the time about exchanging for 4.02 with no owner or sending me new ROMs with my name on.

I was told to buy it at full retail price. They also didn't like the fact that I'd bought it on eBay direct from the original owner. This was back when RISC OS Ltd was releasing a new version of Select every year. This chap had swapped his 4.02 ROMs for 4.39 and made some money back. RISC OS Ltd were starting to sound quite forceful about whether this breached their license agreement.

Anyway long story short I still have the 4.02 ROMs registered to some chap in London. As I softload 4.39 or 6.20 at !Boot now it's not really an issue.

I'd be interesting if you can still buy any surplus 4.39 ROMs. I assume CJE have them at lolprices!

markdryan

Postby markdryan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Thank you all for your replies. Knowing that there's not much I can do about this makes it less annoying.

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Would it (the name) have been encrypted? Probably, I suppose, knowing the source! But, it may be worth having a scan!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 am

I've not seen this message on the ROMs I've had in the past, so presumably it was an optional extra?

If the message is displayed in text (rather than a picture), you should be able to include a short "Echo" statement in the your !Boot.!Run file, to overwrite the message as soon as the boot process starts. This way you'll still briefly see the original owner's name, but it is quickly overwritten.

Assuming you have the standard RISC OS 4 / uni-boot structure, then something like the following, placed at the second last line of !Boot.!Run should work:

Code: Select all

If "<Boot$State>" <> "desktop" then Echo <11><11><11><11>This computer belongs to Bob  <10><10><10>

You may need more spaces after the end of the name, to overwrite what was there previously and you'll might need to add or subtract some <11>'s and <10>'s if the message is further up or down the screen (each <11> moves the output up a line, and each <10> returns it back down a line afterwards - which is needed to correctly position the boot file listing).

markdryan

Postby markdryan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks for the tip.

The name appears in two places. Firstly on the console when the machine boots. Secondly, in a small window in the top left hand side of the screen when the desktop first starts.

I tried updating the !Run file as you suggested but no amount of <11>s woud allow me to overwrite the name of the old user. I could get my name to appear just below the name of the old user but not to overwrite it.

Return to “software”