RISC PC - What version of RISC OS do you use?

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

Trapper

RISC PC - What version of RISC OS do you use?

Postby Trapper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Just wondering as I have the following physical ROMs:

* RISC OS 3.50
* RISC OS 3.70
* RISC OS 4.02
* RISC OS 5.22

At the moment I have 4.02 in ROM and then softload 4.39 or 6.20 on top of it for when I'm using my RISC PC.

I was wondering if the best idea is to keep RISC OS 3.70 in ROM and then softload 4.02 and then 4.39/6.20? This means if I am playing a retrogame that requires RISC OS 3.70 I just have to skip the Uni!Boot.

If I then need to do a complex task like create some disc images or transfer data over the network or use my Zip drive to move files to my A3010 I can then let the softload run at !Boot and load 4.39 or 6.20.

I have 128MB of RAM so softloading is not a problem and I have a 203MHz StrongARM. I do have an ARM 610 CPU lying around. I did have my RISC PC running ARM610 with 16MB of RAM and RISC OS 3.50 in ROM for a while to get the full pucker 1994 experience. I can't believe just how slow an ARM610 is compared to a StrongARM. The time taken to !Boot was an order of magnitude longer!

I've always prefered the looks, icons and colour scheme of RISC OS 3.70 over RISC OS 4. I find RISC OS 4/6 to be too grey and boring. 3.70 is colourful and vibrant!

danielj

Re: RISC PC - What version of RISC OS do you use?

Postby danielj » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:20 am

I use 3.7. If you want to use long filenames etc you have to have the 4.02 ROM in there as a minimum. Iirc, You can't softload anything higher than 4.02 over 3.7 ROMs...

Very little to be gained running 6 as I understand it, and if you want 5.x you're best off running it on a rpi :)

d.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:49 am

danielj wrote:You can't softload anything higher than 4.02 over 3.7 ROMs...

That isn't strictly true, I setup my test RiscPC which has 3.7 in ROM, to softload every official OS build release, up to the latest nightly 5.23. !Boot remains the same across them all, but the softload sequence does restore the CMOS for each ROM as the Module order changes across the OS's. The only issue I recall having, was finding a softloader that worked for all ROM's.

To get around the long/short filename issue, there's two drives; the boot drive which contains the softload ROM's, is short filenames with a stub !Boot that softloads a newer FileCore that supports long files pre 4.02 and then redirects !Boot to the second drive, which is long filenames.

That said, I only use it for testing games, so can't say for certain there aren't any issues caused by mixing the !Boot from all the OS's. At some point the !Boot structure changed slightly in 5.x which might be a problem, but generally !Boot provides inbuilt support for multiple major OS versions.

VincentVega

Postby VincentVega » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm still on 3.7 as well, and I too much prefer the look and feel compared to the later versions, as well as the use of the Acorn logo for the switcher icon.

RISC OS 3.7 reminds me of the good old days when computing was fun (i.e. before I started it as a profession) and when Acorn was still around. 4.02 comes from a time when Acorn had gone belly-up and I'd bought my first PC and commenced a career in programming (at that time, using VB6).

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:35 am

sirbod wrote:The only issue I recall having, was finding a softloader that worked for all ROM's.

Jon, I'd be really interested to know which softloader you used in the end? I tried to achieve this set up a year or two ago, but gave up because I couldn't find a softloader which worked for all... It'd be great to give this another try :)

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 am

steve3000 wrote:I'd be really interested to know which softloader you used in the end? I tried to achieve this set up a year or two ago, but gave up because I couldn't find a softloader which worked for all... It'd be great to give this another try :)

Good question and one I don't know the answer too as they're not versioned.

I've attached the contents of my softload boot drive and a README detailing what you need to do. This adds native long file support to RISC OS 3.7, so you need a temp boot drive (ADFS::4) formatted old style with the contents on the ZIP on; your main OS drive (ADFS::5) can then be new style with long filenames and contain a mixed !Boot that covers all OS versions.

The ZIP contains some sample OS softload directories with my CMOS settings for each, just drop the OS ROM's into them and overwrite the CMOS file using !SaveCMOS, once you've softloaded the OS and have it configured how you want it.

One thing to be aware of is the BASIC program that updates FileCore, FileSwitch and ADFS for OS's without long filename support. FileCore doesn't reinitialise filesystems correctly when it initialises, so !Boot.!FileCore.!Run2 is hardcoded to check if SCSIFS, IDEFS etc are active before it updates FileCore and RMReInit's them after. If you have other filesytems, you'll need to modify this program.
Attachments
Softload.zip
(175.83 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:26 am

That's brilliant Jon, thanks!

This gives me the perfect reason to fire up my RiscPC tonight :)

ajw99uk

Postby ajw99uk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:27 pm

4.39 in ROM.

I did set up an alternate !Boot which softloads 5.22 as early as possible and then runs a ROOL boot sequence in place of the RISCOS Ltd one, so the real RPC behaves in the same way as rpcemu set up with a 5.22 ROM image. Not of much practical use though as I lose IDEFS and other podules!
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140

RobC

Postby RobC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:33 pm

4.39 in ROM. I have RO6 on soft-load installed but prefer 4.39.

Return to “software”