Installing the 3 jdf Wolfenstein files

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

KarateEd

Installing the 3 jdf Wolfenstein files

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:25 am

Hi Folks,

I've got the 3 JDF files for Wolfenstein and have never been able to get them properly running. Does anyone know how to get this process working?

Thanks for any help given,

Ed...... :-)

jms2

Re: Installing the 3 jdf Wolfenstein files

Postby jms2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:01 am

Whilst I'm not entirely sure how to do it myself, I do think I have this running on my A440 so I must have figured it out once!

You do have ADFFS running? That's the first step. Then you need to set the file type of the jfD files to "floppy". Then double click the first one and select boot floppy from ADFFS.

Where does that get you?

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:51 am

Hi Jms2,

I have ADDFS 2.61 and VIDC running. When I double click the first diskette (these are all on my H/D) it brings up the usual suspects, 4 files with one being the !Wolf file. When I do a Boot Floppy from the ADDFS file on the task bar, nothing happens at all after selecting YES from the popup window. I'm pretty familiar with how the ADDFS system works.

What I think should happen after I say yes to the popup is it should run the program. It doesn't. I can double click the !Wolf icon and it runs the program through the intro part but when I press a key, it exits after space bar click or mouse click.

Not sure what's happening here.

Thanks very much,

jms2

Postby jms2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:33 am

Hmm... You are definitely doing it correctly. I think I had similar problems until I got hold of the correct floppy images, but I can't remember as it was well over a year ago.

Is this on a Pi or a real machine?

I'll check if mine work.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:37 am

KarateEd wrote:When I do a Boot Floppy from the ADFFS file on the task bar, nothing happens at all after selecting YES from the popup window.

I suspect the floppy doesn't have an ID or has the wrong ID, have a look at the Info page under the ADFFS Filer Format menu. The correct ID for Wolfenstein 3D is 10388. If this is the case, you'll need to manually run !ADFFS.Obey.F1038801

Incidentally, the next release of ADFFS will allow the in-game music to work on GPU based machines.

jms2

Postby jms2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:51 am

I think what Jon means is, have you renamed the image files? Along with all the other clever things that it does, ADFFS looks in the filename for the JASPP reference number and the runs a special !Run file which is in ADFFS.Obey with the filename being the reference number. This is effectively a patching mechanism.

This must be a relatively new feature, because I'm pretty sure I don't remember the old version of ADFFS on my arc having it - I gave all my disc images short names! But 2.61 does have it.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:15 am

jms2 wrote:
Is this on a Pi or a real machine?

Hi jms2,

This is on a real A3010, 4M RAM, IDE controller with laptop 20G drive attached. I've partitioned 9 partitions, of course can only use 8 at one time....

Thanks,

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:17 am

sirbod wrote:
KarateEd wrote:When I do a Boot Floppy from the ADFFS file on the task bar, nothing happens at all after selecting YES from the popup window.

I suspect the floppy doesn't have an ID or has the wrong ID, have a look at the Info page under the ADFFS Filer Format menu. The correct ID for Wolfenstein 3D is 10388. If this is the case, you'll need to manually run !ADFFS.Obey.F1038801

Incidentally, the next release of ADFFS will allow the in-game music to work on GPU based machines.

Hi Jon,

When I run from Obey, it runs the intro and then when I press a key, it asks to press space or mouse and goes back to the desktop.

Thanks,

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:39 am

Hi guys,

Ok, I'll try to show with pics what's happening....

It looks to me like the files are names fine, at least according to the bar above the files as you'll see.

I have tried using Shift <F2> when the intro stops, well it appears to stop, just the music keeps playing.

btw Jon, went back to your site and didn't see the Wolfenstein files there. Did you remove them?

DSCF1402.JPG
This is the Wolfdisk01 file

DSCF1403.JPG
This is the WolfDisk02 file

DSCF1404.JPG
This error message comes up just before the file completes opening with double click on the mouse

DSCF1405.JPG
This is the Wolfdisk03 file finished loading even though it showed an error when opening.....

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 pm

jms2 wrote:I think what Jon means is, have you renamed the image files?

Only the last digit of the filename is used, which denotes the disc number in sets. The ID used to run the boot script comes from the metadata within the JFD file.
KarateEd wrote:When I run from Obey, it runs the intro and then when I press a key, it asks to press space or mouse and goes back to the desktop.

The image is probably missing the disk protection, as it quits at the menu if the protection fails.
KarateEd wrote:btw Jon, went back to your site and didn't see the Wolfenstein files there. Did you remove them?

Wolfenstein 3D has not been made available from JASPP as the project doesn't have permission to release it.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:15 am

Hi Jon,

I suppose I mis-remembered where I got the files from. That would explain why they don't work. Now that I'm used to your JFD system, nearly everything works out for me (at least from your site).

Thanks for the update and keeping people clear on what's legal and what's not.

That would also explain the LOL prices on eBay for this game.

jms2

Postby jms2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:00 am

sirbod wrote:
jms2 wrote:I think what Jon means is, have you renamed the image files?

Only the last digit of the filename is used, which denotes the disc number in sets. The ID used to run the boot script comes from the metadata within the JFD.

Ah, that makes sense! I knew about the last digit arrangement, but I thought the id number was also needed to appear in the filename now because the JASPP images always have it.

This brings me to question I was going to ask - I've picked up bits and pieces of knowledge about how ADFFS works from the release notes, posts on the forums etc but is there a single place where this information can be found? Just a kind of summary of the key technical points. I know it's doing some incredible stuff and so it would be useful to know roughly what's going on and also dispel any misunderstanding such as mine above.

KarateEd wrote:When I run from Obey, it runs the intro and then when I press a key, it asks to press space or mouse and goes back to the desktop.

The image is probably missing the disk protection, as it quits at the menu if the protection fails.
KarateEd wrote:btw Jon, went back to your site and didn't see the Wolfenstein files there. Did you remove them?

I checked mine, and they don't appear to work either, probably for the same reason.
Wolfenstein 3D has not been made available from JASPP as the project doesn't have permission to release it.[/quote]

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 am

jms2 wrote:I've picked up bits and pieces of knowledge about how ADFFS works from the release notes, posts on the forums etc but is there a single place where this information can be found? Just a kind of summary of the key technical points. I know it's doing some incredible stuff and so it would be useful to know roughly what's going on and also dispel any misunderstanding such as mine above.

If you want technical details, I witter on about the intricacies of just about every aspect of ADFFS on the JASPP forum - I use it as a mental reminder of what I've done, how I've done it and what needs doing.

What I believe you're after is a "How To" and a "Technical Overview" of ADFFS. I'm planning on doing some videos to cover this, but it won't be until after the children go back to school, as I don't get a minute's silence, let alone a few hours to record videos.

Essentially ADFFS does very little. For example, when a game is running on the Pi the original code is natively executing on the CPU, ADFFS simply replaces problematic instructions with codelets that perform the same function and performs sample rate conversion on the audio. There's no CPU emulation, the only emulation in ADFFS is the 1772 (APD floppy images), IOC (Timers 0 and 1) and MEMC (Sound, Video and Cursor DMA). VIDC1 registers are translated to VIDC20 equivalents and the blitter provides VIDC20 video output by blitting DA2 (the old screen buffer) to the actual screen buffer.

Return to “software”