How do I get !boot to auto load?

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

KarateEd

How do I get !boot to auto load?

Postby KarateEd » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm on an A3010. I've created at !boot file which resides on Part1 of a 5 part partitioned IDE (2G) laptop drive. There are a couple of things I'm unsure about and I'm sure that's causing me issues getting the !Boot file to come up automatically.

One is the *configure drive - can't seem to put any information about IDEFS::Part1.$ in there which is what I would have thought you might need to let the system know where the !Boot file exists.

I have configured Boot to be well, Boot.

I did check the box when creating the !Boot file to ensure it was bootable.

I've attached the file for people to peruse if they wish. It does seem to work well when I double click it to run, at least it does everything I expect it to do. There are some things in there that the system put in but they don't seem to do any harm and are just allowing me to access things more quickly I suspect.

!boot.txt
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
(you can look at this is notepad or any text editor.

Thanks for any help you can supply.

Ed...... :-)

steve3000

Re: How do I get !boot to auto load?

Postby steve3000 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 pm

You need to configure your drive to a number, just like with *Drive on the beeb. If the partition was the first one formatted, then it's probably Drive 4.

Easiest way to test. Type:

Code: Select all

*IDEFS
*DRIVE 4

If that doesn't list the correct contents, try drives 5, 6 and 7.

Also you'll need to configure the filing system to start in IDEFS, with *configure filesystem IDEFS

Once you find the right drive, you may need to use *Opt 4,2 to ensure it runs the Boot file too :)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Yup, that got it sorted out. Now I just have to figure out why my brand new Varta won't stay charged. It's good if I power down and start up within a couple minutes but much longer than 10 or 15 minutes, it's like the battery is discharged and the settings in the BIOS are gone. It's not a huge issues as I can start with Power On/R and reload the !Boot file from the HD, it's just a nuisance.

Thanks very much Steve.....

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:28 am

I had this on my A3010. The battery is at the top right if the motherboard is viewed from the front but the charging circuit is close to the keyboard connectors. In my case there was a break in the hair-like track to the battery from the charging circuit. Putting a thin wire in parallel solved the problem.

So, my advice is check the continuity of the charging circuit; there could be a broken track.

It is also possible that your Varta battery is broken. I know it is new but new things are not always perfect (he says knowledgeably).

Good luck with your detective work.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Just a funky update on my machine.

I turned it on this morning after it had been off all night and voila..... up she booted. I'm wondering if configuring it to boot from HD has anything to do with it. I really can't see why it would but who knows..... it booted up after a long time off. or maybe it's just going to be one of those really hard to solve issues because it's on and off...... :-(

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 pm

It's still working just fine after another night off so I guess changing to the right filing system seems to have it solved.

Now, if I have the patience I suppose I'll have to leave it off for a few nights before turning it on to see how that goes. If that works then I know the problem is solved. At any rate, even if it fails, I can run the !Boot file manually if I have to the first time to refresh the BIOS and it will all be good.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Well, the last 2 days, booting back to supervisor so don't really know what's going on.

and like I said, it's not a huge deal as I can just manually run !Boot but it's be good to have a solution sooooooo...... for those that have seen this kind of thing, what's the first thing to check out?

Thanks very much for perusing, any possible solutions most welcome.

and sorry John, just reread your post, haven't done those yet so will when I get the nerve to take the machine apart again.....

Return to “software”