Editing the palette in !Paint

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

geraldholdsworth

Editing the palette in !Paint

Postby geraldholdsworth » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:25 am

Am I missing the obvious, but if I create a 256 colour sprite in !Paint, with a palette, how does one then edit this palette?
I can find the 'Edit Palette' menu option, but is greyed out. Is this because it is this 'Partial Palette'? If so, how do I create a 'Full Palette' 256 colour sprite?
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

paulb

Re: Editing the palette in !Paint

Postby paulb » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 pm

geraldholdsworth wrote:Am I missing the obvious, but if I create a 256 colour sprite in !Paint, with a palette, how does one then edit this palette?
I can find the 'Edit Palette' menu option, but is greyed out. Is this because it is this 'Partial Palette'? If so, how do I create a 'Full Palette' 256 colour sprite?

I didn't think you were allowed to edit the palette in !Paint for 256-colour images. The reason is mostly due to the way VIDC10 provides palettes for 256-colour modes, which doesn't allow "free" assignments of physical colours for each of the logical entries. And I guess that although the developers could have replicated the restrictions and provided an interface for whole-palette modifications, maybe they couldn't decide how best to do so, and perhaps it wasn't seen as being a priority.

After all, the desktop didn't allow modifications to the palette in 256-colour modes, either, so it wasn't like people would then want to make things like icons that need a different palette. Obviously, full-screen applications are a different matter. And I imagine that updating !Paint for VIDC20 wasn't really a priority, either. It's possible that the original authors didn't even still work at Acorn by then.

geraldholdsworth

Re: Editing the palette in !Paint

Postby geraldholdsworth » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:33 pm

paulb wrote:I didn't think you were allowed to edit the palette in !Paint for 256-colour images.

Cheers Paul - I've actually done a bit of digging, since I posted this, and found that it can be done. What you need to do is save the palette out, then drag it back in. It then allows editing of the palette.

I knew it could be done, somehow, as I found a sprite (in Wimpsprites) which was 256 colour, with a full 256 colour palette, and had different colours to the default.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Return to “software”