Several lamer's questions

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures


litwr
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:44 am

Several lamer's questions

Postby litwr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 pm

1. Is there ways to make Archimedes of the 80s faster? To stop video or something else? Some magic Basic commands?
2. What does DEBUG-command make? I tried it with command line and got a prompt changed from * to DEBUG*. Any details or links?
A lot of thanks in advance. :)

sirbod
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Several lamer's questions

Postby sirbod » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:38 am

litwr wrote:1. Is there ways to make Archimedes of the 80s faster? To stop video or something else? Some magic Basic commands?

What are you trying to speed up? You only get a minor speed improvement by shutting off MEMC Video and Sound DMA with OS_UpdateMEMC. You want to set bits 10 (video) and 11 (sound) to 0:

Code: Select all

SYS "OS_UpdateMEMC",0,%11 << 10

Turn them back on with:

Code: Select all

SYS "OS_UpdateMEMC",%11 << 10,%11 << 10

litwr wrote:2. What does DEBUG-command make? I tried it with command line and got a prompt changed from * to DEBUG*.

*DEBUG is just a command line shell.

litwr
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Several lamer's questions

Postby litwr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 am

More thanks for the detailed help. :) However the purpose of *DEBUG still misses me. I called it from BASIC and got DEBUG* prompt. I can't catch the difference between it and the standard *-prompt.

litwr
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Several lamer's questions

Postby litwr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 am

I have another question for Basic. I want to load a ML program. I use

Code: Select all

OSCLI "LOAD PROGNAME "+STR$~ADDR
.
This doesn't work with GUI. I should add a path (folder) of PROGNAME before PROGNAME. How to get this path? Are there other ways?

sirbod
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Several lamer's questions

Postby sirbod » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:37 am

litwr wrote:I can't catch the difference between it and the standard *-prompt.

There is no difference that I'm aware of. Under the hood it may install a different error handler, but it's not something you'd notice and certainly isn't documented.
litwr wrote:I have another question for Basic. I want to load a ML program. I use

Code: Select all

OSCLI "LOAD PROGNAME "+STR$~ADDR
.
This doesn't work with GUI. I should add a path (folder) of PROGNAME before PROGNAME. How to get this path? Are there other ways?

Run programs from the GUI via an Obey script in the same directory and set an environmental variable. eg

Obey script:

Code: Select all

Set myprog$Dir <obey$dir>
mybasicprog

mybasicprog

Code: Select all

OSCLI "LOAD <myprog$dir>.PROGNAME "+STR$~ADDR

litwr
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Several lamer's questions

Postby litwr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks. :) However I can think that I have found a bit shorter way.
Obey script:

Code: Select all

<obey$dir>.prog

I had to add <obey$dir> prefix. A script doesn't work with GUI without it for me.
Basic line:

Code: Select all

OSCLI "LOAD <obey$dir>.PROGNAME "+STR$~ADDR

sirbod
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Several lamer's questions

Postby sirbod » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:22 pm

litwr wrote:

Code: Select all

OSCLI "LOAD <obey$dir>.PROGNAME "+STR$~ADDR

Using Obey$Dir in a program is never a good idea, as it changes whenever an obey script is executed. It will be okay, provided you load all your files as soon as the program runs, and never have to access local files again.


Return to “software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest