Unreleased games

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

SarahWalker

Unreleased games

Postby SarahWalker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:00 pm

I was digging through some of my old files recently, and found a list of unreleased games that I'd collated from various sources (mainly Usenet), with a view to making a "Games That Weren't" site that never happened. Thought I'd post the list here. Does anyone have any more knowledge about any of these games?

3D Pool (Rainbird?) - Previewed in Acorn User in 1988

Age of War (Orbsoft) - ?

Batman (Ocean) - Rumored in TGM Nov 1989.

Big Red Racing (Eidos) - Rumored at one point. PC version written by Fred R Williams (author of Pushy 2)

Biohazard (Machine Love/Frank Isidor) - Frank moved on to other things. Demo + (most) source available on Arcade BBS.

Bolo (Stuart Cheshire) - probably never started

Bowladroids (Magnetic Images) - Bit like Bomberman. Simon Clay

Brixx (Superior Software) - Mentioned in TGM Sept 1988

California Games (US Gold) - Mentioned in TGM Nov 1989.

Chaos Engine (Krisalis) - Unreleased until 2000

Creatures, Sim Earth, Sim Ant, A-Train, Vikings, Cadaver, Star Trek, Chuck Rock 2, SAS, Lord Of The Rings 1&2, El-Fish (all Krisalis) - All rights held by Krisalis - any started?

Dark Future (Grasshopper Software)

Darklands (?) - 2001

Deliverer (Superior Software) - Mentioned in TGM Sept 1988

Eat My Dust (VOTI) - VOTI left the market in 2002
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... de4b163171

Empire Soccer (Empire) - Received very limited release.

Exile (Audiogenic) - Disagreements between Audiogenic and coder/organiser?

F-16 : Fighting Falcon (R-Comp) - Canned due to speed problems - 1999

Firestarter (Insomnia Studios) - To be written by Andrew Docking (author of 4D's Drifter). Tomb Raider clone. Preview at AcornArcade.

FQuake (?) - was meant to be turned into a game at one point

Frak 3 (Aardvark) - a demo of a 3d platformer

Globdule (Image Systems) - Released on Amiga but intended for Acorn

Iron Dignity (Artex Software) - Canned on RiscPC, released on PC. 2 early demos released.

Hard Drivin' (Domark) - Mentioned in TGM Nov 1989.

Jimmy White's Snooker (?) - Mentioned on c.s.a.games

Karma II (?)

King And Country (Software7) - Abandoned in 1997?

Last Offence (Modus Software) - demo released. 1997

Leaderboard (US Gold) - Mentioned in TGM Nov 1989. A later version was released in 1994.

Legend (Micro Power) - Shown at an Acorn World show, Micro Power went under?

Metal Fighters 3000 (Fantasia) - canned in favour of Toy Chronicles

Myth (Magnetic Scrolls) - No Acorn version released. Never got a proper release on other machines though, only available by joining an adventure club.

Nevyron 2 (Fourth Dimension) - Released as Technodream by Superior

Nexus War (A Jackson)

Oblivion (Quantum) - 1997. Coder went to work for Gremlin

Operation Thunderbolt (Ocean) - Rumored in TGM Nov 1989.

Pinball Dreams (Krisalis) - Supposed to be released in 1994

Powermonger (Krisalis) - Apparently started

Proposal (TBA) - 1996

Puzznic (Ocean) - Shown at an Acorn World show? 1990/91?

Quake (TBA Software) - Never finished, R-Comp released ArcQuake instead

Rome AD (Gamesware)

Scorpius (Arxe) - Arxe folded. Demo available

Seige (Shibumi Software)

Skirmish (Kindred Software) - Put on hold in January 2001

Soccer Kid (Krisalis) - Shareware version never started, commercial version never finished?
http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/Features ... /SKid.html

Sphericule (US Gold) - Mentioned in TGM Nov 1989.

Spitfire Fury (Fourth Dimension) - turned into Birds of War

Star Glider 2 (Rainbird) - sure I read about this somewhere...

Striker (Gamesware)

Stryker's Run III (Machine Love, ?) - Two versions by two different teams. One version by David Jefferies, abandoned in 1997

Super Snail 2 (?) - 1998

Tales of Anubus (?) - Written by Ray Maidstone

Tellomere (?) - Written by David Sharp. 1998

The Thing of Darkness (Eterna) - Eterna quit the market

The Untouchables (Ocean) - Rumored in TGM Nov 1989.

Toybox Dreams (Paradise Software) - 2000

ToyParty (Fantasia) - 2001

Toy Chronicles (Fantasia) - ?

Turrican 3 (Rainbow Arts/Factor 5) - Mentioned in PC Turrican 3 demo (never released either - see pcGTW)

Warzone (Jason Tribbeck)

Wing Commander (?) - Mentioned on c.s.a.games

Wipeout 2097 (Acorn) - Kevin Lingley at Acorn arranged the rights. Then Acorn got rid of him.

Virus 2000 (David Braben) - David Braben ran a poll on c.s.a.games in 1998

Volfied (Empire) - ?

Zool 2 (Gremlin) - Canned due to poor sales of Premier Manager. Probably never started.

Unnamed conversion (VOTI) - Intended for Microdigital Omega - SF3000 TNG?

Unnamed tank game (Fednet) - ?

Wipeout clone (Andrew Docking) - Commissioned by Acorn for SA RiscPC. To be bundled with the machines at one point (!). This may in fact have been Wipeout 2097 at one point.

'Crusades' game (Chris Knight) - Mentioned on STH and in A&B Computing June 1989

davidb

Re: Unreleased games

Postby davidb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:22 pm

SarahWalker wrote:I was digging through some of my old files recently, and found a list of unreleased games that I'd collated from various sources (mainly Usenet), with a view to making a "Games That Weren't" site that never happened. Thought I'd post the list here. Does anyone have any more knowledge about any of these games?

Others know a lot more about some of these than I do, so I'll just chip in with comments about two of them:
3D Pool (Rainbird?) - Previewed in Acorn User in 1988

Isn't this 3D Pool (Firebird)?

Bolo (Stuart Cheshire) - probably never started

This was superseded by the Mac version. See the second page scan from the O Bolo Mio article near the top of the Bolo Pages for a little more information about it.

flibble

Postby flibble » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Karma II (?)

This probably refers to 'Karma' the complete game as opposed to the released 'flight trainer' version. Project stopped due to death of one of the programmers.

Spitfire Fury (Fourth Dimension) - turned into Birds of War

Nope, two separate games. Spitfire Fury is another game by Andrew Hutchins (of Chocks Away), during one of his interviews he basically explains that he just didn't get around to finishing it cos he was enjoying the money from chocks away too much :D

I had the same impression as the author of this article that it was released by APDL on compilation CD. But it seems a second Spitfire Fury (a flight sim toolkit game) is the one included.

http://www.apdl.org.uk/riscworld/volume ... /index.htm

Stryker's Run III (Machine Love, ?) - Two versions by two different teams. One version by David Jefferies, abandoned in 1997

This one I don't know much about, other than I knew one of the people writing the music for it. I have the music for it in Xenakis format (the music peeps were also the people programming the Xenakis tracker).

finisterre

Postby finisterre » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Frak 3? Was there ever a Frak 2?

SarahWalker

Postby SarahWalker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Frak 2 is mentioned as a BBC isometric thingy in Stairway To Hell's Lost+Found section.

RobC

Postby RobC » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:21 pm

SarahWalker wrote:Empire Soccer (Empire) - Received very limited release.

I may still have this somewhere - I picked up the disk in a bundle of stuff and remembered seeing it at one of the AU shows. However, my memory says the disk wasn't much good on its own as you needed to key in some stuff from the accompanying booklet as a copy protection mechanism.

SarahWalker wrote:Leaderboard (US Gold) - Mentioned in TGM Nov 1989. A later version was released in 1994

The first game I bought for my A3000 (in mid-1990) was a version of Leaderboard but my memory says it was "World Class Leaderboard". It was definitely an Arthur-era game as it was SHIFT-BREAK to load etc. I should still have the disk.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Chaos Engine (Krisalis) - Was developed to near completion by Krisalis around the time they shutdown, was completed by R-Comp and released in 2000

Darklands - There's two games of this name, the later I don't believe was ever released

Eat My Dust (VOTI) - VoTI abandoned development, although it was near complete. Same goes for Sumisu Sam

Empire Soccer (Empire) - Was released (video)

F-16 : Fighting Falcon (R-Comp) - Wasn't completed. R-Comp were going to pass the source code to me, if they could locate it. It ran at 13/14 fps @ 640x480 on the Iyonix and was playable, with music. There was also Apache, source code of which possibly exists somewhere and one other unnamed title, possibly also a flight sim. Development ceased on all three as "no-one was really interested in flight sims".

Iron Dignity (Artex Software) - Abandoned (video)

Karma II (?) - This is probably referring to Karma (as opposed to Karma: The Flight Trainer), which was abandoned following the death of one of the developers

Leaderboard (US Gold) -World Class Leaderboard (video) by ACCESS Software probably, it's on my list of games to publicly release

Oblivion (Quantum) - Abandoned, R-Comp have a 2-level demo they were going to send me, if they could locate it. Developed by Jack Parkinson; Phil Lund (graphics)

Powermonger (Krisalis) - Abandoned when Krisalis closed. I spoke to one of the devs who confirmed all source code was lost or destroyed

Scorpius (Arxe) - I've spoken to one of the developers. Most of the second level was complete, as an icy theme and additional weapon types were created. It was never completed due a combination of not being paid and burnout. I have permission to release what was coded, but a copy hasn't been located yet. A demo of level 1 was released (video)

Soccer Kid (Krisalis) - Same as Powermonger

Spitfire Fury (Fourth Dimension) - I suspect development never started as I have a copy of Andrew Hutchings development machine, from what I understand to be the final days of development and it doesn't contain anything related to Spitfire Fury.

The Thing of Darkness (Eterna) - I've spoken to the Eterna team, all source and originals are lost

Toybox Dreams (Paradise Software) - Unreleased, although appeared to be mostly developed. A non-playable demo was released on the Acorn User 200th edition CD, I'm hoping to do a recording of it soon

Unnamed conversion (VOTI) - Intended for Microdigital Omega - SF3000 TNG? - StarFighter 3000 TNG - it was released on a RiscWorld disc.

Unnamed tank game (Fednet) - ? - BattleTanks (VoTI) - it was released in 2001 incomplete. There's an early build on Acorn Arcade
Last edited by sirbod on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

trixster

Postby trixster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:22 am

Legend - is this the one released on the Amiga and PC by Mindscape? One of my favourite games ever.

I still cannot quite believe the Arc never got a version of Exile. The Amiga/ST conversion was absolutely brilliant but I'm sure the Arc could have done even better. A missed opportunity.
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + RPi2 CoPro + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO

RobC

Postby RobC » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 am

sirbod wrote:Spitfire Fury (Fourth Dimension) - It wasn't a Fourth Dimension title, but was released by APDL on the Flight Simulators CD...incomplete I believe

This rang a bell with me. I bought a copy on disk from a PD library (possibly APDL) in the early nineties and it wasn't bad. However, I also remember the 4D adverts for a Spitfire game and I don't think it was the same one. This seems to back that up: http://www.apdl.org.uk/riscworld/volumes/volume6/issue1/fsim/index.htm

I remember the sampled speech during the loading/introduction screen and it was pretty good!

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 am

RobC wrote:I bought a copy on disk from a PD library (possibly APDL) in the early nineties and it wasn't bad. However, I also remember the 4D adverts for a Spitfire game and I don't think it was the same one.

Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, I suspect development never started as I have a copy of Andrew Hutchings development machine, from what I understand to be the final days of development and it doesn't contain anything related to Spitfire Fury.

EDIT: Update on F16 - It ran at 13/14 fps @ 640x480 on the Iyonix and was playable, with music. There was also Apache, source code of which possibly exists somewhere and one other unnamed title, possibly also a flight sim. Development ceased on all three as "no-one was really interested in flight sims".

RobC

Postby RobC » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:04 pm

For anyone wishing to try it, looks like the PD Spitfire Fury is here: http://www.apdl.org.uk/apdlpd/library/files/g/g150.zip

I haven't tried it yet but the catalogue says: "Spitfire Fury by John Haddon. As the name suggests this is a flight sim game where you fly a Spitfire in 1939. There are twelve missions plus a practice mission. Scenery is quite good and varied".

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:31 pm

On the subject of "Unreleased games", were Stunt Racer 2000 Extra Tracks Series 3 or the Stunt Racer 2000 Track Designer ever released?

I have both, which could probably be released if someone is prepared to test them to confirm they work.

The Wimp version of the track designer can be downloaded here.
Last edited by sirbod on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidjefferies

Postby davidjefferies » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:48 pm

SarahWalker wrote:Stryker's Run III (Machine Love, ?) - Two versions by two different teams. One version by David Jefferies, abandoned in 1997

it was so long ago I can hardly remember but I'm pretty sure there was only ever one team working on SRIII. At some point we split with the guy who negotiated the license (Machine Love) and did our own thing - possibly calling ourselves Godhead. There were 4 of us working on it but after we finished our degrees Mike (art) and me (code) got jobs in the games industry at Psygnosis and Argonaut and after trying to finish it in our spare time eventually abandoned it in 1997. I've still got my RiscPC and set it up a few years ago and the game is still on there and working so I'll try and dig it out again when I get a chance. I used to think it was about 80% complete but looking at it again it was only 50% complete at a push :)

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:16 pm

sirbod wrote:On the subject of "Unreleased games", were Stunt Racer 2000 Extra Tracks Series 3 or the Stunt Racer 2000 Track Designer ever released?

I have both, which could probably be released if someone is prepared to test them to confirm they work.

I don't know if the track designer was ever officially released, but my brother and I certainly had a track designer for SR2000, and spent days battling against each other on our custom tracks... :)

I vaguely remember the designer being a PD or maybe a magazine disc release, but whether that was by the original team or by someone else, I don't recall.

I'd be very interested in trying this out again though. And happy to do some testing.

Return to “software”