AdAstra by Ray Loades-Bannon, MyWorld, and other software

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

euronymous

AdAstra by Ray Loades-Bannon, MyWorld, and other software

Postby euronymous » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 am

Hey there, I've recently set up my Gotek drive to work with my Archimedes A3000 so have been trying to track down some software I had as a kid.

As I'm using the Gotek on a real A3000 I need ADF files which I then convert to HFE files.

Firstly, one of the most played games was "AdAstra" by Ray Loades-Bannon. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfZGawAuMc

I cannot find any ADF file of that through Google. I found a newsgroup post from 1991 that suggests it may be found on a magazine careware disk C002, containing: Disc editor for ADFS & MSDOS, Disassembler, Squish (Basic compressor), Fractal curves, Adastra (Asteroids game), Yahtzee, Calendar, Maxgammon & Basic Editor Icon."

So if somebody has an ADF version of AdAstra please let me have a link :D

Secondly, I am looking for MyWorld 1 and 2, by Northwest SEMERC (again, ADF files). The MyWorld series is still in production, so I contacted Inclusive Technologies and I also contacted Dial Solutions, but both of them said they don't have it any more and not sure where to find it. So if somebody has a link to that, it would also be great.

Finally, there is probably a lot of software I would like to track down and run that is no longer commercially available. I have seen mentions of the "Acorn Software Preservation Project" but it doesn't seem to have a website with a list of files to download, just some sort of forum thread with updates? And the files are in a strange format that is not ADF? Not entirely sure what that project is all about. Is there some sort of place that has thousands of ADF files for Archimedes programs?

I know for the Beeb, with the Retroclinic DataCentre there is a CD that has hundreds and hundreds of pieces of software archived from magazines, schools etc. Basically looking for something similar for the Arch.

Thanks for the help!

sirbod

Re: AdAstra by Ray Loades-Bannon, MyWorld, and other software

Postby sirbod » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:34 am

euronymous wrote:I have seen mentions of the "Acorn Software Preservation Project" but it doesn't seem to have a website with a list of files to download, just some sort of forum thread with updates? And the files are in a strange format that is not ADF?

No website, just the development forum which also hosts most of the games the project has gained rights to release.

Floppy images are in a proprietary format (fully documented however) that contains metadata, scripts to run them and the contents of the original floppy with protection intact. You can open them with ADFFS, which is also available on the site, although won't be much use to you as it requires a 4mb machine. Emulator wise, Arculator and MAME have support in custom builds, not sure when either will be generally available though.

Very few of the games we've release would work as an ADF, as they'd fail their disc protection checks.
euronymous wrote:Not entirely sure what that project is all about.

Preserving and gaining legal rights to release ex-commercial titles. The full Archives, which are available on the dev forum, contain box scans, PDF manuals, cheats, screenshots, scans of the floppy and the floppy images themselves.

As a side project ADFFS also contains a VMM, JIT and Hypervisor/Paravirtualizer that gets games to run on modern RISCOS machines, such as the Pi2/3, Pi Zero etc. The idea is, you can build a RISCOS games machine for under £10 and run the games for real, without resorting to emulation or spending hundreds on an original Arc.
euronymous wrote:Is there some sort of place that has thousands of ADF files for Archimedes programs?

Very few Archimedes games have been publicly released by the Authors/Publisher, there are some ADF's floating around that contain pirated copies from back in the day, with protection stipped out. Try Qube FTP or possibly the Acorn Archimedes TOSEC

For ZIP'd originals try Acorn Arcade, there's also Burn 'Out and Dune II both released by their authors.

Trapper

Re: AdAstra by Ray Loades-Bannon, MyWorld, and other software

Postby Trapper » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:21 pm

I have a MyWorld 2 disc - the one that popped up on eBay earlier this year.

I'll get an ADF image when I get chance. It's difficult on a 2Mb A3010 - however earlier versions of ADFFS do work!

Return to “software”