SimCity copy protection

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

Trapper

SimCity copy protection

Postby Trapper » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Does anyone know how to bypass the copy protection on SimCity to stop the constant disasters? All the ADF/APD images I have are original with no modifications!

sirbod

Re: SimCity copy protection

Postby sirbod » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:15 am

The copy protection should work from ADF, as its only going to stop the casual file copy. It reads track 159 sectors 1, 2 and 4 all of which are normal sized sectors. It's entirely possible its a bug, depending on which OS version its being run on; looking at the date it would be a RISCOS 2 release which works up to 3.71 but is not StrongARM compatible.

The project owns the rights to it and its one of the games to be released in the next batch. If I get the floppy image ready, perhaps you could test it with ADFFS and confirm it works as expected? If so, drop me a PM with your eMail address.

Andrew_Waite

Postby Andrew_Waite » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Thank you for the truly awesome Archimedes Software Preservation Project! have spent much of the last week playing Lemmings on my A3010.

Any chance that the Archimedes Software Preservation Project could release the Acorn version of SimCity 2000?

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Andrew_Waite wrote:Any chance that the Archimedes Software Preservation Project could release the Acorn version of SimCity 2000?

The project owns the rights, so yes. I've not looked at it yet, but I have a horrible feeling it has a huge manual that will need scanning / OCR first. There's also two official releases, one for the A5000 and another for RiscPC.

Trapper

Postby Trapper » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:23 pm

I ended up buying the floppy on eBay.

On a 2mb A3010 I can't run the later versions of ADFFS - it just doesn't work well with under 4Mb of RAM, and my RISC PC is still in pieces under the piano!

Trapper

Postby Trapper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:03 pm

RISC PC now in pieces, but working!

SimCity doesn't seem to want to run even with !StrongGuard from the original floppy. I assume ADFFS will solve this?

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:38 am

Trapper wrote:SimCity doesn't seem to want to run even with !StrongGuard from the original floppy. I assume ADFFS will solve this?

I don't think I've tested it on a physical StrongARM RiscPC, either open the ADFFS Help file to find the game ID, or look on the Boot Scripts page, then look in the !ADFFS.Obey file for the relevent Boot Script and launch it to run the game from physical floppy.

I am currently fixing issues in ADFFS when run on ARM6/7 macrocells or StrongARM, so if it fails let me know. Unfortunately there's just too many games and combinations of CPU and OS version for me to test them all, so I'm very reliant on community feedback to find bugs. It seems some bugs crept in quite a few builds back and went unnoticed which I've fixed in the past few weeks, there's also an errata on ARM7 macrocells that I've spent the past week trying to locate and finally found a workaround on Friday.

Your luck will depend a lot on the OS version you're running. RO4 you can forget running games on, as the underlying changes to the way the OS allocates VRAM break just about every game, even ADFFS can't fix this. RO3.71 is the best for backward compatibility, most games I've tested under ADFFS will run on RO3.71.

What is more difficult to determine, is if a game is StrongARM compatible. ADFFS can fix that, but I only turn it on in the script if the game explicitly states it's not SA compatible or it's been tested and found to be incompatible. Generally, if it's known to work on the Pi, it should work on StrongARM as they use the same engine. Self-modifying code and some explicit instructions are not StrongARM compatible, the ADFFS JIT resolves these issues.

Return to “software”